Steven Bergwijn

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Moura at least has a high workrate. Presses the defence and wins the ball and is useful in the air.

Bergjwin just seems to run around the center circle looking lost.
Also Moura can come into games in comps like this and score goals and be heavily involved.

He is the definition of a decent squad player, Bergwijn looks no different if he's playing against City or Marine. Games just pass him by.

Also Moura can come into games in comps like this and score goals and be heavily involved.

He is the definition of a decent squad player, Bergwijn looks no different if he's playing against City or Marine. Games just pass him by.

He'll give you the occasional goal, but it's the performances in between them that is the issue. He has no mind for the game, constantly turns over the ball with bad passes or first-touches. The only thing that he provides is that he isn't afraid to pick up the ball and run at a defense.

Just running around a lot doesn't make him a better footballer.

He'll give you the occasional goal, but it's the performances in between them that is the issue. He has no mind for the game, constantly turns over the ball with bad passes or first-touches. The only thing that he provides is that he isn't afraid to pick up the ball and run at a defense.

Yep. It is weird. Sometimes he looks like he’s never played the game before. It can’t all be down to a lack of confidence. I do think he will improve once he gets a goal or two. Can we wait that long?

Think people are harsh on Bergwijn

He came on when the team weren't really playing at their best and then he has 1 chance which imo is well defended.

He definitely lacks confidence , really hoping he gets a goal soon enough , he's a good player.

He came on when the team weren't really playing at their best and then he has 1 chance which imo is well defended.

He definitely lacks confidence , really hoping he gets a goal soon enough , he's a good player.
im not even sure a goal is going to do anything for him. he literally looks like hes at work rather than trying to win a game of football for his team. i thought he was going to face up to defenders and look to go round them but we never see that, he is the attacking version of winks just with better touch etc

he isn’t a good player though. Tell me where you get that from? Scored a lovely goal on his debut and looked really promising. Had the odd good game, then been utter dross since. Incredibly overweight and has a touch of a baby giraffe, plus he can’t finish his dinner. He simply isn’t good enough.

When this guy signed and after the debut against City we all got excited but he simply hasn't produced.

We were promised a speedster, a good old fashioned tricky winger who can beat a man and deliver, instead all he wants to do is go sideways or backwards, he doesn't even try and take a man on.

I'll give him a bit of credit, he works hard for the team but that's not what he is in the side for, he is there to produce and create. If he couldn't create anything in 45 against that dross last night he ain't good enough, same as Winks tidy but ultimately ineffective.

he isn’t a good player though. Tell me where you get that from? Scored a lovely goal on his debut and looked really promising. Had the odd good game, then been utter dross since. Incredibly overweight and has a touch of a baby giraffe, plus he can’t finish his dinner. He simply isn’t good enough.
He looked good for PSV

He has a bit of confidence issue like Sessegnon
They seem to be afraid to take on their man. Not sure if its coached ..

Agree 100%

I had high hopes for him after his debut goal against City, but I haven't seen anything of note from him since then tbh.

I say we cut him loose at the end of the season and give his place to someone in the academy or to a player that has better decision making skills...for what he brings to the team, he just ain't worth it.

I think your first point suggests he's definitely not having any trouble finishing his dinners! :allitongue:

Given the latest developements he ain't gonna start a meaningful game in a while, will he.

I mean Bale is rediscovering his form and based on recent games is not even in the same universe as Stevie.
Alli is waking up to life, scoring and assisting in the same game where Stevie did nothing significant.
Moura has been scoring and even giving an assist recently.

All of them have to be miles ahead of Bergwijn. Even Lamela has had few games where he has been energetic and creating chances even if others around him are bad.

Son and Kane are virtually undroppable anyway... so that makes him 7th pick from attacking players. So most likely gets some playing time in EL when we HAVE TO rotate heavily or coming on in dying phases of the games when we have comfortable lead. But for that he would have to make it to bench... which he has not in last 2 EPL games.

But let's face it, it has gone rightfully so.

I kinda feel bad for him, but once more - his position is currently earned.
He like ... should have the attributes to be better. But it is not showing in his performances.

Given the latest developements he ain't gonna start a meaningful game in a while, will he.

I mean Bale is rediscovering his form and based on recent games is not even in the same universe as Stevie.
Alli is waking up to life, scoring and assisting in the same game where Stevie did nothing significant.

All of them have to be miles ahead of Bergwijn. Even Lamela has had few games where he has been energetic and creating chances even if others around him are bad.

Son and Kane are virtually undroppable anyway... so that makes him 7th pick from attacking players. So most likely gets some playing time in EL when we HAVE TO rotate heavily or coming on in dying phases of the games when we have comfortable lead. But for that he would have to make it to bench... which he has not in last 2 EPL games.

He like ... should have the attributes to be better. But it is not showing in his performances.
I think he's not in the squad right now because everyone is back and Mourinho wants a balanced bench.

I hope he gets into the squad for Fulham or gets a chance in the Europa league

Mourinho trusts him for the big games and there's a reason for it. He just needs a goal to get a bit of confidence back. I've definitely not given up on the guy. He needs time.

If he had played today and found himself in the same position as Bale, does anyone seriously think he would have scored either goal?

Bale no but switch him with Moura today and he scores the same goal Moura did and likely at least one more while providing much more passing quality as well.

Actually thought he looked a bit more direct in the europa league game (i think) ..

I think he has been struggling for confidence for a while and still think he has the ability to come good.

Agree however that he's pretty low down the pecking order at the moment and deservedly so.

I think of everyone that started today Bale is the most likely to need a rest or be sat by Jose, excluding injuries. So I could easily see Bergwijn starting against Palace with Bale sitting that one out.

Likely starts in EL if Bale plays both PL games, so I don't think he is done starting.

But who knows what Jose is thinking, he may be willing to run players into the ground to try and save his job so Bale might keep getting put out there every game now that he looks to have found favor with Jose.

Jose said he wouldn't have bought him (although he came after Jose became manager) but that he was happy with the signing.
Total BS, of course.
He puts in a shift but we have properly spunked a load of dough on not good enough foreign players.

Why can't we just want Stevie to get a few goals and join in on the fun instead of if being Stevie vs Bale or Stevie vs Moura?

I hope he is involved vs Fulham or in the EL.

Having Bale back in form is great. But Bale is 31 with a long list of injuries behind him. Both Bale and Jose have acknowledged that he will have to be load managed. Stevie will get chances to slot in when Bale i rested.

Bale no but switch him with Moura today and he scores the same goal Moura did and likely at least one more while providing much more passing quality as well.

What. No!
He wouldn't have been in that position to start with, and even if he would have been, I doubt he would have put it into the net.

I don't like Moura as a player. And I believe that Bergwijn has better footballing brain. But come on. Reality and real actions on the pitch should be the criteria. Not some subjective "likings". He has been getting many chances and has not taken them really. While Moura scored 3 goals and gave an assist within month of February.

Moura is far ahead of pecking order based on that, and it is just fair...

I think of everyone that started today Bale is the most likely to need a rest or be sat by Jose, excluding injuries. So I could easily see Bergwijn starting against Palace with Bale sitting that one out.

Likely starts in EL if Bale plays both PL games, so I don't think he is done starting.

But who knows what Jose is thinking, he may be willing to run players into the ground to try and save his job so Bale might keep getting put out there every game now that he looks to have found favor with Jose.

Sure, Bale can't start all games.
But today there were Alli and Lamela also in matchday squad, and both should be started before Bergwijn.

Just a little objective fact here - we have scored 95 goals this season (!! quite sick, ain't it) across all competitions. And Steven Bergwijn is on 0 goals as an attacking player. That is objectively and obviously poor.
I am not saying that we should immidiately try to sell him. All I am saying is that he has been poor this season and he has uphill battle in front of him. For coming games he should be the last resort to be used. And with those options he has to prove he is able to contribute.

Why can't we just want Stevie to get a few goals and join in on the fun instead of if being Stevie vs Bale or Stevie vs Moura?

I hope he is involved vs Fulham or in the EL.

Having Bale back in form is great. But Bale is 31 with a long list of injuries behind him. Both Bale and Jose have acknowledged that he will have to be load managed. Stevie will get chances to slot in when Bale i rested.

If Bale is rested, we can start Alli who scored a worldie + created 2 assists in same EL game where Bergwijn did nothing remarkable.

And of course I want him to score few goals. Why wouldn't I want that.
Just other options have been actually scoring them and deservedly have their chances before him. It is up to him to prove that he can do it as well.

Back
Top Bottom