Carlos Vinicius

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Are those the only options we have? And if so why?

Given those options I would easily take Danny Ings. If we are taking what it would actually cost to get guys I would take Wilson at half the price of Vinicius.

But what I would actually do is not limit myself to those 4 guys and go out and get someone who is better and cheaper.
It was just a cursory glance at some names we have been linked with in the last season and a half. I'm posting from my phone at a restaurant ffs.

Ings at his age needs to be on a team ready to win NOW. Vini can actually be here for a rebuild and enter his prime when the team are ready to win again.

He is too expensive given his current ability and his age for me. We should be targeting a younger player, 20-22 as a back up IMO.

Ings at his age needs to be on a team ready to win NOW. Vini can actually be here for a rebuild and enter his prime when the team are ready to win again.

You don't pay 40 million for that though.

I am fine bringing him back but for 40 million for guy who isn't good enough to start in the PL even if he didn't have Kane in front of him, isn't able to move out to the wing to play with Kane and Son, and is in his prime right now not a developing player is insane.

40 million would have been the 5th highest amount paid last summer for a player. 3 million less than Jota, same amount for Ziyech, Silva. More than Thiago, DvB, James, Watkins, Allan, Torres, Benrahma and more who are all better players.

40 million is insane.

I would pay the €40M. Strikers are expensive. Most strikers you buy fail in the premier league even at a higher cost. Here we have a player who doesn't cause any problems, scores regularly when he plays, is fit, and actually has some ability. As a back up, what more can you ask for? We could spend the same on sone other chap and they will fail so better the certain player on offer here.
I completely agree about his value as a player, though I don´t think we would necessarily have to pay the full 40m. I mean, I don´t see other clubs going to Benfica with an offer even close to that. I also don´t think they are in a position to reject offers of, let´s say, 25m for him. Maybe we could still buy him in the end of his loan - but for a better price.

P.S: I like him more and more - in games like yesterday, for no reason, all I really want to see is Vinigoal scoring goals.

Last edited:
You don't pay 40 million for that though.

I am fine bringing him back but for 40 million for guy who isn't good enough to start in the PL even if he didn't have Kane in front of him, isn't able to move out to the wing to play with Kane and Son, and is in his prime right now not a developing player is insane.

40 million would have been the 5th highest amount paid last summer for a player. 3 million less than Jota, same amount for Ziyech, Silva. More than Thiago, DvB, James, Watkins, Allan, Torres, Benrahma and more who are all better players.

40 million is insane.
40 million isn't the asking price its a buyout price. Levy or NES would end up paying 28m Pounds including add ons. So is he worth £25 m now with three later. That's the question. I think the lad at Brentford is a rough diamond we should be looking at (purely as a Kane understudy) and I hear they want £22m. The other obvious one for me is Sarr who can play wide forward but Watford wanted silly money last year.

Last edited:
40 million isn't the asking price its a buyout price. Levy or NES would end up paying 28m Pounds including add ons. So is he worth £25 m now with three later. That's the question. I think the lad is Brentford us a rough diamond we should be looking at and I hear they want £22m. The other obvious one for me is Sarr who can play wide forward but Watford wanted sly money last year.

25 million is likely a little much for me.

I would rather get someone that can play in the front 3 with Kane and Son, move over to the middle if Kane is out for the PL and then get a cheaper option if we need a striker for Cup/EL games next year.

25 million for a 25 year old that isn't a PL starter is too much, especially with all the holes we have to fill.

I like him. He has a kind face.
But I feel like I'm clutching at straws to rate him.

Often he seems like someone with the size of a target man but strength of a flakey winger, with the touch of a centre back.

So is he worth £25 m now with three later.
Is he really? When we fired long balls at him, he was being eaten by Wolfsberg's CBs. Even when we played it to him on the deck, I don't know how many times he was on his heels. I can't get behind the lack of aggression in his game. I have Googled his height on several occasions just to see if there has been some mistake. Callum Wilson isn't even 6 feet tall, but he would rip telephone books in half.

Last edited:
And by the way, fellas. The reason the best coach in the world can't get this squad to function is, in no small part, due to the fact that it is stuffed with crappy foreigners. Now I have got no issue with foreigners per se. Heck, I myself am a foreigner. But these HG rules have got us over a fucking barrel, so we can't afford to stump up for any more non-HG squad fillers, innit?

40M is high but not totally out of the realm of realism. Regardless, selling clubs start high and it only comes down from there. Less than 30M is more appropriate in my opinion. Having said that, teams who are vying for trophies need to have a few 20-40M players on the bench. We need players on the bench who can make a difference when they come on, not just to be another warm body on the field

40M is high but not totally out of the realm of realism. Regardless, selling clubs start high and it only comes down from there. Less than 30M is more appropriate in my opinion. Having said that, teams who are vying for trophies need to have a few 20-40M players on the bench. We need players on the bench who can make a difference when they come on, not just to be another warm body on the field

I agree but not sure what that has to do with Vinicius.

Some posters here think we should sell Son if we get an 80 million offer for him. And Kane if we get 100 million offer.

But some posters here want to buy Vinny for 40?

Does the UK not teach math or something?

Son is 29 and Kane is 28- the next contract they sign is probably their last in top flight football. Whatever club signs them will not be able to sell them for much if anything. Do you really think a team is coming in for Kane or Son for 150m? 80-100m seems pretty reasonable to me for a player that won't have much resale value after 2 seasons of their next contract. And especially so if they ask to leave- how much leverage will we have then?

Vinicius can sign a new contract and still have significant sell-on value when he turns 29 in three seasons.

Current market prices reflect expected future value. There is time value to money, and players are akin to assets with both potential appreciation and depreciation. Kane, Son and Vinicius all have different expected future values. What exactly doesn't make sense about that?

Besides, we're talking about qualitative comparisons and subjective valuations, and you are bashing people over the head with the implication that this is simplistic quantitative math- your analogy and your arguments are poor.

He is too expensive given his current ability and his age for me. We should be targeting a younger player, 20-22 as a back up IMO.
I respect this view.

I don't expect that we would have to pay 36m GBP for Vinicius, but if we were to lose Kane and be looking for an option, I think that actually is pretty darn good value.

I respect this view.

I don't expect that we would have to pay 36m GBP for Vinicius, but if we were to lose Kane and be looking for an option, I think that actually is pretty darn good value.

An option as he would be our first choice striker?

An option as he would be our first choice striker?

Yes- if we go into rebuilding mode I would be ok with trying to rebuild with Vinny as ST for at least a season to see how it works out. Buying players is almost always somewhat of a gamble.

If the club is thinking along those lines at all, I would hope that he can get a few starts in the prem to more fully verify his suitability before pulling the trigger.

Back
Top Bottom