Carlos Vinicius

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes- if we go into rebuilding mode I would be ok with trying to rebuild with Vinny as ST for at least a season to see how it works out. Buying players is almost always somewhat of a gamble.

If the club is thinking along those lines at all, I would hope that he can get a few starts in the prem to more fully verify his suitability before pulling the trigger.

That would be a terrifying proposition. Especially if we paid anything close to 35-40 million for him as well.

That would be a terrifying proposition. Especially if we paid anything close to 35-40 million for him as well.

Ok- who do you buy for 36m GBP that is guaranteed to be a better ST than Vinicius?

And of course it will be terrifying for us if Kane and Son leave- what is your general plan in that scenario, may I ask?

Ok- who do you buy for 36m GBP that is guaranteed to be a better ST than Vinicius?

And of course it will be terrifying for us if Kane and Son leave- what is your general plan in that scenario, may I ask?

Use the money to buy players that are actually good enough to start in the PL, not Vinicius.

For 35 million some better striker that have gone for that recently Watkins, Wilson.

Guys who likely could be bought for that amount or less and would be better Edouard, Dembele, Depay, Plea, Thuram, Ings, Toney, Kramaric off the top of my head, there are likely a ton more I am missing.

Is this a serious question

You don't think you could get better strikers for 40 million?

Come off it lol

Andre Silva is playing 100x better and would probably cost 30 for one

Jovic, Niang, Edouard, Malen, Weghourst, Kramaric?

That being said, I like Vini but why the fuck would we pay 40m for a back up striker we don't even use when everyone else is injured. It's pointless.

Edouard looks good actually- I like this call. But is in Scotland so has a leap to make quality wise, and that leap is greater than the leap from portugal to england. His footwork and technique appear to suggest potentially elite level talent though and I could easily see us getting outbid. 1 year left on his contract is interesting...

Dembele - Thought he signed for Athletico Madrid this past window? I have a feeling he'll really enjoy playing alongside Joao Felix and won't be leaving anytime soon.

Depay no thanks. 27. More of a hybrid ST/Winger Kane-specific backup type- too small to lead line for me. Intriguing as a ST/Winger alongside a bigger ST to me though- especially with the Man U revenge aspect!

Plea no thanks- 27 and only 3 goal so far this season in the bundesliga?

Thuram no thanks- spit on another player recently- during COVID times...

Kramaric- no thanks is 29

Weghorst - 28 so not really ideal for a rebuild but I do like him in a Crouch-ey way.

Andre Silva - He's great but wiil be more than 40m- prob more like 50-60m. I have a hard time seeing us winning a bidding war for him even if we wanted to. Prob will end up at RM, Juve or Barca.

Ings - 29 and too old for a rebuild but might be willing to help us get started? I really love his game though. Seems like a great club representative too.

Toney - I like his size and physicality alot, but he is 24 and has no prem experience. Seems technically sound but not brilliant. If Brentford get promoted, I can't see him leaving or them selling this summer.

Jovic - RM property- doubt he's coming to us. See: Kovacic

Mbaye Niang - playing in KSA right now? yikes. Thats worse than going to China.

Malen - I like the Woolwich revenge aspect alot. Seems a bit small- more of a wing-forward than a line-leading ST. The dutch defenses he is playing against are not that good. Very much a gamble.

Mind you I'm looking at this primarily in the context of Kane and Son leaving this summer, and your list seems to suggest that you are thinking about it with the idea of a Kane backup.

Of all the picks I think Edouard, Ings, or Toney are most realistic. Edouard is full of talent but it would be scary expecting him to lead a rebuild year 1 coming from Scotland. Ings would be awesome but he is not a long term buy and it's hard to see Levy wanting to pay a fee for him at 30 years old and with little sell-on value. Toney is unlikely to leave this next summer and seems just a bit underwhelming technique wise even though he is clearly having a successful season.

I just think it's not that easy to get a good cheap striker that isn't also a gamble, and Vinicius has shown enough imo to significantly reduce the likelhood of him being unsuccessful in the prem. I don't think he's gotten a fair chance in the prem so far, and by the looks of our season, probably won't get that chance either, which is a shame because then we could find out a lot more about him and really put some of these question to bed. Overall Vinicius right now at 36m GBP seems like less of a gamble to me than Watkins at 33m was last summer.

On recent Prem form, we're likely to finish at the outer edge of the EL spots or maybe just outside of them. For a second season in a row, that knocks us down a peg and is unquestionably ugly for our recruitment prospects. I'm not sure that we're going to look like a top destination worth foregoing wages for to anyone. Us having a guaranteed 36m option on a Vinicius that already seems to fit in the squad and wants to be here seems pretty valuable to me since there is a good chance that nobody decent for that price will want to come to us anyways, especially if we fail to make EL.

What is this rebuild nonsense and how does a striker like Vinicius who is not cheap (at the ridiculous price you are spending) and not nearly good enough to start a good option for it?

A lot of your no thanks are better options than Vinicius, probably a no thanks in general but certainly a yes please if the option is them or Vinicius.

What is this rebuild nonsense and how does a striker like Vinicius who is not cheap (at the ridiculous price you are spending) and not nearly good enough to start a good option for it?

A lot of your no thanks are better options than Vinicius, probably a no thanks in general but certainly a yes please if the option is them or Vinicius.
Rebuild nonsense?

Our team effing sucks right now under this manager and with this defense, and we are going to be lucky to keep both of Son and Kane this summer.

What world are you living in where such an outcome is nonsense?

Rebuild nonsense?

Our team effing sucks right now under this manager and with this defense, and we are going to be lucky to keep both of Son and Kane this summer.

You are talking about the "rebuild" like we can't get good players in.

If we sell Kane and Son and end up with Vinicius as our main striker and pay anything close to 35-40 million for him that would be the worst rebuild potentially in the history of sports.

We would be looking at a minimum of 200 million for Kane and Son or it isn't worth it to sell, coming out of that with Vinicius as our striker would be awful.

If we are going rebuild why not go with a young guy with potential like a Patson Daka? If it is a rebuild why are we going to overpay for a mediocre player that is in his prime with zero evidence that he can even be a mediocre striker, let alone a good or heaven forbid a great one.

If you say rebuild, and fair enough it may be coming, I don't see how mediocre and not young players like Vinicius fit into that plan at all. It makes even less sense to sign, and overpay, for him in that scenario.

You are talking about the "rebuild" like we can't get good players in.

If we sell Kane and Son and end up with Vinicius as our main striker and pay anything close to 35-40 million for him that would be the worst rebuild potentially in the history of sports.

We would be looking at a minimum of 200 million for Kane and Son or it isn't worth it to sell, coming out of that with Vinicius as our striker would be awful.

If we are going rebuild why not go with a young guy with potential like a Patson Daka? If it is a rebuild why are we going to overpay for a mediocre player that is in his prime with zero evidence that he can even be a mediocre striker, let alone a good or heaven forbid a great one.

If you say rebuild, and fair enough it may be coming, I don't see how mediocre and not young players like Vinicius fit into that plan at all. It makes even less sense to sign, and overpay, for him in that scenario.

Obviously we have to agree to disagree.
We'll see what happens with the rest of the seaon, and with Mou, and see how popular our club is with a tightwad chairman and very possibly no continental soccer to offer.

I feel like you are overestimating our appeal.
It wasn't that long ago we weren't a top 4 squad. People have short memories of this success and much longer memories of a mid-table existence.

I'm sure we can at least agree that Mou was a total fucking disaster and an error completely of Levy's making.

Obviously we have to agree to disagree.
We'll see what happens with the rest of the seaon, and with Mou, and see how popular our club is with a tightwad chairman and very possibly no continental soccer to offer.

I can see no scenario where we are so unpopular that vastly overpaying for a mediocre talent that would struggle to get into most bottom half sides makes any sense at all.

Anyways this is all moot as there is zero chance Levy pays anything close to 35 million for Vinicius.

I can see why Mourinho wanted Vini because he like strong striker, the one that can hold up play and can take on 2 defenders. Drogba is the perfect example, was not good in his first season but the dude took the criticisms and worked on it and his second season was on fire. I can also see Scarlet (need to be more bulky) is the next Kane replacement if needed. You can see Mourinho touched on that subject in his post game.

Rebuild nonsense?

Spending 40m on a striker who only plays vs marine and wolfsberger doesn't strike me as the most intelligent and thoughtful rebuild

Since our back up striker barely ever plays, get a cheap, experienced and proven striker ala Llorente. Then spend that 40m on midfield, defence and gk, positions that we have to fill with actual starters

Yes he is. Would you rather get 26 year old Vini, Callum Wilson, Willian Jose, or 29 year old Danny Ings?

If Kane even gives the slightest hint of wanting out in the summer, I think we should try and sign Vini, and we should pay the full 40m if needed. It could be extremely difficult to find a better striker with his age/exp/upside for that price.
If Harry goes we will probably get a massive fee, knowing Levy wouldn't be surprised if its around 150m. We should mainly be reinvesting that into a new number 9 so it would be counter intuitive to also sign a guy that is only good enough to be a back up.

I would pay the €40M. Strikers are expensive. Most strikers you buy fail in the premier league even at a higher cost. Here we have a player who doesn't cause any problems, scores regularly when he plays, is fit, and actually has some ability. As a back up, what more can you ask for? We could spend the same on sone other chap and they will fail so better the certain player on offer here.
Yes he is. Would you rather get 26 year old Vini, Callum Wilson, Willian Jose, or 29 year old Danny Ings?

If Kane even gives the slightest hint of wanting out in the summer, I think we should try and sign Vini, and we should pay the full 40m if needed. It could be extremely difficult to find a better striker with his age/exp/upside for that price.
£25-30m Id probably take. The strain having no back up put on Kane over the past years and now we have a pretty decent and youngish player. It means we can worry about other areas of the team notably CB.
I think 25 or 30 mil is fair...

40M is high but not totally out of the realm of realism. Regardless, selling clubs start high and it only comes down from there. Less than 30M is more appropriate in my opinion. Having said that, teams who are vying for trophies need to have a few 20-40M players on the bench. We need players on the bench who can make a difference when they come on, not just to be another warm body on the field

To Jiminho -
Do we need 20-40 mil players or do we need good players? Dele cost 5 mil, so should we drop him :D ?
And also, what gives you impression that Vinicius "can make a difference when he comes on" on top level. And 20-40 mil would assume playing on higher level than Europa League against Austrian and Bulgarian sides + Marine.

Generally -

Wow you guys are generous...
you do understand that when we talk about Austrian league terms, 40 mil could buy you a whole team over there?!?!
And up to now that is exactly what he has been, we have 0 indication that he could do it on higher level. And yet despite scoring against amateurs, Austrian and Bulgarian league teams, people would be totally okay to make him 4th most expensive purchase in Tottenham Hotspur history ?!? (After Ndombele, Lo Celso and Sanchez)?!? In current market (!!) where the money literally has dried up ?!?

That would be once more in the same region as players like Watkins, Benrhama, Jota and Zyech (!!)
That would be just 13 mil less than for Timo Werner who was among top scorers in Bundesliga for years, German national side player and younger than Vinicius.

Up to what I've seen by now, I think 15 mil could be reasonable price. But not a dime over 20 mil (which is also Transfermarkt fair value for him, though some here would pay happly 2x over market price, cause he "seems like a nice fella").

If Harry goes we will probably get a massive fee, knowing Levy wouldn't be surprised if its around 150m. We should mainly be reinvesting that into a new number 9 so it would be counter intuitive to also sign a guy that is only good enough to be a back up.

I think he's good enough to be much more than a backup. Obviously we are going to disagree about that point. IMO Jose simply hasn't given him a run of games in the league to show how good he is. I kinda wish Kane had stayed out a week or two longer so we could (maybe) get a chance to see Vini in the league.

IF we sell Kane (huge if), we should be investing a lot of that money into an excellent player at the same position, with room to grow.

Not 40 million into a bench player who's 26. But say 80 million into a player ready to start and who's 23/24 but one of the top "young talented". Ala Ndombele.

You guys are excellent at team planning for a mid table club.

Back
Top Bottom