Carlos Vinicius

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I thought he wasn't that good. Scored yes but everytime we played the ball up to him it just bounced off of him.
Also Kane went too wide or too deep.
That 2 upfront thing definitely doesn't work. Nice to try but it also makes Kane's game worse. I'd like to see Kane at the top with vinicius running off him. Kane could hold it up better.

sure, a few balls cannoned off him, but largely when he got it under control, Vinny used the ball well. Neat and simple.

give him starts from Now to end of the season and we'll see his game a bit more. A basic point to make. He'd probably have two goals yesterday if it wasn't for a good bit of Villa defending, 10 yards out in the first half.

EL games a good warm up, but you got to cut the mustard in the PL.

I'm still on the fence, so will wait till end of the season. His numbers are good though, for what he is here for.

I thought he seemed slightly less of an 'outsider' last night. I feel a bit sorry for the poor lad. He's still not quite settled, is he?

I am not yet fully onboard the Vini train but I like what I've seen. He's big, he's strong, he can finish and he has decent mobility though lacks real pace. Worth considering that he hasn't yet had a decent run of games at all and strikers very often play themselves into form.

He's certainly better than the tail-end Llorente we inherited and is light years ahead of the farcically slow and one-paced Janssen, one of the worst strikers I've seen at Spurs.

I am not yet fully onboard the Vini train but I like what I've seen. He's big, he's strong, he can finish and he has decent mobility though lacks real pace. Worth considering that he hasn't yet had a decent run of games at all and strikers very often play themselves into form.

He's certainly better than the tail-end Llorente we inherited and is light years ahead of the farcically slow and one-paced Janssen, one of the worst strikers I've seen at Spurs.
...to say nothing of poor old Roberto Soldado :)

Llorente 76 apps 13 goals

Jansen 42 apps 6 goals

Vinicious 21 apps 10 goals
Not half bad eh? Once again he was in a proper poacher's place to tap it in. That's his principal raison d'etre. Looks like Kane trusts him and I enjoyed seeing them together in a 4-4-2.

Like a poacher he knows where to be to get an "easy" goal. But that doesn't mean it's given to him. His movement allows him to score those.

A good comparison can be Antonio hitting the post this weekend. A better poacher would have been a step ahead and not needed to go to ground and stretch. Vinny may well have put that away but made it look "easy".

A few goals can be "flukes". But he's been consistent whenever he's gotten game time. That's a poacher.

Excellent as a back up 9. Especially now that we see he can play alongside Kane. Sign him for a reasonable price.

Not half bad eh? Once again he was in a proper poacher's place to tap it in. That's his principal raison d'etre. Looks like Kane trusts him and I enjoyed seeing them together in a 4-4-2.
Nailed it.

His build up play might not be the best, I think it's ok tbf, but then again we're comparing him to Kane. He does seem to get in good positions to score a lot of the time.

An adequate back up, IMO.
Of course, we'll only know more when he plays more but so far so good.

I think he's done reasonably well all things considered. Hasn't really done much in the EPL, but he hasn't been allowed to, to a large extent. 10 goals in 21 appearances is decent. His goals to games ratio throughout his career yet has generally been a goal every other game, you can't sneeze at that. Would like him to stay, but wouldn't shed tears if he didn't basically.

He is fine as a guy to give Kane a rest in the EL and Cup games, but if Kane is down for awhile I wouldn't have much interest in seeing him starting for us in the PL.

Not sure if we can carry him for that role only considering he has no positional flexibility, isn't young, isn't HG and isn't cheap.

If we can get him for 10 million or less so that we still have money to get someone who could take over for Kane in the PL then great, but I think he will end up being too expensive.

Its a shame that he didn't play more in non-PL games earlier so Kane wouldn't be so overworked this season.

Considering his game time has been minimal his goal return has been good. He's done better than Janssen and llorente without 1 decent run of games week in week out yet.
Best back up we can hope 4. Into double figures. Will prob finish season with 15 plus

Jansen 42 apps 6 goals

Let me remind -
3 out of those against 8th league side
3 out of those against Austrian league side who is something like 6th in the Austrian league
2 out of those against Ludogorets who finished our EL group dead last and plays in Bulgarian league

That is 8 out of 10 goals for you. Against half- or full amateur teams.

Shocking how people can forget the context entirely...

I was happy that he was started together with Kane yesterday - I think it should have happened earlier already. Including away game at Zagreb - where I always felt that there was no-one in the opposition box from us. And I was honestly happy for him to get off the mark in EPL. But it worries me that we do not have enough understanding of how good he can be against decent teams. So unlucky for him that international break started now. Otherwise I would have assumed he would have got another start or at least 30 minutes against Newcastle as well.

Overall - we have seen too little to judge. From what we have seen I would not pay more than 10-12 mil for him. 17 mil is more than half for what was paid for Watkins for example. Who is younger, technically better and HG!
Also more than we paid for Hjojberg.

Jansen 42 apps 6 goals

We are seriously going with "Goals are goals regardless of level" then?

Because 3 against FC Sheep Pellets, 2 against some load of sheep farmers and 3 against Butcher-Baker-Candlestick Maker FC is equivalent to how many in the Quarter Final of the ECL??

Let me remind -
3 out of those against 8th league side
3 out of those against Austrian league side who is something like 6th in the Austrian league
2 out of those against Ludogorets who finished our EL group dead last and plays in Bulgarian league

That is 8 out of 10 goals for you. Against half- or full amateur teams.

Shocking how people can forget the context entirely...

I was happy that he was started together with Kane yesterday - I think it should have happened earlier already. Including away game at Zagreb - where I always felt that there was no-one in the opposition box from us. And I was honestly happy for him to get off the mark in EPL. But it worries me that we do not have enough understanding of how good he can be against decent teams. So unlucky for him that international break started now. Otherwise I would have assumed he would have got another start or at least 30 minutes against Newcastle as well.

Overall - we have seen too little to judge. From what we have seen I would not pay more than 10-12 mil for him. 17 mil is more than half for what was paid for Watkins for example. Who is younger, technically better and HG!
Also more than we paid for Hjojberg.
Agree with a lot of that.

He's only played 258 mins of PL football.

Give him a run and then judge him.

I quite like Vini from what we've seen from him. He is a good target man in the box, strong, strong, athletic, and puts goals away when given the opportunity. I think he would also be very happy in a supporting/backup role from his attitude and work ethic.

That said, I think he's way too expensive to pick up on a permanent.

Back
Top Bottom