Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do people actually think that bringing in someone lile Nagelsman will turn some of our donkeys into good footballers?

Fuck me this place cracks me up sometimes.

Shit is shit

There were very few superstars in the team that best us 4-0 on aggregate in the CL last season, in fact there were some decidedly average players. But everyone in that team knew what they were doing and believed in what they were doing, and they played with attacking intent. They had about three chances in the first couple of minutes in the first leg as I remember.

Why tonight would Mourinho substitute Vincious for Son at half time? We were pressing much better with two strikers. It's the old mentality where he wants to counter attack it never works. We keep hurling the ball upfield losing possesion. Basically inviting them back into the game.

There were very few superstars in the team that best us 4-0 on aggregate in the CL last season, in fact there were some decidedly average players. But everyone in that team knew what they were doing and believed in what they were doing, and they played with attacking intent. They had about three chances in the first couple of minutes in the first leg as I remember.
What about when they got absolutely spanked by United?

He’s just not the right fit for us, he’s used to managing clubs of a different profile, different financial clout and different type of playing squad. At his previous clubs the expectation was to win the biggest trophies and he was given the money to deliver that. His confrontational and pragmatic style worked with more experienced players whose personality was closer to his. We are too soft, too naive and too skint to achieve anything with him. I understand why Levy took the punt but it’s not going to work.

Our soft, naive players needs a different type of manager. They still aren’t ready to compete at the highest level and Mourinho is not a manager who can deal with that. We need to find another Poch who can deal with the squad as they are and make them better, not get upset when Sanchez and Rodon can’t reach Terry/Carvalho level. The players do not enjoy playing and that is when you know the manager has reached the end.

Don't really buy in to the downing tools chat - things grew stale under Poch and there was a lack of investment stretching back a couple of seasons, under Mourinho we just look directionless.

A team of players downing tools don’t sit this close to the top 4 when the target for the season was more less just that.Look at where Chelsea and United were when Jose left them, that's what downing toold looks like

Maybe downing tools is harsh, let me word it better.

I think the players lost motivation under Poch after the CL final and I also think the way we are run as a club probably doesn't give the players the impression the club is serious about winning big trophies.

Bringing Jose in was a gamble, one that I think Levy thought would change the mentality of these players and the club, a serial winner, someone known to win the big trophies, I don't think the logic behind the appointment was bad.

However, I think these players think Jose is past it, I think that is very apparent and I think after watching him make poor tactical decisions time and time again and failing to play to our strengths have made the players doubt his ability and the consequence of that is also damaging the players confidence because of poor results.

So, when I say they have downed tools I don't mean they are doing so in a disrespectful manner, more so in a manner that they are just completely fed up with their workplace.

He’s just not the right fit for us, he’s used to managing clubs of a different profile, different financial clout and different type of playing squad. At his previous clubs the expectation was to win the biggest trophies and he was given the money to deliver that. His confrontational and pragmatic style worked with more experienced players whose personality was closer to his. We are too soft, too naive and too skint to achieve anything with him. I understand why Levy took the punt but it’s not going to work.

Our soft, naive players needs a different type of manager. They still aren’t ready to compete at the highest level and Mourinho is not a manager who can deal with that. We need to find another Poch who can deal with the squad as they are and make them better, not get upset when Sanchez and Rodon can’t reach Terry/Carvalho level. The players do not enjoy playing and that is when you know the manager has reached the end.
So long story short, our players are soft.

Maybe downing tools is harsh, let me word it better.

I think the players lost motivation under Poch after the CL final and I also think the way we are run as a club probably doesn't give the players the impression the club is serious about winning big trophies.

Bringing Jose in was a gamble, one that I think Levy thought would change the mentality of these players and the club, a serial winner, someone known to win the big trophies, I don't think the logic behind the appointment was bad.

However, I think these players think Jose is past it, I think that is very apparent and I think after watching him make poor tactical decisions time and time again and failing to play to our strengths have made the players doubt his ability and the consequence of that is also damaging the players confidence because of poor results.

So, when I say they have downed tools I don't mean they are doing so in a disrespectful manner, more so in a manner that they are just completely fed up with their workplace.

That's much clearer and I pretty much agree entirely - except that I thought the logic at the time to appoint Jose was off, that CL final team needed rebuilding, it wasnt the last season at WHL team that was on the verge of being one of the greats - that team could be argued as being one which needed the final push. That's before you question whether Mourinho was even the man to provide that push after the way his United and Chelsea jobs petered out...

They spammed us completely. Jose had no master tactical plan.

Don't know about that, I thought he had shifty eyes!
Come on Mrs P, don't act like you wouldn't accompany him on the Dakar rally, if you know what I mean.
:ossie:

SP64-jargonAVB-afp-702x459.jpg

This is probably the biggest change in football over the time Mourinho has been a manager and what his approach cannot, seemingly, overcome - multiple teams are set up and coached well, do their homework on opponents and are drilled to play in a way that gets the best out of them, just setting a team up to let the good attacking players do their thing does not work anymore, especially not in tye PL where there's more money than anywhere and there are good coaching teams up and down the league

This is probably the biggest change in football over the time Mourinho has been a manager and what his approach cannot, seemingly, overcome - multiple teams are set up and coached well, do their homework on opponents and are drilled to play in a way that gets the best out of them, just setting a team up to let the good attacking players do their thing does not work anymore, especially not in tye PL where there's more money than anywhere and there are good coaching teams up and down the league
When you look at the players and coaching going on at Liverpool and Man City they blow us out of the water. Considering where we and Liverpool were respectively 5 years ago, it's embarrassing.

Let's put the stadium to one side for a moment: in terms of club size vs how we're being run, I'd say it's currently a fight between Woolwich and ourselves for fucking up the most.

Back
Top Bottom