European Super League OFF; Spurs face withdrawal fee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you support the European Super League

• Total voters
I was a fan of Mourinho and tried supporting him. However is part of Levy’s decision to not sack him because of his high profile? Is Mourinho being in charge part of the reason why Tottenham are a founder member? Not trying to be a dick but as there are only 15 founder members, would guess Tottenham deserve to be 11-20 (as a rank out of European teams) so in the mix but not guaranteed
£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££
Donald Duck Money GIF

If this goes through, Spurs are dead. It'll be a corporate holding the Tottenham Hotspur Football Club name, but the club itself won't exist anymore... It'll make us no better than PSG, Citeh, Juve etc.

Added some more details in OP about Spurs involvement specifically.

Will copy and paste some here, courtesy of the Times:

City are believed to be the last of the six English clubs to join. The Premier League leaders, along with Woolwich, Chelsea and Tottenham, are thought to have been reluctant to join but did so because they did not want to miss out.

Even if this is just an empty threat, a ‘bargaining chip’, for what purposes??

So the bigger clubs get a greater share of the revenue, and the smaller clubs get even less? That’s also disgusting.
We've reached the point where a Super League that supersedes the Champions League may be the best worst option.

UEFA's competitions are needlessly bloated. 36 clubs with 9 matches based on a swiss model? 24 clubs advance? They were about to add a third competition purely for money. Euros from 16 (perfect) to 24 teams.

FIFA wants to add even more matches to the Club World Cup. The World Cup is going to 48 teams(!) with 16 groups of 3 (?!) with 32 teams advancing to knockouts (?!?).

For domestic leagues, there is still competition for European places that now opens up to new teams rather than the same 6/7 that get in every year. The domestic cups remain in place.

It's a bastardization of sport and competition, but I have a hard time believing it's not going to happen.

If this goes through, Spurs are dead. It'll be a corporate holding the Tottenham Hotspur Football Club name, but the club itself won't exist anymore... It'll make us no better than PSG, Citeh, Juve etc.
It's already dead in most respects

This will be the final nail

I don't know, quite mixed feelings about this. You can't stop progress and there may be an inevitably about a European Super League, and if there is it's better to be in it.

We've reached the point where a Super League that supersedes the Champions League may be the best worst option.

UEFA's competitions are needlessly bloated. 36 clubs with 9 matches based on a swiss model? 24 clubs advance? They were about to add a third competition purely for money. Euros from 16 (perfect) to 24 teams.

FIFA wants to add even more matches to the Club World Cup. The World Cup is going to 48 teams(!) with 16 groups of 3 (?!) with 32 teams advancing to knockouts (?!?).

For domestic leagues, there is still competition for European places that now opens up to new teams rather than the same 6/7 that get in every year. The domestic cups remain in place.

It's a bastardization of sport and competition, but I have a hard time believing it's not going to happen.
I like the idea of more clubs, as long as it gives more clubs from across Europe the chance to compete for the biggest trophies.
For example, don’t you like the fact Ajax in 2019 could reach CL SF, despite not being affluent compared to the top PL clubs?

What a joke another nail in the coffin off football

I'll always love spurs but high level football is becoming more and more un watchable, it's all about money and the common fan is getting forced out

I love us but we are possibly the worst offenders for it with the season ticket prices and other high costs

If this is confirmed might genuinely consider voting with my wallet and cancel all subscriptions to the club and football in general

It's just pure greed
No you won’t. You have as much dumb love for Spurs as the rest of us

If it wasn't wrong already, you just know this would quickly become like the ghastly ICC pre-season tournament on steroids, with matches played all around the world etc, no logic to the fixtures, and the result of the actual football match becoming less and less important and it all being about appearance and how to make even more cash.

What's wrong with Champions League?

I don't mind it as it gives chances to clubs from nations without a rich domestic league a chance to compete against the very best.
For example Ajax have a rich history but aren't affluent in comparison to the top PL teams. CL gave Ajax a chance and they reached SF in 2019. European Super League would completely shut teams like Ajax out.
Ajax won the CL in the mid 90’s with a great team, they entered that tournament as champions of their respective league, the way it should be....this was their 4th European Cup victory, the expansion of the CL format has only served to destroy great European teams like Ajax not help them.....

Fuck me, we can't even do well in our DOMESTIC league.... imagine HOW BOTTOM of any Elite European league we'd finish each year...? ...we'd arguably be the worst team involved in the competition!

Uefa (probably) have themselves to blame. The Europa League and the Europa Conference League are both ridiculous, the latter is bordering on the pathetic & ridiculous.

The Champions League is probably even diluted by the Europa.

it’s all become a mess and the elite clubs will follow the money. Sad as it’s not what it should all be about with Sport, but this has been 20+ years in the making.

once it is launched then I am pretty sure it will be a success.

Back
Top Bottom