SPURS v SOUTHAMPTON midweek, Wednsday (is it?) 6'ish

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What a crazy season. When I read Mason was n charge I was like “well, maybe it will be amazing? pretty please, maybe?” First half I was like “fuck me this is awful, what The fuck was Levy thinking.” Second half....”better, oh and Bale you sexy beast, get in why don’t you?” Followed by ”how the hell is Sons goal getting called back? We’re doomed!” Followed by, “handball! Handball! Ok fine, I’ll take the other foul then, give it to Son. C’mon Sonny,! Cmon!! Fuck yes! Yes! I don’t care anymore about anything! wooohoohoowowoooo”

that About sums up my experience, tapping on some iPad thing, keyboard has a mind of its own

COYS

What a crazy season. When I read Mason was n charge I was like “well, maybe it will be amazing? pretty please, maybe?” First half I was like “fuck me this is awful, what The fuck was Levy thinking.” Second half....”better, oh and Bale you sexy beast, get in why don’t you?” Followed by ”how the hell is Sons goal getting called back? We’re doomed!” Followed by, “handball! Handball! Ok fine, I’ll take the other foul then, give it to Son. C’mon Sonny,! Cmon!! Fuck yes! Yes! I don’t care anymore about anything! wooohoohoowowoooo”

that About sums up my experience, tapping on some iPad thing, keyboard has a mind of its own

COYS
....can you please start writing erotic novels

Mourinho had traumatised the team; made them nervous and jittery. Tonight reminded me of the munchkins in The Wizard of Oz. When the witch is killed, they poke their heads out from here and there cautiously, not sure what to expect. Two minutes later, when they realise it's all clear, they're eating lollipops and having a fucking sing-song.
This made me laugh.....even nailed the lollipop bit.

sMC2t8j.gif

I didn't have the opportunity to watch more than glimpses of the game, sitting in a car on my way to a weekend skiing with the lads. But after reading this thread and in particular this tweet I feel a little glimmer of hope. Mason seems to have an eye for it. He watched the first half saw what was wrong and corrected it, in a positive manner and it did result in a much better second half.

Good to get the 3 points; but our glaring issue is still at hand - we do not have an effective midfield pairing in lo Celso and Ndombele.

People are saying that apart from the goal, that Bale had a quiet game. Well, he had more touches of the ball than Lo Celso, Ndombele and Moura and his heat map shows that he spend more time in our half tracking back than Lo Celso and Moura. Bale also had more touches of the ball than all but 1 of the Southampton players.

Aurier, Holjberg and Reggie were by far our busiest players; seeing more than 30% of the ball than any other players in the pitch.

This indicates that our game plan was to attack from wide positions; leaving our central players (Moura, Lo Celso and Ndombele) to focus on winning the ball back rather than creating chances.

Nei
Good to get the 3 points; but our glaring issue is still at hand - we do not have an effective midfield pairing in lo Celso and Ndombele.

People are saying that apart from the goal, that Bale had a quiet game. Well, he had more touches of the ball than Lo Celso, Ndombele and Moura and his heat map shows that he spend more time in our half tracking back than Lo Celso and Moura. Bale also had more touches of the ball than all but 1 of the Southampton players.

Aurier, Holjberg and Reggie were by far our busiest players; seeing more than 30% of the ball than any other players in the pitch.

This indicates that our game plan was to attack from wide positions; leaving our central players (Moura, Lo Celso and Ndombele) to focus on winning the ball back rather than creating chances.
Neither NDombele or Los Celso look like they can play 90 minutes at the moment. The conditioning of our team looks awful.
It also takes time to build partnerships Mason has been in the job three days.

COYS
Sums it up pretty well

I thought we looked like crap. We were just fortunate to play a team that is even more crap.

Ndombele has got to step up. He should be bossing a game like that.

At least the second half was much better than the first.

Missed the first half as I was travelling home. Watched it back and it bore the signs of a nervous team mentally battered by Mou’s negativity. VAR in the second half was shocking. The disallowed goal was a joke. The handball just before the foul for the penalty was utterly blatant. But our team just kept going. Really proud of them for finding the right mentality and intensity in the second half. Great start for Ryan and his calmness and youth seem to be exactly what we need right now. At least Sunday will be a Spurs team and we will win or lose with pride.

What are you trying to say? That we shouldn't celebrate and see any signs of improvement?

Under Mourinho we would have lost that game. I saw improvement.
Awful first half, better second half.

But if Jose had still been here, the chorus would have been “of course we beat Southampton, they’re shite”. Just as it was recently when we won a few on the bounce.

Of course we should be beating the most out of form team in the league. But whoever is in charge, it should be a lot more comfortable than it was. Not having a dig at Mason, after all he’s been in the job for about an hour, so couldn’t really do anything, but still glaring issues in defence and midfield to sort out.

Awful first half, better second half.

But if Jose had still been here, the chorus would have been “of course we beat Southampton, they’re shite”. Just as it was recently when we won a few on the bounce.

Of course we should be beating the most out of form team in the league. But whoever is in charge, it should be a lot more comfortable than it was. Not having a dig at Mason, after all he’s been in the job for about an hour, so couldn’t really do anything, but still glaring issues in defence and midfield to sort out.
With Jose as manager we have failed to win a game without Harry Kane this season.

😂 What a crazy season. When I read Mason was n charge I was like “well, maybe it will be amazing? pretty please, maybe?” First half I was like “fuck me this is awful, what The fuck was Levy thinking.” Second half....”better, oh and Bale you sexy beast, get in why don’t you?” Followed by ”how the hell is Sons goal getting called back? We’re doomed!” Followed by, “handball! Handball! Ok fine, I’ll take the other foul then, give it to Son. C’mon Sonny,! Cmon!! Fuck yes! Yes! I don’t care anymore about anything! wooohoohoowowoooo”

COYS
Pretty much the same scene playing out across Spursland I'm sure, defo in my house!

Missed the first half as I was travelling home. Watched it back and it bore the signs of a nervous team mentally battered by Mou’s negativity. VAR in the second half was shocking. The disallowed goal was a joke. The handball just before the foul for the penalty was utterly blatant. But our team just kept going. Really proud of them for finding the right mentality and intensity in the second half. Great start for Ryan and his calmness and youth seem to be exactly what we need right now. At least Sunday will be a Spurs team and we will win or lose with pride.

Whilst I agree with you about the team aspects in the post, cannot in any way agree with you about the decisions.

Goal 100% correctly disallowed for offside. Their keepers view totally blocked by Moura, he wouldn't even have seen the ball until it had gone past Moura. If that is not interfering with an opponents ability to play whilst being in an offside position, then nothing is.
And handball before the goal. So all your post does is shows you don't know the handball law then. Firstly it hit above the T-Shirt line, which totally rules it out from being an offence, and arm was tucked in. It cannot in any way shape or from be a handball under the laws of the game.
In fact the handball that could have been given was against Alderweireld immediately after that and before the foul on Reguillon.

Blaming VAR for your lack of knowledge of the laws of the game, and total bias is what is blatant, not VAR itself being shocking, it worked very well yesterday.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom