Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Besides the minor difference that I actually enjoyed supporting the club back then which in my world is the entire purpose of putting time in to support a club.

I don’t really care we won no trophy, we competed with the best and often won.

Id really have to question how anyone would trade a run to the CL final for a league cup trophy.

Well, yeah, you could say the same thing about Harry Redknapp.

But right now even a League Cup trophy would be something for us,

Madrid or Liverpool if I have to pick.
Walton Goggins Comedy GIF by CBS

Genuinely can't understand anyone having anything less than affection for Pochettino. He is a decent kind man who did a brilliant job for over 90% of his time with us. Did it with class and humility and never to this day fails to talk us up. I hate all other English side bar Aston Villa oddly and as result hope he finishes ahead of City Liverpool and just as bad Man City. I wish him luck.

If spurs are under new ownership in say three four years I'd welcome him back with open arms. The new Lane the training ground and facilities are all steeped in his input and design. He is now inextricably tied into our history as is Nicholson Burkinshaw. Viva Pochettino the eye gouger in chief may have him in medals but never in simple human decency.
Couldn't agree more....how any level headed person can have any thing more than affection for Poch is a mystery to me.
He had a genuine love for the Club and our fans and I'm unable to proffer up any reasons whatsoever why that shouldn't be reciprocated.

Never had any problem with his detractors when critical of him so long as it was constructive and justified i.e. a downturn in form and results and the natural groundswell of negativity and critique that follows it.

He certainly wasn't faultless but (I felt) a perfect fit for our Club, I didn't want him to go and the tooth fairy in me would love for him to return. Realistically though, second comings rarely reproduce the success of the first time around and I envisage it would end up quite badly and quickly with fan's patience span being reduced from 5 years to 5 minutes if results went against us early on and I would hate for that to happen.

Maybe.

I think if we had navigated through 12/14 games and deservedly won as opposed to scrape a couple of Cups in Pochettino's time he would have been remembered just as fondly if not more.

Agree with the basis of your comment by the way. I just don't think it's necessarily one or the other.
Just like Ramos and the man in the raincoat are?

I was gonna say. At times it is a bit like the Mourinhoistas that we are complaining about on here.

I don't really think it is. For one major part I don't see fans here going to PSG sites or twitter talking about how it was all Poch and PSG is lucky to have him, would be nothing without him and how much better he is than their club. Maybe there are some doing it, but it seems that here the majority of the talk is in the Poch or other matches thread and positive about Poch.

And to me that is last part is the big difference, it is majorly positive about Poch not negative about PSG. If the Jose fanbois had the approach of loving Jose and talking about how happy they are to see him in another job, how they hope he has success, they hope it works out for Spurs etc. it would be annoying maybe but not nearly as bad as it is. What is truly awful about the Jose fanbois is the way they attack the club and the players to try and build Jose up/make excuses for him. It is their negativity and attacks that is the biggest issue not their constant Jose talk.

Sure some might find it annoying how some fans still love Poch and talk about him, but the general feeling seems to be happiness for the man that did great things for the club, maybe it is because I like the guy, but I think that is much easier to read than constantly hearing about how awful your club is by posters that have zero connection to it.

Maybe.

I think if we had navigated through 12/14 games and deservedly won as opposed to scrape a couple of Cups in Pochettino's time he would have been remembered just as fondly if not more.

Agree with the basis of your comment by the way. I just don't think it's necessarily one or the other.

You don't think what is one or the other?

You said Poch brought us a swagger and competitiveness and I was simply pointing out it is a reductive description of the transformation Mauricio accomplished at Spurs. He took us to a new level not seen in the Premier league era. Jol had made us competitive relatively speaking. Redknapp the same.

I don't disagree whatsoever it's a shame we didn't win one of the competitions we were competing for. Fucking tragedy.

Probably a bit of both..
Ok, then let's go at the first 50%. What justification do you have for believing it? Can you quote anyone saying it explicitly or implicitly? I can't think of any other way to be justified in believing something besides having some evidence for it. And by saying that you don't 100% (by it being "a bit of both) believe it then it's not a 'true belief' then.

So basically what we're seeing is another of the ways that people argue and complain about ways people do things that strays from the way they do it and it makes their support 'impure' somehow. It's groupthink and your damning those that don't conform.

That second leg will be a big test for him.

I think he walked into Pep's trap again tonight. He set PSG up to play aggressive and on the front foot to try and choke City out, but they just played through the pressure once they found their footing and the aggression ended up boiling over. As someone said in the match thread, like when we faced Chelsea at the Bridge.

Thankfully for Poch he has a history of second leg comebacks against City.

Back
Top Bottom