Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I wasn't a member here back then, but I'd love to see some posts from those who are beating their meat over Mauricio now how they were just before he was sacked. I bet many were seething and agreeing that it was time for him to go.

You're more than welcome to remember the good times and be fond of a previous manager. But my original opinion was that some people's circle jerk here over him while he's manager of another club is a bit weird and OTT.

I actually thought he would be sacked after the Bayern thrashing and Brighton debacle. When he was sacked I felt it was harsh and he should've been given more time esp as the January transfer window was around the corner.

People like him and want to see him do well especially considering he's working in another country. I don't think it's weird at all. It's not as if he's Man United's manager and we're celebrating his success with them is it? That would definitely be going too far.

If he’s a nearly man, then every manager we’ve ever had in my lifetime is a nothing man.
So glad we ain't getting top 4 & QF of the CL. Out to zagreb in the EL & 7th is much better. Its a very odd response by many. Unless you win us the title or CL then who cares. I'd have loved top 4 & deep CL run this season. I wouldn't say "well that was a waste of time" when we don't win either.

I actually thought he would be sacked after the Bayern thrashing and Brighton debacle. When he was sacked I felt it was harsh and he should've been given more time esp as the January transfer window was around the corner.

People like him and want to see him do well especially considering he's working in another country. I don't think it's weird at all. It's not as if he's Man United's manager and we're celebrating his success with them is it? That would definitely be going too far.

I've got nothing against people being fond of him or wanting him to do well. Actually I'm not even sure what I'm really moaning about. I blame Mourinho.

I think its weirder to go out your way to belittle poch & all the good he did for us. Its stranger to hope he fails at psg & get excited everytime psg lose. To go on a poch thread just to post over & over again how much you don't care. Hmmm.

As Stephen fry said about Prince Phillip.

"Well, I for one am very sorry to see the old boy go. But I know there are plenty out there keen to tell us all how little they care. So keen that you might almost think that they … well … care."

So glad we ain't getting top 4 & QF of the CL. Out to zagreb in the EL & 7th is much better. Its a very odd response by many. Unless you win us the title or CL then who cares. I'd have loved top 4 & deep CL run this season. I wouldn't say "well that was a waste of time" when we don't win either.

Not sure he was saying anything negative against Pochettino mate.

If anything he was praising.

My view is that some people get starry-eyed over Pochettino but as ever there should be a context.

What he brought us was swagger and competitiveness. The singular shame was that it did not come with trophies..

Now you have those who talk solely that he should have been backed as though it would have guaranteed trophies. Who can say one way or the other but for a while and definitely during an 18 month period we had the best team. Won nothing.

We move on and Pochettino deserves credit (not fawning over in my opinion) and Mourinho deserves very little if we are making a comparison of their times with the the club only.

But the post was a compliment I think.

My view is that some people get starry-eyed over Pochettino but as ever there should be a context.

What he brought us was swagger and competitiveness. The singular shame was that it did not come with trophies..

Now you have those who talk solely that he should have been backed as though it would have guaranteed trophies. Who can say one way or the other but for a while and definitely during an 18 month period we had the best team. Won nothing.

We move on and Pochettino deserves credit (not fawning over in my opinion) and Mourinho deserves very little if we are making a comparison of their times with the the club only.

That's another weird thing on this forum. We pretend people only have nice things to say about poch despite the 100s of posts saying the opposite.
Don't make me repost the quotes of hate for poch on here. It will take up your day.

Back to the issue. Well he said "At the end of the day, as much as we loved him he won the same as any other manager we've had in many of our lifetimes - Nothing."

You see that as a compliment, I don't. Have to agree to disagree. He is going out his way to have a dig at poch & tell us over again how he doesn't care. Same with a lot on here. Life's too short to argue over this I guess. I shall leave you lot to go & cheer on whoever psg play. I swear some would rather psg lose than us win.

That's another weird thing on this forum. We pretend people only have nice things to say about poch despite the 100s of posts saying the opposite.
Don't make me repost the quotes of hate for poch on here. It will take up your day.

Back to the issue. Well he said "At the end of the day, as much as we loved him he won the same as any other manager we've had in many of our lifetimes - Nothing."

You see that as a compliment, I don't. Have to agree to disagree. He is going out his way to have a dig at poch & tell us over again how he doesn't care. Same with a lot on here. Life's too short to argue over this I guess. I shall leave you lot to go & cheer on whoever psg play. I swear some would rather psg lose than us win.

Fair enough.

Would you rather we beat PSG with Pochettino than us with Mourinho? I think some are bizarrely unsure.

It's all about perceptions. I don't get hung up or too invested in anyone, be that player or manager. They come and go.

Only Tottenham to me. The rest is simply commentary because I like football.

Last edited:

That is quite reductive of his 5 years at Spurs. In that time he brought us to a whole new level and changed a mentality from inferiority complex to believing we are as good as the best and admittedly didn't get over the final hurdle.

For me what he achieved making us compete with the elite was far better than scraping a league cup or two.

That is quite reductive of his 5 years at Spurs. In that time he brought us to a whole new level and changed a mentality from inferiority complex to believing we are as good as the best and admittedly didn't get over the final hurdle.

For me what he achieved making us compete with the elite was far better than scraping a league cup or two.

Maybe.

I think if we had navigated through 12/14 games and deservedly won as opposed to scrape a couple of Cups in Pochettino's time he would have been remembered just as fondly if not more.

Agree with the basis of your comment by the way. I just don't think it's necessarily one or the other.

Fair enough.

Would you rather we beat PSG with Pochettino than us with Mourinho? I think some are bizarrely unsure.

It's all about perceptions. I don't get hung up or too invested in anyone, be that player or manager. They come and go.

Only Tottenham to me. The rest is simply commentary because I like football.
I'd rather us win with Sol Campbell in charge. I wanted barca to beat psg in the earlier rounds. & I want underdogs lille to win the french title. But will be happy for poch if psg win stuff. I did want them to beat Munich.
If city go through I think I'd want them to beat psg in the semi's. I'd like city to win the CL over who is left in the competiton.
Who you want out of psg v city? & out of who is left, any preference of who win's the CL.

Tomorrow I begrudgingly gotta cheer on man utd as I think there the only team who can stop Woolwich winning it. Our last hope.

I'd rather us win with Sol Campbell in charge. I wanted barca to beat psg in the earlier rounds. & I want underdogs lille to win the french title. But will be happy for poch if psg win stuff. I did want them to beat Munich.
If city go through I think I'd want them to beat psg in the semi's. I'd like city to win the CL over who is left in the competiton.
Who you want out of psg v city? & out of who is left, any preference of who win's the CL.

Tomorrow I begrudgingly gotta cheer on man utd as I think there the only team who can stop Woolwich winning it. Our last hope.

Understand all that mate.

That we could not be the team that could have stopped Woolwich ourselves is beyond painful..

Genuinely can't understand anyone having anything less than affection for Pochettino. He is a decent kind man who did a brilliant job for over 90% of his time with us. Did it with class and humility and never to this day fails to talk us up. I hate all other English side bar Aston Villa oddly and as result hope he finishes ahead of City Liverpool and just as bad Man City. I wish him luck.

If spurs are under new ownership in say three four years I'd welcome him back with open arms. The new Lane the training ground and facilities are all steeped in his input and design. He is now inextricably tied into our history as is Nicholson Burkinshaw. Viva Pochettino the eye gouger in chief may have him in medals but never in simple human decency.

I'm rooting for PSG to win the CL although I wouldn't be too pissed off if City went all the way.

Obviously don't wish to see either Chelsea or Liverpool win it and in all honesty I'm slightly fed up of seeing Real Madrid lift up Old Big Ears.

No fcuking English club in my book.

Don't care who wins the misnomer of a competition but definitely none of the English teams.

From a distance rooting for Dortmund and Real Madrid to win tonight.

Always see it very simply. If not us then no English team then who cares.

On Pochettino will be interesting if he concentrates as he should on the CL.

Absolutely mad to worry about winning the Ligue even if it would represent his first silverware.

If Mbappe and Neymar stay fit I feel they will beat either City or Dortmund.

Both together are in the top 5 best attacking players in the world in my opinion.

At the end of the day, as much as we loved him he won the same as any other manager we've had in many of our lifetimes - Nothing.
Besides the minor difference that I actually enjoyed supporting the club back then which in my world is the entire purpose of putting time in to support a club.

I don’t really care we won no trophy, we competed with the best and often won.

Id really have to question how anyone would trade a run to the CL final for a league cup trophy.

Back
Top Bottom