Graham Potter

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Strange how almost everyone that actually watches their matches has a completely opposite opinion.

Here's from today's paper

6) Potter profile rises despite familiar issue​

Graham Potter will be furious at his players for passing up the chance to secure their safety but the result here should not detract from the quality on show during the first half. Brighton passed the ball crisply and opened up Wolves on a number of occasions, with a lack of cutting edge up front the one thing preventing them from being out of sight by half-time. Brighton’s inability to finish has been exhaustively documented this season and in that sense it felt strangely fitting that the one goal they did score was a towering header from a centre-back. But that familiar failing it is not something that can be laid at the door of a coach who has made his team into more than the sum of its parts. There are plenty of other managers, some far higher up the table, who have spent the season doing the opposite. They should be worried for their jobs. Alex Hess

Match report: Wolves 2-1 Brighton

I suggest you watch their matches. You'll enjoy the football a feck of a sight more than the crap we've had to put up since Jan 2019, and when Brighton fail to win it'll just prove how right you were all along.

Win:Win!!
Why isnt Bielsa a better option then?

Has essentially taken a bunch of championship players and turned them into a mid table side in their first season in the prem.

They also play very attractive football.

I'm not saying Potter is a bad manager but there are other (better) options and I would personally like to see how he gets on at a better club before we consider him.

Most signings in the Bill Nick era seem to have been recommendations from other players - e.g. someone would play against Mackay or White and tell him to sign them
That might be partly true, but unlikely to be the case for the majority. Least we forget Bill Nicholson was essentially chief scout for Keith Berkinshaw. He even scouted Gazza personally later in his career.

Why isnt Bielsa a better option then?

Has essentially taken a bunch of championship players and turned them into a mid table side in their first season in the prem.

They also play very attractive football.

I'm not saying Potter is a bad manager but there are other (better) options and I would personally like to see how he gets on at a better club before we consider him.
Because his style of playing ?

Do people expect a top half finish from Brighton with their players

Don't think their squad is any worse than Leeds one is for example (transfermarkt values Brighton player value higher)

Has he really moved them on since Chris Hughton, despite forking out club record money on new purchases Neil Maupay and Belgian International Trossard, neither of whom are getting the goals they were brought in to do ? Yes he has them playing in a more expansive manner, but results are basically the same.
Even at Swansea his one season there has been bettered in both the following two seasons by Cooper.

A lot of the criticism from Brighton fans is he will not adapt the system whatsoever, irrelevant of who they are playing and whether it is working or not during the game, and does seem to be a lot of just repeating the same thing over and over again and hoping something changes (what is that the definition of again ?)

Just seems to be a different excuse for failure every week that seems to be trotted out about him.

Nowhere near ready for the step up at this stage.

Last edited:
I am no Bamford fan but if you switched him for Maupay I think that Brighton would be ahead of Leeds right now.

When Maupay and Bamford were both in the Championship 2 seasons ago, Maupay was getting a lot more goals than Bamford, and was generally regarded the better player.

Could it not just be that Leeds play as a team to the strengths of their goalscorers, whereas Brighton aren't ?

When Maupay and Bamford were both in the Championship 2 seasons ago, Maupay was getting a lot more goals than Bamford, and was generally regarded the better player.

Could it not just be that Leeds play as a team to the strengths of their goalscorers, whereas Brighton aren't ?

The issue is that Maupay isn't missing goals because he is not being set up right he is missing goals that set up perfectly and that 90% of PL players would score.

This is not meant as an insult but do you watch Brighton play? I only ask this because a lot of Potter critics don't watch them and look only at the results and numbers, when you see them play you see that the chances are clearly created and that guys are missing goals that normal players would score. The stats don't show that at all.

It could be that but having watched both I doubt it. I also find Leeds to be by far the most overrated team in the PL so that could play into it.

I'll be on the Potter train if we go full rebuild. If we end up hiring him and keeping mostly the same squad we are fucked.
Disagree. We can certainly have a solid transition year without blowing up the (talented) nucleus of the squad.

What needs to happen is clearing the deadwood and any cancerous personalities in the dressing room, and replacing them with youth and quality signings.

I don't know all of who that would be, but it starts with Sissoko, Aurier, Winks, Sanchez, Dier, and possibly Dele. If Son's contract doesn't renew it might be best to sell to avoid losing out on most of his value.

Keep the rest (including Kane if his head is still here) and build from youth and talent. Have a new coach with a strong positive ethos instill it into the new generation, ala Poch.

It doesn't have to take 5 years.

The issue is that Maupay isn't missing goals because he is not being set up right he is missing goals that set up perfectly and that 90% of PL players would score.

This is not meant as an insult but do you watch Brighton play? I only ask this because a lot of Potter critics don't watch them and look only at the results and numbers, when you see them play you see that the chances are clearly created and that guys are missing goals that normal players would score. The stats don't show that at all.

It could be that but having watched both I doubt it. I also find Leeds to be by far the most overrated team in the PL so that could play into it.

Yes. Since lockdown I don't think I have missed a Premier League match (apart from the few occasions when they are scheduled at same time as another). I would hazard a guess I have watched them on multiple more occasions that you.
I see chances created by Brighton, by players that Potter spent record monies bringing to the club that aren't converted, but not more clear cut really than by their peers given the playing style.
I see a possession based style of football that is quite sterile in its nature. I see him doing the same thing over and over again, and not changing things when they are obviously not working.
Really I am not overly impressed, and his results since he has been in England (or Wales) bear that out so far.
It is just excuse after excuse. It is basically what Mourinho did regularly and you shot him down for it, but you are now doing it yourself for somebody else.
I think he needs to either improve Brighton by a good 10 to 15 points than he has been, which is basically Chris Hughton level, or move to a club the next level of finances club down from us (a West Ham, Villa, Wolves) and see if he can do it there, before he is worthy of a shot.
There are plenty of managers out there I rate higher, and with good reason, backed up with results as well as just playing pretty football.

a safer purchase but if Lamptey does recover and starts playing consistently, he’s a far more exciting player than Aaron’s. Beyond debate

I would be happy with either to be honest as Doherty/Aurier are so poor
Buy both because Doherty and Aurier are so poor. Sell the pair of them.

Back
Top Bottom