Europa Conference League 2021/22; potential QR2 vs Honka Espoo

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How far will we reach?

• Total voters
What's especially stupid about the way UEFA has set this up is that a club like Benfica or Monaco could drop out of the Champions League in the qualifying stages, end up in the Europa League group stages, finish third, and drop into the Conference League knockout stages.

The movement between competitions is misguided.
Yeah, that's fucking stupid. I already thought the 'dropping into Europa league' was daft, but this compounds it! So some team who did well last year can fuck up how many games until they are in the latter stages of the conference? 9? 10? They shouldn't be 'rewarded' (cough) by being able to steal a trophy from the lesser teams.

In layman's terms: any team going to the CL gets 3 chances to win a cup, playing progressively shitter teams all the way down. Nah, bollocks, they had their chance, now fuck off.

Yeah, that's fucking stupid. I already thought the 'dropping into Europa league' was daft, but this compounds it! So some team who did well last year can fuck up how many games until they are in the latter stages of the conference? 9? 10? They shouldn't be 'rewarded' (cough) by being able to steal a trophy from the lesser teams.

In layman's terms: any team going to the CL gets 3 chances to win a cup, playing progressively shitter teams all the way down. Nah, bollocks, they had their chance, now fuck off.

Not really, because any of the teams that did well last year from the better leagues will be in Champions League Group stage, and therefore not have a chance at getting into ECL.

I've never agreed with third placing dropping to the lesser contest. And as for this why not just fucking do the cup winners cup again?

Its ironic that Woolwich fans are trying to bantering over this competition, even though they couldn't qualify and lost to like 6 teams in the comp, in recent years (Us, Rennes, Roma, Villarreal, BATE, PAOK), even drew with Anderlecht few seasons back.

I've never agreed with third placing dropping to the lesser contest. And as for this why not just fucking do the cup winners cup again?
It's totally inexplicable.

The whole global sports industry has lost the plot, seeing their business as selling individual 90 minute units of programming to television, rather than acting as custodians of their fans' passion for the game.

The CWC was rendered obsolete by the expanded Champions League. When 80% of the cup winners are in the top 4 as well it doesn't work that well.

While this made the name of the competition silly, it still created an incentive for teams to compete in their national cups. It was part of an ecosystem that worked incredibly well and was durable over time.

In barely 25 years the Champions League has profoundly misshapen and weakened the sport. The only thing is has accomplished is delivering the massive amounts of short-term TV money to the people it was designed to deliver that short-term TV money to.

sure, but has any CL completing team ever won EL having been dropped down? i agree in the principle of additional chances if you've finished higher in your domestic league.

sure, but has any CL completing team ever won EL having been dropped down? i agree in the principle of additional chances if you've finished higher in your domestic league.

Yes

Athletico did it a few years ago, Sevilla 5 years ago, Chelsea about 10 years ago and a bunch of others in the 10-20 years ago range.

I may be in a minority but I am really looking forward to taking my seat in August to watch European Football, irrespective of the actual comp.

“It’s magnificent to be in Europe, and this club – a club like Tottenham Hotspur – if we’re not in Europe…. we’re nothing. We’re nothing.” - Bill Nicholson

I may be in a minority but I am really looking forward to taking my seat in August to watch European Football, irrespective of the actual comp.

“It’s magnificent to be in Europe, and this club – a club like Tottenham Hotspur – if we’re not in Europe…. we’re nothing. We’re nothing.” - Bill Nicholson
Think of the programme in 2040 when Tottenham Hotspur had that competitive match with Jizz Mongo FC.

For some reason I am taken back to when they used to choose football sides at my school. Everyone stood against a wall while the two best players selected their teams.
First ones picked were CL quality, next lot were EL quality and the poor buggers still remaining after that were reluctantly chosen and would have been labelled ECL :(

Back
Top Bottom