Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Reckon Potter could do a job here. Bring Dunk, Lallana and Prudl and we might have a fighting chance.

Lallana is past it, Dunk is average. They have one good player in Bissouma and two half decent players in Lamptey and White.

Potter’s football is a great watch and I would take him but most of the players at Brighton are average at best.

It was Nicola Cortese who brought in Poch, here's him talking about it (first spotted him on a scouting trip with Mitchell who was looking at Coutinho at Espanyol):

According to Poch himself, he didn't instigate Mitchell's appointment:

Times also said the same, when discussing how Poch wanted us to ditch the DOF:

Yep, my take on Mitchell was that Poch didn't want him, distanced himself from his appointment pronto in his press conf following Mitchell's appointment and omitted the usual bullshit pleasantries following such a hire.

I think Mitchell is a fraud and in fact, the good scouting at Southampton was done by Les Reid. The only scalp that worked for us was Toby, great bit of scouting as even though he was at Southampton on loan, no one was talking about him during this period as a standout player (mostly was a sub at Atleti, hence his loan) but when you looked at his data they were excellent, just completely under the radar.

Mitchell is now onto his 2nd job in 3yrs. (3rd in 3yrs if you discount an 18moths gardening period following us).

Yep, my take on Mitchell was that Poch didn't want him, distanced himself from his appointment pronto in his press conf following Mitchell's appointment and omitted the usual bullshit pleasantries following such a hire.

I think Mitchell is a fraud and in fact, the good scouting at Southampton was done by Les Reid. The only scalp that worked for us was Toby, great bit of scouting as even though he was at Southampton on loan, no one was talking about him during this period as a standout player (mostly was a sub at Atleti, hence his loan) but when you looked at his data they were excellent, just completely under the radar.

Mitchell is now onto his 2nd job in 3yrs. (3rd in 3yrs if you discount an 18moths gardening period following us).

I dunno Guido, I think he had some hits and misses in all his jobs. But I think that's par for recruitment. He brought in Tripper 5m, Son 27m, Wanyama 12m, TA 12m. All good business IMO. Even Wimmer 5m wasn't terrible business I guess.

Now, TA and VW didn't take scouting by him/us but he may well have been behind scouting/recruiting them at Southampton, if so that's good work.

There were some misses brought in on his watch, Njie, Nkoudou, Janssen, Sissoko, Yedlin. A couple of them really bad.

At RB it's slimmer pickings I think, I'm just guessing based on the time lines, but I would say Mukiele, Nkunku and Olmo were ok.

Just looking through the business Monaco did last summer, I'm not seeing any stand out signings that contributed to this season's success , other than Volland, who's not exactly an unknown youngster - but was still decent recruitment as he's done well. Disasi was a OK (I'm not a huge fan though) Time will tell there. I think bringing in Kovac was smarter than it looked at the time, so credit Mitchell for that, as he's DOF at Monaco, where he's merely been head of Recruitment everywhere else, although he did assume some of balding's remit after he left.

I was never totally blown away by Mitchell, there were no Mahrez's, Ndidi's or Kante's from untapped markets like Ligue2 or Belgium, there were no Bale's, Berbatov's, Modric's that even Comolli managed and there were some stinkers - although we don't know 100% if he signed off on the stinkers - but likewise we don't know if the likes of Aurier and Moura weren't initiated by his scouting before leaving.

But I'd swap him back for Steve king of the whippets Hitchen all day long.

Last edited:
I dunno Guido, I think he had some hits and misses in all his jobs. But I think that's par for recruitment. He brought in Tripper 5m, Son 27m, Wanyama 12m, TA 12m. All good business IMO. Even Wimmer 5m wasn't terrible business I guess.

Now, TA and VW didn't take scouting by him/us but he may well have been behind scouting/recruiting them at Southampton, if so that's good work.

There were some misses brought in on his watch, Njie, Nkoudou, Janssen, Sissoko, Yedlin. A couple of them really bad.

At RB it's slimmer pickings I think, I'm just guessing based on the time lines, but I would say Mukiele, Nkunku and Olmo were decent.

Just looking through the business Monaco did last summer, I'm not seeing any stand out signings that contributed to this season's success , other than Volland, who's not exactly an unknown youngster - but was still decent recruitment as he's done well. Disasi was a OK (I'm not a huge fan though) Time will tell there. I think bringing in Kovac was smarter than it looked at the time, so credit Mitchell for that, as he's DOF at Monaco, where he's merely been head of Recruitment everywhere else, although he did assume some of balding's remit after he left.

I was never totally blown away by Mitchell, there were no Mahrez's, Ndidi's or Kante's from untapped markets like Ligue2 or Belgium, there were no Bale's, Berbatov's, Modric's that even Comolli managed and there were some stinkers - although we don't know 100% if he signed off on the stinkers - but likewise we don't know if the likes of Aurier and Moura weren't initiated by his scouting before leaving.

But I'd swap him back for Steve king of the whippets Hitchen all day long.
Let's not start the Tripps shit up again, you know where I stand on him.

Son by all accounts we were after before Mitchell rocked up. Wanyama good buy but was he down to him or Poch? He can claim to have hired him for Southampton legitimately but Poch was the manager then, so it's more than safe to assume that Wanyamma was a Poch hire.

I do think he can legitimately claim TA, no-one was really raving about him, he was completely off everyone's radar as a seriously good player. I think these are the types of hires that this level of scouting should be doing more often than not, look at the record's the top guy have Campos, Andrea Berta, Monchi, may even include Overmars in that discussion. These guys support their Clubs with multiple rebuilds and increase the player values x10. Most importantly they tend to stick around a number of years (Campos is a relative novice so let's see if he remains at Lille but he has now built two teams Monaco & Lille the ONLY teams to win Lige 1 other than PSG).

The thing with Mitchell because he doesn't stick around it's impossible for him to be attributed to player 'X'. Many transfers take +1yr to get over the line, he's got Dele on his CV but as we all know this wasn't him. If he stays in one place then there's accountability, which can easily be assigned to those I've mentioned, you simply can't do that with him.

Son by all accounts we were after before Mitchell rocked up. Wanyama good buy but was he down to him or Poch? He can claim to have hired him for Southampton legitimately but Poch was the manager then, so it's more than safe to assume that Wanyamma was a Poch hire.

I do think he can legitimately claim TA, no-one was really raving about him, he was completely off everyone's radar as a seriously good player. I think these are the types of hires that this level of scouting should be doing more often than not, look at the record's the top guy have Campos, Andrea Berta, Monchi, may even include Overmars in that discussion. These guys support their Clubs with multiple rebuilds and increase the player values x10. Most importantly they tend to stick around a number of years (Campos is a relative novice so let's see if he remains at Lille but he has now built two teams Monaco & Lille the ONLY teams to win Lige 1 other than PSG).

The thing with Mitchell because he doesn't stick around it's impossible for him to be attributed to player 'X'. Many transfers take +1yr to get over the line, he's got Dele on his CV but as we all know this wasn't him. If he stays in one place then there's accountability, which can easily be assigned to those I've mentioned, you simply can't do that with him.
Not rocket science to pair up the Belgian international CBs, tbf.

Not rocket science to pair up the Belgian international CBs, tbf.
Apart from the fact he was playing RB at the time (for Atleti and Belgium). Was CB for Saints and whilst he was there he was completely off the radar, no one talking about him, wasn't highlighted as a sound bit of business by Saints even. Because of this is why I think it was a superb bit of scouting. (It's also a word of caution when people start chucking young CB's under the bus as being shit, most don't start to become standout CB's until they get to approx 26'ish)

Apart from the fact he was playing RB at the time (for Atleti and Belgium). Was CB for Saints and whilst he was there he was completely off the radar, no one talking about him, wasn't highlighted as a sound bit of business by Saints even. Because of this is why I think it was a superb bit of scouting. (It's also a word of caution when people start chucking young CB's under the bus as being shit, most don't start to become standout CB's until they get to approx 26'ish)
Maybe it was different down here (live in Southampton) as brother-in-law was most unhappy about us buying him as he was clearly quality - according to him.

EDIT: Perhaps we should hire my brother-in-law as DoF?

Maybe it was different down here (live in Southampton) as brother-in-law was most unhappy about us buying him as he was clearly quality - according to him.
I know they (Southampton/Kuman) were megga pissed off, Kuman threatening all kinds of stuff wasn't he?

But really, in mainstream media has wasn't spoken about at all. I don't recall any individual mentions of Sky, BT, BBC etc. I watched some of their games and nothing stood out and said must get him. Like White, Ake, Coady, Lascelles, Söyüncü, Stones (I've included him because he's had his struggles and been super this year but people are talking about him again), Ogbonna gets singled out for example.

Yeah fair points, agree with much of it. I don’t think he’s Monchi, Campos, Rangnick level recruiter.

But obviously you were wrong about Trippier, unless when you called him champo quality you meant La Liga champion quality ?

Back
Top Bottom