Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

But that's the point.

Poch wanted more control over transfer. He didn't want a DOF. He didn't want a technical director. He wanted to decide who we signed himself.
Levy backed his decision and it didn't work. We signed shite.

The scouting at the club does need to be completely overhauled.
Mitchell hired Poch at Southampton. When Poch came here, he wanted Mitchell on board. Mitchell arrived, Levy drove him to drink, and he tendered his resignation in the middle of a transfer window. Poch was very sorry about this. In terms of hiring a DoF/replacement for Mitchell, Poch probably feared a replacement would either be hamstrung by Levy's interference (as Mitchell was), or simply be Levy's man.

We had the right man in Mitchell. He was headhunted by Monaco (they want to implement the Red Bull model), and now they have turned their fortunes around in amazing fashion.

I don't think Poch is against the idea of a DoF, per se. I mean, he is working with one now, is he not?

Anyway, it took him a long time, but Levy finally admitted he was sidetracked by the stadium over the last few years. Said he took his eye off the ball, which is exactly what was driving Mitchell and Poch around the twist, and I can dig out quotes, if you like.

In saying all that, I don't think Poch is an elite coach. Neither am I sure about his eye for a player, so I am not suggesting we'd have a few league titles in the bag if we had kept the squad from rotting, but we'd probably have competed better, yes. Maybe we'd still be potless, but maybe not in a position where we need 4-6 transfer windows to do the necessary surgery on our squad.

Poch is never coming back - this needs to stop really
Exactly. When you sack someone (and let's never forget that's what happened), you have made a decision that the person is no longer making a positive contribution to the club. It's not a spur of the moment thing (no pun intended) or done on the whim of one person. The very fact that Mourinho was appointed the next day proves that a lot of pre planning went into Poch's departure.

To reappoint him now would simply be an attempt to try and recapture the past and you can never, ever do that. To Daniel Levy it would also be regarded as a massive failure on his part and that would not be an option for a man like him.

Mitchell hired Poch at Southampton. When Poch came here, he wanted Mitchell on board. Mitchell arrived, Levy drove him to drink, and he tendered his resignation in the middle of a transfer window. Poch was very sorry about this. In terms of hiring a DoF/replacement for Mitchell, Poch probably feared a replacement would either be hamstrung by Levy's interference (as Mitchell was), or simply be Levy's man.

We had the right man in Mitchell. He was headhunted by Monaco (they want to implement the Red Bull model), and now they have turned their fortunes around in amazing fashion.

I don't think Poch is against the idea of a DoF, per se. I mean, he is working with one now, is he not?

Anyway, it took him a long time, but Levy finally admitted he was sidetracked by the stadium over the last few years. Said he took his eye off the ball, which is exactly what was driving Mitchell and Poch around the twist, and I can dig out quotes, if you like.

In saying all that, I don't think Poch is an elite coach. Neither am I sure about his eye for a player, so I am not suggesting we'd have a few league titles in the bag if we had kept the squad from rotting, but we'd probably have competed better, yes. Maybe we'd still be potless, but maybe not in a position where we need 4-6 transfer windows to do the necessary surgery on our squad.
We did have the right man in Mitchell, no doubt about that.
The quality of our signings when he was here was very good. So much so that, as you say, he was head hunted by Monaco.
After that Poch was quite open about not wanting another DOF and wanting more control of the transfer process. Whatever the reason Levy backed him on it.
A big error by Levy imo.

That's not a dig at Poch btw.

Exactly. When you sack someone (and let's never forget that's what happened), you have made a decision that the person is no longer making a positive contribution to the club. It's not a spur of the moment thing (no pun intended) or done on the whim of one person. The very fact that Mourinho was appointed the next day proves that a lot of pre planning went into Poch's departure.

To reappoint him now would simply be an attempt to try and recapture the past and you can never, ever do that. To Daniel Levy it would also be regarded as a massive failure on his part and that would not be an option for a man like him.
If it's true that Mourinho basically tapped himself up to Levy too then Poch probably has a half decent court case against us if he wanted.

I was also under the impression that Paul Mitchell played a huge part in the first days of Poch at Spurs?
Yep.

Did a great job, got poached, and Poch decided he didn't want another DOF and more control on transfers

Yep.

Did a great job, got poached, and Poch decided he didn't want another DOF and more control on transfers

Fucking Steve Hitchens IS A TIT.

And again, look how thats turned out.

Hitchens is just Levy's yes man now.

Also I was under the impression Mitchell quit because he didn't want to deal with Daniel Levy

Fucking Steve Hitchens IS A TIT.

And again, look how thats turned out.

Hitchens is just Levy's yes man now.

Also I was under the impression Mitchell quit because he didn't want to deal with Daniel Levy

Don't know about Mitchell not wanting to work with Levy, he did get poached though.

Hitchen is A TIT, no argument from me.
I'll repeat myself for the 100th time:

Our best signing this summ would be a top, footballing, DOF.

Pochettino and PSG are the wrong pairing.

Not saying for a moment that he should return to us, because I think that would be disastrous at this stage but he is No Guardiola or Mourinho in his pomp.

These men want players who are all but finished articles and are comfortable with the egos around them.

Pochettino just isn't that man in my opinion.

If its between Poch and the likes of Potter and Ten Hag then bring him home as the other 2 are nowhere near what we need
I'm sorry but this sort of sentimentality really is quite sickening. The guy managed our football club and he was sacked. He's moved on now and is managing PSG in Paris. Spurs have also moved on, albeit mistakenly by appointing the wrong successor , but nevertheless Poch is in the past and we look to bring in someone new who can rebuild and revitalise the squad. This perception of him somehow "coming home" is more becoming of a TV soap than a football club.

He's gone and most definitely NOT what we need. Leave him to try and work out why his £550m worth of a squad lost the French title to Lille valued at £125m. So if he did come back it would hardly be "Hail The Return Of The Conquering Hero" would it ??

I'd much rather see the Lille manager Galtier at Tottenham. Now there is a success story :

Mitchell hired Poch at Southampton.

It was Nicola Cortese who brought in Poch, here's him talking about it (first spotted him on a scouting trip with Mitchell who was looking at Coutinho at Espanyol):

When Poch came here, he wanted Mitchell on board.

According to Poch himself, he didn't instigate Mitchell's appointment:

Times also said the same, when discussing how Poch wanted us to ditch the DOF:

It was Nicola Cortese who brought in Poch, here's him talking about it (first spotted him on a scouting trip with Mitchell who was looking at Coutinho at Espanyol):

Phil Foden.

Which would've been great if he got, but he got zero transfer powers.

Like I said, the only way I can see him coming back is if he gets full operational control of the football club, top down. If not, then why deal with Daniel if you know history would repeat itself.

Back
Top Bottom