Poch coming back to Spurs?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you think Pochettino would be a good choice for our next coach?

• Yes

Votes: 175 60.3%
  • No

Votes: 115 39.7%

• Total voters
The same guy who said he didn't care about Domestic cups?

He wanted the Premier league and the champions league. Maybe next time he'd feel differently (and more realistically) to focus on an FA cup.

But yeah, I think in hindsight he made a mistake by saying he didn't see much value in domestic cups. I think it's clear now that the pipe dream of a Premier league of European Cup is highly unlikely under Levy unless his transfer policy changes.

I don't think you have to be anti Poche to believe it was time for him to go or that now is probably not the right time to return, if ever.

Part of me would have him back in a heartbeat a revelation that identifies me as a member of the group who wanted him to stay despite a downturn in form and positive results.

Hard to say when the decline started, if it was indeed 18 months afore he left it resulted in perennial top 4 finishes and a CL final to boot, so its a type of decline I can certainly live with.

A lot of emphasis (rightly so) is placed on the acquisition of silverware as a barometer of success whenever the pedigree of a manager is challenged but this overlooks the modern day benchmark which the governing bodies have installed with regards to CL qualification.

There's no doubting the vast majority within fanbases prefer winning something over finishing in the (PL) top four, fact is those in charge of the game have created a system whereby domestic competitions are regarded as 'second rate' compared to European (ESL by other names) and downgraded their status of reward accordingly.

There was a time when there was very little to choose between winning the league and FA cup, sad to say that is no longer the case and the league cup has probably outlived its justification for existing.

So whatever happens in the future I will always look back on Poche's time as a wonderful period that I thoroughly enjoyed during a 5 year project that was generally successful and established us has a force to be reckoned with something that we hadn't been able to sustain for such a long time.

When I first heard the rumours of a return I thought it was a (still might be) a wind up and currently have mixed feelings about the possibility.....will it be dream return or a nightmare of epic proportions, this is Spurs innit?

This is a solid 5 year makeover. It’s not happening in two.
I sincerely don't understand what people mean when they say this. We can't tank for the #1 draft pick next year.

Name a "rebuild" in the way you're describing.

The only thing that springs to mind for me are the growing pains at City as they figured out how to spend the money wisely. Not an analogous situation.

I sincerely don't understand what people mean when they say this. We can't tank for the #1 draft pick next year.

The only thing that springs to mind for me are the growing pains at City as they figured out how to spend the money wisely. Not an analogous situation.

I think the closest would be Liverpool but even then you might be able to stretch it out to 4 years if you go to the year before Klopp came and they sold Suarez, but none of the guys they brought in were major factors in the current run, so it is more likely a 3 year build starting in 2015-16 and ending in 2018-19 when they won the CL.

Poch will never achieve anything significant in his career if doesn't learn how to be ruthless towards players that have either past their prime or just not good enough. His weird loyalty towards shit and Underperforming players will always be his greatest downfall.

And that is why I still prefer EtG over him for the rebuilding job.

You don't understand why this squad is a 5 year rebuild and not a two? If that is your confusion I will try to explain my thought on it. If that's not your confusion, then don't read below because I read your question wrong lol.

For a club like Chelsea or United they will spend £80-100m every window, for Spurs we spend that much every year (two windows). We should also be looking at bringing in youth players and developing them over time instead of buying big babe players already developed.

Our current squad has a lot of holes. At least two CBs, a RB, LB, CM, LW and ST are needed. To bring in enough players to fill those holes either by transfer or by the youth team, that is going to take more than two years.

We can't tank for a first pick but we need to be patient in order to spend the necessary funds because Levy won't do it all at once. We also need to give going guys a year or two to properly develop into the first team.

Hope that explains it.

There are, clearly, some who think we should never have sacked poch.

Hahahahaha

I think we should have backed him properly and then there would have been zero reason to sack him, but with the toxic environment that Levy created then sacking him was the right thing to do, but not because of Poch's performance or skills as a manager but because Levy made it so impossible for Poch to work with him.

There are, clearly, some who think we should never have sacked poch.

Hahahahaha
It didn't matter if it was prime Fergie, when the chairman fails to back the manager, its going south. Poch wanted to sell players and get new ones and Levy wanted the status quo to be maintained. The players knew Levy wouldn't sell them, and they stopped playing for Poch. Its really as simple as that.

It didn't matter if it was prime Fergie, when the chairman fails to back the manager, its going south. Poch wanted to sell players and get new ones and Levy wanted the status quo to be maintained. The players knew Levy wouldn't sell them, and they stopped playing for Poch. Its really as simple as that.
If you still don't see why poch had to go, not much more to talk about, really.

He really does love us, I'm beginning to warm up to #PochBack
It's a massive long shot, one thing I've not seen considered is if Poch is also using this as leverage to wrestle some ground at PSG. It's abundantly clear how divisive and political Leandro and PSG are, it's the actual reason Tuchel gave and why we walked out on them.

Reports show that Poch is unhappy with the politics already, no surprise here, but what if Poch could walk away, leave them in the shit but the hierarchy say don't go, how can we keep you?

In any event, right now Poch can relax, as he might have PSG, Spurs and Real Madrid all falling over him, he's in the box seat in this that's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom