Paulo Fonseca (Poll Added)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How do you feel about this appointment

• Like it.

Votes: 22 5.4%
  • Hate it.

Votes: 90 22.1%
  • Wait and see.

Votes: 217 53.2%
  • I quit.

Votes: 79 19.4%

• Total voters
Oh yea we are.

Every season fighting to help the club survive. Asking players to play for free. Avoiding administration each month by the skin of our teeth.

Yes we wanna win more but let's not be dramatic about it. We have it good compared to a load of other football fans.
The basis of your argument reads that things are good due financial stability, Ironically possibly something we are told we do not have hence the ongoing austerity. Is that correct ?

if you put aside the money do we really have it good compared to supporters of other clubs ? Legitimately I do not know, I don’t support other clubs.

Feel The Bern Reaction GIF by Bernie Sanders

We seem to go round this carousel every time the club goes through some trauma, usually a change of manager.

ENIC and Levy have done an absolutely incredible job turning Spurs from the epitome of a mid-table club, in truth no different historically to Aston Villa or Nottingham Forest, into one of the few global mega clubs. We are 9th in the world in terms of revenue, ahead of Juve, the goons, Dortmund and Atletico ffs. In pure football business terms it's one of the great successes of the modern era.

1Barcelona€715.1m
2Real Madrid€714.9m
3Bayern Munich€634.1m
4Manchester United€580.4m
5Liverpool€558.6m
6Manchester City€549.2m
7Paris Saint-Germain€540.6m
8Chelsea€469.7m
9Tottenham€445.7m
10Juventus€397.9m

Levy has consistently made ruthless and sharp business decisions to invest in long-term infrastructure, and resist the urge to splash cash on unreliable assets (players) when it seemed we were on the edge of becoming winners. If you were purely a shareholder you'd be extremely happy. It's not a coincidence Levy is the highest paid PL chairman.

And that's the point. The success of Spurs the business and Spurs the football club are closely aligned...but they're not the same. All of the above has been achieved without us winning a thing. Because tbh, winning is a nice cherry on the cake but it doesn't really matter, especially not when you see City and PSG dropping literal billions and still not winning their ultimate vanity project CL.

We should be happy that Spurs as a business is a great success story.

And we should be sad that there is no real footballing ambition at the club to compete, and that football as a whole has become a depressingly corrupt, unfair and unbalanced game that has lost it's connection to the communities from which it came.
What an exceptional post. I just hope the business success one day leads to a footballing success, in the modern era I don’t see how you can have one without the other.

The basis of your argument reads that things are good due financial stability, Ironically possibly something we are told we do not have hence the ongoing austerity. Is that correct ?

if you put aside the money do we really have it good compared to supporters of other clubs ? Legitimately I do not know, I don’t support other clubs.
Was really just trying to make the point that there are fans legitimately worried about the survival of their team. Some have lost their team already.

Every fan wants success for their team so we're no different there.

I wouldn't have picked the Fonz if it was up to me but you'd swear hiring him means we're about to cease to exist judging by some reactions on here.

It'll be ok. We'll either do well or we won't. Either way we'll still have our club to whinge about the next hire.

Just think some need perspective.

Yep. Agree. But the suggestion that he’s not been appointed yet as the club need to find a defensive coach is maybe a little alarming.

I'd say it were the opposite. He seems to favour playing attacking football but we have a shit defence.

That Paratici and The Fonz are looking at defensive coaches before pre-season is fantastic news. He parted ways with his defensive coach after however many years so clearly isn't wedded to the cronyism that is rife in football and always has been.

I'm not sure if Ledder's is the man for that job but that we are looking to address one of our problem areas means they have already seen what we all have and they haven't even started yet.

Was really just trying to make the point that there are fans legitimately worried about the survival of their team. Some have lost their team already.

Every fan wants success for their team so we're no different there.

I wouldn't have picked the Fonz if it was up to me but you'd swear hiring him means we're about to cease to exist judging by some reactions on here.

It'll be ok. We'll either do well or we won't. Either way we'll still have our club to whinge about the next hire.

Just think some need perspective.
Thanks for the reply fella. You are right. Perspective is important.

What an exceptional post. I just hope the business success one day leads to a footballing success, in the modern era I don’t see how you can have one without the other.
If I was a shareholder I might well be happy, however I am not and I doubt any on here are, unless Levy is lurking which I very much doubt. I do not watch Spurs to take pride in the fact our showers at the training ground have fantastic water pressure. Neither do I watch them to applaud that any investment made in said shower pressure is a stroke of financial genius for ENIC, a company as previously stated I don’t have shares in.
Much of our financial success was helped by CL football, I hope the stadium can host enough money spinning events to compensate, because despite my cynical attitude towards ENIC I want us to be a successful team on the pitch

Well, another roll of the dice, hoping we end up with someone like Poch again. When will Levy get that was a once in a generation manager and he fucked it up.

And then we went from being attached with some really good names like Nagelsmann, and ten Hag but of course, as per usual, we were slow on the uptake. Levy probably had zero intention of bringing Conte in, but just knew that having a big name would keep the fans quiet while we replace Jose Mourinho with the man that was replaced by Mourinho.

That being said, I hope that the DoF set up pays quick dividends. I get that the previous managers haven't exactly had the best backing in terms of having Levy making the football decisions and all that "head coach" bullshit; maybe he's finally figured out he's the one fucking it up.

Anyways, here's to a painful, painful rebuild and trying to figure out who we are for another six to eight years again.

Personally though, I don't care if we finish in the mid table as long as we play some entertaining football. Never been so pissed off to have to get up at 5 am to watch spurs play under Mourinho.

We seem to go round this carousel every time the club goes through some trauma, usually a change of manager.

ENIC and Levy have done an absolutely incredible job turning Spurs from the epitome of a mid-table club, in truth no different historically to Aston Villa or Nottingham Forest, into one of the few global mega clubs. We are 9th in the world in terms of revenue, ahead of Juve, the goons, Dortmund and Atletico ffs. In pure football business terms it's one of the great successes of the modern era.

1Barcelona€715.1m
2Real Madrid€714.9m
3Bayern Munich€634.1m
5Liverpool€558.6m
6Manchester City€549.2m
8Chelsea€469.7m
9Tottenham€445.7m
10Juventus€397.9m

Levy has consistently made ruthless and sharp business decisions to invest in long-term infrastructure, and resist the urge to splash cash on unreliable assets (players) when it seemed we were on the edge of becoming winners. If you were purely a shareholder you'd be extremely happy. It's not a coincidence Levy is the highest paid PL chairman.

And that's the point. The success of Spurs the business and Spurs the football club are closely aligned...but they're not the same. All of the above has been achieved without us winning a thing. Because tbh, winning is a nice cherry on the cake but it doesn't really matter, especially not when you see City and PSG dropping literal billions and still not winning their ultimate vanity project CL.

And we should be sad that there is no real footballing ambition at the club to compete, and that football as a whole has become a depressingly corrupt, unfair and unbalanced game that has lost it's connection to the communities from which it came.

This post would deserve "love" reaction, if there was one.

But I'd like to add on a point from another topic regarding this success.

While we have been managing our long term situation well and built an awesome new stadium, we have been managing more of short-term situation and short-term assets (players) really badly of late.
All of the positive things that you pointed out could have as well been achieved while we would have done better decisions in recruiting and moving on of players.
For example, if we'd have shelled out these extra 20 millions and got Bruno instead of Lo Celso / Ndombele, it would have not made any of the things you mentioned worse, but it would have meant better results which will mean long-term value. Either from better results (qualification to CL is worth A LOT) or from more pessimistic point of view profit from players purchases and sales (potential to sell Bruno on for 1,5x price we paid for him). Also in long term view better results will mean more commercial income and new fans that are willing to give their money to the club.

So all-in-all I agree that Spurs has been business success story, I firmly believe that better and more efficient use of resources in terms of scouting, player purchases and sales would have supported both - business story and sporting story of the club even better.

People say this every single time and Levy is never in the firing line.

If I had a pound for everytime some said "be patient" or "give them a chance" "if it doesn't work out then Levy will take the blame".

And every single time Levy avoids the blame.

This time the DOF will get the blame for hiring the manager and making the transfers (even though Levy has hired the DOF, again, making this his problem if it goes tits up.)

He is bulletproof and some will say "Yeah but this time it's different" again, they say that everytime.

When people finally build up the courage to recognise we will go nowhere whilst Levy is our chairman and Lewis is our owner then we can start to actually get hopeful for change.

Until then, nothing will change imo.
I don't think he avoids the blame I just think there's fuck all we can do about it. They won't sell the club until they have a buyer and I don't see anyone who's interested in stumping up £1.6 billion quid for it.

1Barcelona€715.1m
2Real Madrid€714.9m
3Bayern Munich€634.1m
5Liverpool€558.6m
6Manchester City€549.2m
8Chelsea€469.7m
9Tottenham€445.7m
10Juventus€397.9m

Yeah, I never tire of reminiscing about the day we achieved 9th in the money league. I remember everything about the day, not being able to sleep the night before, up at the crack of dawn, beers, the walk down Wembley way, the anticipation of what was to come. So glad I chose to support this business endeavour.

Yeah, I never tire of reminiscing about the day we achieved 9th in the money league. I remember everything about the day, not being able to sleep the night before, up at the crack of dawn, beers, the walk down Wembley way, the anticipation of what was to come. So glad I chose to support this business endeavour.
Excellent!

Back
Top Bottom