****England v Italy Euros FINAL 11/07/21 8pm*****

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That's a firm no for Rashford and Henderson for me.

I can see the argument for Henderson.... But Rashford? He's been out of form for about 6 months hasn't he?

I wouldn't start him myself either. But nothing would surprise me with Southgate. Who genuinely thought that Trippier would play at left-back against Croatia or that Saka would start games? But considering he clearly likes pace up top with Kane on both flanks I'd say there's more chance of Rashford starting than Grealish.

Last edited:
620623545-tumblr_ncxaj3KRcl1rp20fbo1_400.gif
I seem to remember Tim Vine being one of your favourite comedians hey Dr?

(snigger)

fuck em all....fuck em all....

I'm offended that Malta is not represented on that map. I know we're tiny, but we're strategically important, as was proven in WW2! Just in case anyone is interested, Malta is roughly split half and half between England and Italy. In fact the rivalry between the two sets of fans is akin to a local derby.

It's only fear or a stupendous Italy performance that sees this game lost.

So much has gone exactly the right way, somewhat unlike previous tournaments, that it seems destined.

What follows if we win will be interesting and undoubtedly a little nauseating....

Look what Brexit has brought us,, one of the World's best vaccination programmes and a first football tournament triumph in nearly 60 years.

That is one of and maybe the single reason to dread victory.

I'd love to know the scientific methods they used to bring about their results.....

The twitter pollsters can all do one as far as I'm concerned....... It's fashionable to hate England.

We're lovely people with a cracking group of young, gifted players from all walks of life - so it's their loss.
I don't think Italy has all these sympathies, it seems more a joke to me by virtue of the fact that we play at Wembley and therefore England are favorites.

It's only fear or a stupendous Italy performance that sees this game lost.

So much has gone exactly the right way, somewhat unlike previous tournaments, that it seems destined.

What follows if we win will be interesting and undoubtedly a little nauseating....

Look what Brexit has brought us,, one of the World's best vaccination programmes and a first football tournament triumph in nearly 60 years.

That is one of and maybe the single reason to dread victory.
Brexit didn’t bring football triumph even though it is clear that BJ is using the Europeans to do propaganda. Getting 60,000 spectators into a stadium with the Delta variant exploding is just a stupid way to distort reality. Atalanta - Valencia brought many deaths to CL, but at least there was an excuse for not knowing COVID-19 well. Now it is thought that the vaccine is enough to cushion the blows of the virus.
Pure lack of sense of responsibility.

Scoring first is imperative. Italians have an even better lock down defence than the Danes and Donnarumma is on as good form as Schmeichel. Pickford wobbled for the first time yesterday.

This is going to be a torturous few days...
We have Donnarumma while Pickford is scarce but you have Kane and we Immobile. Ciro goes offside even when he parks the car.

It’s going to be a hard match for both teams. Really can’t choose a definitive favourite. Italy maybe the better team but England playing at home with a also a very good team. Hope England wins. What Harry to lift the thing
It will be a real battle between two excellent teams and whoever wins it will not be like the random victories of Denmark 1992 and Greece 2004 but a training path also in view of the 2022 World Cup.

My concern is the midfield. Locatelli and, especially Veratti, can be very dangerous. I'm worried about the ability for them to play through Rice and Phillips. 3/4/3 could be the way to go. I think I'd opt for Mount again, but hope he has a better game and influences the midfield more.
And Barella

This is how I would rate the two sides. Obviously everyone has different opinions and would have a different result -

Pickford 7.5

Walker 8
Stones 7.5
Maguire 8
Shaw 8

Rice 7.5
Phillips 7
Mount 7.5 (would be higher if based on Chelsea)

Saka 7.5
Sterling 9
Kane 9.5

Total: 87

Italy -

Donnarumma 8

Di Lorenzo 7
Chiellini 8 (would be 9, but he is 35)
Bonnuci 8
Emerson 7

Berella 8
Jorginho 7.5
Verratti 8.5

Insigne 8
Chiesa 9
Immobile 7.5

Total: 87

I'm expecting it to be close haha.

Italy have a better midfield. Ours is good, there's is great. I think the strongest part of their team. We need to make sure that we out work and out run them in midfield as much as possible to bridge the gap there will be in technical quality. The more I think about it the more I'd be tempted to start Foden and allow him to drift inside. He's technically good enough to play in that Italian midfield and is the best technical player we have along with Grealish. We'll still get width if our full-backs are brave.

Italy got smacked around a bit by Spain in the midfield, but England don't really have a Pedri/Modric metronome type of player to dictate the pace of the match. England will (and should) try and suck the life out of proceedings and rely on their superior attacking talent to come through. Sterling/Saka/Sancho will be absolutely thrilled to be going against that Italian backline, Rice/Phillips/Mount just need to kill any Italian transition to take the pressure off the CBs.

I really don't see a reason why England should not be favored at Wembley.
Wembley is a double-edged sword. It is a spectacular stadium that can drag you but also put immense pressure on you. And this England hasn't won for 55 years so it will have pressure. Italy suffered Spain but in that case Enrique was smart in removing the striker by missing references.

Back
Top Bottom