Racism in football

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a sad state of affairs when a thread about racism descends into discussion about left/right wing politics.

Surely everyone from all sides of the political spectrum should be against racism?

Racism shouldn't be a political battleground, it's about calling out racism and trying to change the world and make it a more comfortable place for everyone to live in.
Unfortunately it's only one side of the spectrum that acknowledges there is racism whilst the other denies it in all cases and makes excuse after excuse for blatant racism.

Whilst spouting this blatant dogwhistle racism themselves...

Fully expect Sancho Rashford and Sako to release a woke rap song with the profits going to BLM.

Because if they were black, there's much less reason to assume racism.

Did I have to explain that.
Every human being has the capacity to be racist (or any other form of bigotry). There's no distinction between who dishes it out and who receives it. Yet you make the claim otherwise, that's why.

In the specific case of Rashford, Saka & Sancho (all black men) I've not witnessed a single comment from anyone on here or for that matter in the media that those dishing out the abuse were of a specific ethnicity. Until now by you!

It's a sad state of affairs when a thread about racism descends into discussion about left/right wing politics.

Surely everyone from all sides of the political spectrum should be against racism?

Racism shouldn't be a political battleground, it's about calling out racism and trying to change the world and make it a more comfortable place for everyone to live in.

Totally agree.

What is confusing is the definition of racism. An unknown perpetrator writing fuck and shit on a Rashford poster was reported as racially aggravated vandalism. Speculative.
If Kane had missed he would have got absolute pelters from all and sundry. Nobody would have questioned whether if it was black England supporters racially abusing him.
A comedian making unfunny (but statements of fact) Tweets that the white players scored but black players missed their pens has led to him being cancelled.

By making every single thing have racial connotations has actually deflected from the real message.

Lots of pretend bewilderment going on here.

100%.

It is the fear of having an actual open discussion and that is a big societal issue.

We know racism exists. We know it probably will always exist and we know it's in nearly all of us.

How to shift to reality and stop feigning disgust ?

If people on here are really surprised by what's going on then that is real ostrich territory and not being true to oneself. And it has zero to do with being woke or any other cobblers.

Totally agree.

What is confusing is the definition of racism. An unknown perpetrator writing fuck and shit on a Rashford poster was reported as racially aggravated vandalism. Speculative.
If Kane had missed he would have got absolute pelters from all and sundry. Nobody would have questioned whether if it was black England supporters racially abusing him.
A comedian making unfunny (but statements of fact) Tweets that the white players scored but black players missed their pens has led to him being cancelled.

By making every single thing have racial connotations has actually deflected from the real message.
Do you believe the comedian was making some kind of public service announcement?

Totally agree.

Much like that Aussie news platform; what do you think the point of bringing the players' ethnicity into it was about? .....What was his/their motivation?

Why should it otherwise matter what their skin colour is?

5 players took pens, 3 missed..... Why the need to profile them in such a way?

Last edited:
Totally agree.

You might have missed this post https://thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/racism-in-football.513/page-62#post-2956384

Much like that Aussie news platform; what do you think the point of bringing the players' ethnicity into it was about? .....What was his/their motivation?

Why should it otherwise matter what their skin colour is?

5 players took pens, 3 missed..... Why the need to profile then in such a way?

I agree the 'comdian' was stupid the Tweets unnecessary. No argument. But what he said was a statement of fact. Can you imagine the law trying to prosecute? Judge 'what are you here for'? 'i said the white players scored their penalties and the black players missed'. Judge 'what actually happened' 'the white players scored and the black players missed'. Judge 'case dismissed'.

I agree the 'comdian' was stupid the Tweets unnecessary. No argument. But what he said was a statement of fact. Can you imagine the law trying to prosecute? Judge 'what are you here for'? 'i said the white players scored their penalties and the black players missed'. Judge 'what actually happened' 'the white players scored and the black players missed'. Judge 'case dismissed'.

Pretty sure that saying 'I'm sorry that black guys are bad at penalties' is a) a gross generalisation and b)a pretty blanket racist statement'.

If I said that white guys suck at basketball, I would rightly be slammed for it.

Every human being has the capacity to be racist (or any other form of bigotry). There's no distinction between who dishes it out and who receives it. Yet you make the claim otherwise, that's why.

In the specific case of Rashford, Saka & Sancho (all black men) I've not witnessed a single comment from anyone on here or for that matter in the media that those dishing out the abuse were of a specific ethnicity. Until now by you!

So it would make no difference in the public perception if the vandalists were black or white? Stop point scoring.

Do you honestly think Black players are as a "statement of fact" worse penalty takers. Or do you think he took their colour and turned it into a racist jibe. They were English penalty takers first and last. As well you know. The tweet was and is racist the defending of the tweet at best misguided.

I agree the 'comdian' was stupid the Tweets unnecessary. No argument.

I've not framed it as innocent stupidity though....

Again I ask; what was the motivation for his comments?

(See cretinousgoat cretinousgoat post above for what was actually said.....)

But what he said was a statement of fact. Can you imagine the law trying to prosecute? Judge 'what are you here for'? 'i said the white players scored their penalties and the black players missed'. Judge 'what actually happened' 'the white players scored and the black players missed'. Judge 'case dismissed'.

He didn't 'merely' state a fact though......

I promised myself not to check this forum after yesterday's events but couldn't help myself. Utterly utterly depressing to read through it all. As a man with black children it's difficult to truly convey how much trauma is caused by events such as yesterday, then when you come on here and see the mental gymnastics some will go to to maintain the status quo it's exhausting. Imagine if you could only divert that level of effort into actually being anti racist rather than risk causing upset by playing whatever game it is you think you are playing (be it playing devil's advocate, being anti communist, or something more sinister). Also, some of the arguments on here I can dispel from actual lived experience as a result of having a black partner and black children - few of you can possibly say the same, so maybe rather than battering away at your keyboard perhaps take some time out to consider if your efforts could actually be better served helping other people rather than yourself?

I read some crazy Wokster on Tweeter earlier suggesting Southgate picked black players to take pen 4 and 5 on purpose knowing that if they missed it will all go racial and deflect attention from him

Absolutely mental scenes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom