Racism in football

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Standing Ovation Applause GIF by The Maury Show

Great post. Sorry you've had to have lived experiences of racism. It's not pleasant at all (to put it very mildly!).

I experiences racist abuse throughout my school years, which culminated in massive weight loss and many trips for counselling - experienced things from playground insults to physical violence, and even in adult years, experienced episodes such as a car driving past, some cunt yelling 'fucking paki' and lobbing a beer can at my head.

Racism is abhorrent, and must be stamped upon the moment it rears its ugly head, not brushed under the carpet or swept aside via mental gymnastics etc.
Thanks buddy (and thanks to the other replies I had), and likewise sorry to hear about your own awful experiences. I will always be your ally and be with you, as I would to anyone who has to suffer such terrible events

Unfortunately it's only one side of the spectrum that acknowledges there is racism whilst the other denies it in all cases and makes excuse after excuse for blatant racism.

Whilst spouting this blatant dogwhistle racism themselves...

I respect what you're saying but I have to say I don't like the discussion of "sides" when talking about racism, I feel it's divisive.

The reality is, the only way racism will ever end is by it not being a partisan issue, this is a human issue, an issue that everyone in society from all political and social leanings should be coming together for and standing against.

It's really difficult for some people to want to change when political leaning is so deeply involved because it just means people get further entrenched in their views, politics has always been the biggest division point with any discussion and race is no different and political leaders know this and will USE race as a point to cause division and whip voters.

I have also seen racism from both sides of the political spectrum and from different races and have experienced racism myself from people who I believed to be on the "right side" back when I was younger and more influenced by political bias myself (which I think we all go through at some point in our lives.)

I also think social media has enhanced the voices of the few and made it so they have a louder voice than the majority on a lot of issues.

I just feel like involving political debate with racism causes more harm than good, I think targeting the individuals who commit acts of racism and trying to change their opinion is a better option.

Erm you do realise most of the online hate posts are trolls from other countries right? The only cues they are looking for are from public figures condemning racism and building something they can knock down? We've got bots generating racist memes and then the media industrial complex gives it 24 coverage. Fully expect Sancho Rashford and Sako to release a woke rap song with the profits going to BLM.

Life isn't a South Park episode, South Park is funny as fuck but it's satire and clearly makes fun of the ignorance people have towards others.

Sancho, Rashford and Sako are real people who have experienced real racism, you saying otherwise is minimizing their experience and hand-waving the racism away, there are plenty of racist people in this country and they are real people, not bots or memes.

I promised myself not to check this forum after yesterday's events but couldn't help myself. Utterly utterly depressing to read through it all. As a man with black children it's difficult to truly convey how much trauma is caused by events such as yesterday, then when you come on here and see the mental gymnastics some will go to to maintain the status quo it's exhausting. Imagine if you could only divert that level of effort into actually being anti racist rather than risk causing upset by playing whatever game it is you think you are playing (be it playing devil's advocate, being anti communist, or something more sinister). Also, some of the arguments on here I can dispel from actual lived experience as a result of having a black partner and black children - few of you can possibly say the same, so maybe rather than battering away at your keyboard perhaps take some time out to consider if your efforts could actually be better served helping other people rather than yourself?

I am honestly surprised at some of the responses in this thread both in a good way and a bad way.

Good because it's clear a lot of people here stand against racism, bad because I see a LOT of mental gymnastics and false equivalencies because people feel uncomfortable with the truth presented to them.

I just want to say though, this is a brilliant post and mirrors how I feel perfectly.

So cant answer my question then. Youre talking to the adults now.
You have my answer to your question:

NO! I do not think there has been a massive overreaction.

If anything I want to see an even bigger reaction, I want to see these players murals at the end of every street in the country. I want to see people showing their support, love and solidarity for them.

Is that clear enough for you? Do I need to answer it a third time for you to understand it? Are you left in any doubt how I feel?

Great post. Sorry you've had to have lived experiences of racism. It's not pleasant at all (to put it very mildly!).

I experiences racist abuse throughout my school years, which culminated in massive weight loss and many trips for counselling - experienced things from playground insults to physical violence, and even in adult years, experienced episodes such as a car driving past, some cunt yelling 'fucking paki' and lobbing a beer can at my head.

Racism is abhorrent, and must be stamped upon the moment it rears its ugly head, not brushed under the carpet or swept aside via mental gymnastics etc.

Huge respect for you posting this mate.

And now you enjoy beer cans being lobbed at your head from scantily clad ladies covered in olive oil before they wrestle you to the ground.

In all seriousness though, respect.

I trust it's OK to point out that the Spurs man scored but the Gooner missed?

Seriously though, the comedian was a fucking dick, trying to be edgy, trying be all Jimmy Carr/Frankie Boyle and getting it woefully wrong

Pretty sure that saying 'I'm sorry that black guys are bad at penalties' is a) a gross generalisation and b)a pretty blanket racist statement'.

If I said that white guys suck at basketball, I would rightly be slammed for it.

If not dunked.

Of course it was with a hint of racism, whether intended or just under the conscious level.

But only said what many others would have been thinking on some level. And I repeat that is infinitely more the issue.

The reasoning behind it that is.

Hate to hate this, but Harry's comment (and the players overall stance) on this is just plain wrong...

"If you abuse anyone on social media you're not an England fan and we don't want you."

the harsh truth which everyone seems to be glossing over, is that those who dish out racist abuse against 'their own' English players ARE England fans...

Full blown, "Salute the Queen, gawd love their dear old Nan, the Kray twins were the best thing to happen to London in the '60s, fuck the IRA, Boo Ossie in '82 'cos of the Falklands, England was better back then, 2 World Wars and 1 World Cup, Vote Brexit.... fuck off back to where you came from" England fans.... and THAT'S the problem!

I trust it's OK to point out that the Spurs man scored but the Gooner missed?

Seriously though, the comedian was a fucking dick, trying to be edgy, trying be all Jimmy Carr/Frankie Boyle and getting it woefully wrong

That's his whole schick from what I gather. A few wanna cry foul about him being cancelled but the bottom just fell out of his market.... Them's the breaks...... Much like Chubby Brown or whoever before him; no-one's saying he's not allowed to perform; it's just that few platforms are prepared to give him a 'stage'.

Last edited:
You are never going to end racism, if you are going to get your panties in a twist every time some moron shits on his keyboard and hits send on an anonymous platform you are going to be permanently stressed, I also wager you are going to have a bleak view of this country which I don't feel is merited.

I don't think drawing so much attention to it does anyone any favours If I'm being honest. I just feel it paints a bleak view of this country and sows further division. I don't think this is a racist country, I mean we definitely were in the past there is no getting around that, and of course a small fringe still are. But that's the point I'm trying to make here, I think its a very small fringe.

The human race will eventually evolve out of such petty prejudices, but for the moment we are simply hard wired to fear change and to fear what may be construed to be different. Same way as eventually we will evolve out of tribalism - though what that will then mean for competitive sports I have no idea as lets be real picking teams is just forming a group identity along tribal lines.

I guess the point I'm trying to make in this ramble is that for the time being there will always be a handful of racist people but lets also please stop pretending this is an exclusively white thing, there are also plenty of racist people of all ethnicities. It's part of the human conditions.

As a half romany gypsy I may be white but I've been on the end of racial abuse myself, I've been called pikey, gypo etc, more times than I care to remember. It's not nice but I just accept some people are fucking morons, I'm not here to change the world and I'm not going to become a victim.

The reason for this ramble is I just find it infuriating when I go online to the BBC, Sky, my MSM feed all I've seen last few days is people focusing on the few idiots who abused the players and the few hooligans who beat up the Italian fans its just all negative all the time. And its wearing me down.

The enduring image I'm going to be left with, is people coming together of all walks of life and all ethnicities singing Sweet Caroline arms in arm like it should be.
This was a great tournament and a great advert for this country.

I'm not going to sweat a handful of knuckle draggers on twatter take that away.

That's his whole schick from what I gather. A few wanna cry foul about him being cancelled but the bottom just fell out of his market.... Them's the breaks...... Much like Chubby Brown or whoever before him; non-ones saying he's not allowed to perform; it's just that few platforms are prepared to give him a 'stage'.

Free speech is not consequence free. If a venue doesn't want you, then tough - that's up to them.

You are never going to end racism, if you are going to get your panties in a twist every time some moron shits on his keyboard and hits send on an anonymous platform you are going to be permanently stressed, I also wager you are going to have a bleak view of this country which I don't feel is merited.

I don't think drawing so much attention to it does anyone any favours If I'm being honest. I just feel it paints a bleak view of this country and sows further division. I don't think this is a racist country, I mean we definitely were in the past there is no getting around that, and of course a small fringe still are. But that's the point I'm trying to make here, I think its a very small fringe.

The human race will eventually evolve out of such petty prejudices, but for the moment we are simply hard wired to fear change and to fear what may be construed to be different. Same way as eventually we will evolve out of tribalism - though what that will then mean for competitive sports I have no idea as lets be real picking teams is just forming a group identity along tribal lines.

I guess the point I'm trying to make in this ramble is that for the time being there will always be a handful of racist people but lets also please stop pretending this is an exclusively white thing, there are also plenty of racist people of all ethnicities. It's part of the human conditions.

As a half romany gypsy I may be white but I've been on the end of racial abuse myself, I've been called pikey, gypo etc, more times than I care to remember. It's not nice but I just accept some people are fucking morons, I'm not here to change the world and I'm not going to become a victim.

The reason for this ramble is I just find it infuriating when I go online to the BBC, Sky, my MSM feed all I've seen last few days is people focusing on the few idiots who abused the players and the few hooligans who beat up the Italian fans its just all negative all the time. And its wearing me down.

The enduring image I'm going to be left with, is people coming together of all walks of life and all ethnicities singing Sweet Caroline arms in arm like it should be.
This was a great tournament and a great advert for this country.

I'm not going to sweat a handful of knuckle draggers on twatter take that away.
Personally I don't mind scousers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom