The “They’re really going to have a World Cup in QATAR?” Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How does that stance effect you in your everyday life?
It doesn't.

But then again neither does racism affect me or millions of people in their everyday life.

Does that mean that we shouldn't speak out about it, make a stand against it, strive for change and acceptance for all?

When it comes to discrimination, injustice and inequality?
Absolutely 100 % it's all or nothing.

Unless, of course, you are trying to say that one group is "more deserving" than another, which is itself descrimination.
So why in your quest for justice are you not fighting for improved women's rights in Qatar? Or is that not as deserving? If you're not fighting for that too, shut up.

So why in your quest for justice are you not fighting for improved women's rights in Qatar? Or is that not as deserving? If you're not fighting for that too, shut up.
Maybe you missed the bit where I said...

Unless, of course, you are trying to say that one group is "more deserving" than another, which is itself descrimination.
:mourfacepalm:

It doesn't.

But then again neither does racism affect me or millions of people in their everyday life.

Does that mean that we shouldn't speak out about it, make a stand against it, strive for change and acceptance for all?
I speak out, change my behaviour but don't do 100% what I could. I still buy Chinese goods and have dealings with Qatar banks etc.

I feel comfortable with my stance and don't think it's all or nothing.

I wonder if we'll see a high profile player stand up and withdraw from the tournament? That would be a meaningful stance IMO - although it really would have to be a prominent player for it to have impact.

I've read up on the tournament a lot and at the moment and really unsure whether to watch it. Genuinely think there are some good thought provoking points being made in this thread.

Maybe I missed the bit where you specifically addressed the subject I mentioned as much as you have your fight for gay rights, because it certainly isn't in the post you just quoted.
If you can't follow a simple conversation and are unable to understand the meaning of the word "all", then I can't help you.

So you can't make moves to improve one thing without making moves to improve everything? All or nothing?

The amount of deaths in construction of the stadium was reported as 6500 by the Newspapers. However, this number is manipulated. The 6500 deaths is the total deaths of ALL migrant workers from India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka - regardless of cause and place of world. (There are 2.3 million migrant workers in Qatar btw).

This report cites the number as 34 - Qatar World Cup: report reveals 34 stadium worker deaths in 6 years - Business & Human Rights Resource Centre

How many people needlessly died of Covid because of the low wages paid to aged care workers? You can't attract great staff when you pay 6 quid an hour.

I worked in aged care in Australia - we paid our workers 45 dollars and hours (double the minimum wage). Thats about 25 UK quids.
Curious interpretation of pretty damning evidence.

For reference, two of our recent stadium builds - Wembley 1 death, guy not clipped in a fell down a shaft. Entire site was closed and 4000 workers sent home by HSE as they began an investigation. At Spurs new stadium, 0 deaths.

34 deaths in stadium construction is a patently false figure....and even that would be crazy high. What do you think the other 6465 migrants died of, old age?

Consider the size of Qatar, and the widely critiqued 'kafala' policy of involuntary servitude and the fact these stats are from the Qatari authorities themselves.....yeah no pal, think you're going up the wrong tree with this one.

Qatar should be condemned regardless of the WC. FIFA holding it there is one of the most unforgivable acts of corruption and disdain for human life in the modern era.

I wonder if we'll see a high profile player stand up and withdraw from the tournament? That would be a meaningful stance IMO - although it really would have to be a prominent player for it to have impact.

I've read up on the tournament a lot and at the moment and really unsure whether to watch it. Genuinely think there are some good thought provoking points being made in this thread.
Probably not from the UK but could see from another country.

I'm not sure the majority of individual players carry such weight..... Messi, Ronaldo and very few others.

Even if a singular team dropped out, the casual audience likely wouldn't notice or think to seek out why.

SpiderSpurs SpiderSpurs - makes a compelling point..... Perhaps making a visible protest at the tournament would prove more impactful.

I can't pretend to know, but doing nothing doesn't sit well.

If you can't follow a simple conversation and are unable to understand the meaning of the word "all", then I can't help you.
I understand completely. You're calling out the England team/FA (*delete as appropriate) for not being vocal about specific injustices in Qatar (for a tournament that's not happening for another 16 months) after they were vocal about racism during the Euros, calling them hypocrites.

You're also being very vocal about the laws against gay people in Qatar (and rightly so), but not referring to all of the injustices specifically, so by your own argument you're a hypocrite. All or nothing. Give us your condemnation of every injustice/atrocity in the world or you're a hypocrite for only speaking out in support of just one cause. It's the same principle you're applying to England, and it's you that's failing to understand your own argument, not me.

Last edited:

We must have gay footballers who are out to players just not the public , I don’t buy for one second that no premier league footballer is gay , and I wonder how they feel about playing the World Cup in a country where them being themselves is illegal ? It’s shocking but as others have said that’s just the tip of the iceberg with Qatar where slaves died building the stadiums and women’s rights come second to men. It’s an absolute joke that it is even being held there , is it even a footballing nation?

I'm not sure the majority of individual players carry such weight..... Messi, Ronaldo and very few others.

Even if a singular team dropped out, the casual audience likely wouldn't notice or think to seek out why.

SpiderSpurs SpiderSpurs - makes a compelling point..... Perhaps making a visible protest at the tournament would prove more impactful.

I can't pretend to know, but doing nothing doesn't sit well.

Yep agreed, a squad player from Norway won't make more than minor news sadly but imagine if Messi or Ronaldo did - it would be a seismic message. I imagine they have too much to lose from it though.

I understand completely. You're calling out the England team/FA (*delete as appropriate) for not being vocal about specific injustices in Qatar (for a tournament that's not happening for another 16 months) after they were vocal about racism during the Euros, calling them hypocrites.

You're also being very vocal about the laws against gay people in Qatar (and rightly so), but not referring to all of the injustices specifically, so by your own argument you're a hypocrite. All or nothing. Give us your condemnation of every injustice/atrocity in the world or you're a hypocrite for only speaking out in support of just one cause. It's the same principle you're applying to England, and it's you that's failing to understand your own argument, not me.
So that means that whenever someone highlights any injustice then they must mention every group that has been, or is being, discriminated against.

Fair enough, I'm a bit busy at the moment but leave it with me and I'll try and post a full, complete, and comprehensive list of all groups that are discriminated against.

After all the word "all" to encompass ALL groups that are being discriminated against just doesn't cut it.

We must have gay footballers who are out to players just not the public , I don’t buy for one second that no premier league footballer is gay , and I wonder how they feel about playing the World Cup in a country where them being themselves is illegal ? It’s shocking but as others have said that’s just the tip of the iceberg with Qatar where slaves died building the stadiums and women’s rights come second to men. It’s an absolute joke that it is even being held there , is it even a footballing nation?
Argentina WC was pretty inexcusable as was the Russian but at least they were footballing nations and that was something we could hide behind.

Qatar is a high water mark but not unique.

It stinks worse but its always stunk.

Yep agreed, a squad player from Norway won't make more than minor news sadly but imagine if Messi or Ronaldo did - it would be a seismic message. I imagine they have too much to lose from it though.

messi.jpg

It’s good to know at least some footballers have morals, just been told by my ITK pal that winks has withdrawn from the 2022 World Cup as a protest ! Fair play Harry ,

Disgusting comparing gay people to pedophiles and incest! That’s a new low even for TFC!

If you took the time to read you would seen I was comparing thr laws in each country and how people follow the status quo of outrage.

Germany and Italy allows sex with 14 year olds. Yet that seems acceptable to you? Why isn't their international condemnation?

Whereas countries who ban homosexuality is universally condemned.

Why did nobody boycott Russia for its stance on homosexuals? Why did nobody boycott Brazil for its 'cleansing' of the slums of Rio. How many of the 19000 families died as a result of being forcefully evicted and the land being handed over to the wealthy to turn the area into a 'poverty theme park' for tourists.

It's double standards.

Back
Top Bottom