The “They’re really going to have a World Cup in QATAR?” Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The amount of deaths in construction of the stadium was reported as 6500 by the Newspapers. However, this number is manipulated. The 6500 deaths is the total deaths of ALL migrant workers from India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka - regardless of cause and place of world. (There are 2.3 million migrant workers in Qatar btw).

This report cites the number as 34 - Qatar World Cup: report reveals 34 stadium worker deaths in 6 years - Business & Human Rights Resource Centre

How many people needlessly died of Covid because of the low wages paid to aged care workers? You can't attract great staff when you pay 6 quid an hour.

I worked in aged care in Australia - we paid our workers 45 dollars and hours (double the minimum wage). Thats about 25 UK quids.
That 34 is those working on the stadiums (where they upped standards due to pressure) the hidden figure are those working on infrastructure to support stadiums (so still WC focused) where standards remained the same.

The fact you compare being gay with having sex with a minor and marrying your cousin sums you up mate! Jog on mug

What is acceptable in 1 country, is not in another.

Who's right is it to say what is correct? The legal age of consent in Europe is 14 - 18.

In Germany and Italy its 14. Should we ban them from football?

Turkey its 18. Should they condemn the UK for allowing sex with 16 year old children?

Who's right is it to say what is correct? The legal age of consent in Europe is 14 - 18.

Turkey its 18. Should they condemn the UK for allowing sex with 16 year old children?
I feel comfortable condemning slavery wherever it happens, do you?

Once you realise there are absolutes it's easy to understand how you can extend it to other situations.

(low pay is not slave labour, there is a choice to work)

That 34 is those working on the stadiums (where they upped standards due to pressure) the hidden figure are those working on infrastructure to support stadiums (so still WC focused) where standards remained the same.

Is there any evidence to back up the 'hidden figures'?

For context, 142 construction workers died in the UK last year at work. More than 1k in the USA. 2k in Russia.

The point is, if somebody has an agenda, they can manipulate figures for headlines. As I mentioned, the 6500 number being widely printed is ALL migrant deaths; and not just ones working in construction.

I think it's time for you to log off, mate

I feel comfortable condemning slavery wherever it happens, do you?

Once you realise there are absolutes it's easy to understand how you can extend it to other situations.

(low pay is not slave labour, there is a choice to work)

Great. We've cleared that up. The workers in QATAR are paid - so it's not slave labour then right?

Low paid work is absolutely slavery. Go tell some underpaid single mum struggling to feed her kids on her shite wages that its 'her choice' to work.

For context, 142 construction workers died in the UK last year at work. More than 1k in the USA. 2k in Russia.

The point is, if somebody has an agenda, they can manipulate figures for headlines. As I mentioned, the 6500 number being widely printed is ALL migrant deaths; and not just ones working in construction.
Yes there is

From the article you posted:

"the Guardian revealed that Qatar rarely carries out post-mortems when a migrant worker dies, making it difficult to accurately determine the cause of death and establish if it was non-work related"

....Convenient.

Great. We've cleared that up. The workers in QATAR are paid - so it's not slave labour then right?

Low paid work is absolutely slavery. Go tell some underpaid single mum struggling to feed her kids on her shite wages that its 'her choice' to work.
1)No its forced labour.

2)i said concept of slavery not specifically in Qatar, you don't think it should be condemned.

3) she can get universal benefit or change jobs, in our country with a reasonable (still) safety net there is a choice.

1)No its forced labour.

2)i said concept of slavery not specifically in Qatar, you don't think it should be condemned.

3) she can get universal benefit or change jobs, in our country with a reasonable (still) safety net there is a choice.

Great. I'll tell the single mum to stop whining and go get a better paid job. If only she'd thought of that! She should try investment banking; that pays well. Failing that, just sit at home and the government pays for everything right?

Actually it's not punishable by death and never has been. It is illegal and up to 3 years imprisonment. In 1966 when England hosted the world cup homosexuality was illegal in the UK and would land you in prison (up to life imprisonment) - Under our cancel culture rules should be erase that win from the record?

And since when did 'the West' write the rule book and what is right and wrong? You can go to prison for marrying you cousin, sex with a minor in the UK. Are UK discriminating against those groups? Should France have boycotted the Euros because the UK doesn't allow 15 year old's to have sex?

Objections to the world cup in Qatar are largely based on prejudice against Islamic nations.

That’s not right. This is a country that uses slave Labour, there are many reports on this (two small examples below).

Simply using the Islamophobia card in this is ridiculous. If we had 19th century America back and black Americans being forced to work in cotton fields and build the new stadiums we would not be hosting the World Cup there would be a boycott.

We have the same here but for some reason that’s fine, it’s not, just because it’s an Arab run country should not mean we dramatically lower moral standards, would we also play in Western China where the Uhiyurs are being put in camps.

it looks completely ridiculous to say we don’t want verbal abuse of players but slavery and human rights abuses is fine. Like saying a slap round the face is bad but a bullet to the face we should ignore.

Great. I'll tell the single mum to stop whining and go get a better paid job. If only she'd thought of that! She should try investment banking; that pays well. Failing that, just sit at home and the government pays for everything right?

We have minimum wage laws... We have tax credits and other parts of the benefit system to support low income families.

They are not slaves.

Britains Got Talent No GIF by Got Talent Global

This is a click bait article.

Here's a direct quote from the Guardian article.

"There have been 37 deaths among workers directly linked to the construction of the world cup stadiums, of which 34 are classified as "non work related"

So 3 deaths, in 10 years then. How many died building the new spurs stadium? 1 or 2 wasn't it?

This is a click bait article.

Here's a direct quote from the Guardian article.

"There have been 37 deaths among workers directly linked to the construction of the world cup stadiums, of which 34 are classified as "non work related"

So 3 deaths, in 10 years then. How many died building the new spurs stadium? 1 or 2 wasn't it?

I wasn’t referring specifically to deaths just total lack of rights. Seems your comfortable with the whole thing.

So you can't make moves to improve one thing without making moves to improve everything? All or nothing?
When it comes to discrimination, injustice and inequality?
Absolutely 100 % it's all or nothing.

Unless, of course, you are trying to say that one group is "more deserving" than another, which is itself descrimination.

Low pay is not slavery especially if there is a social safety net, because you put it this way doesn't make it anymore true.

When it comes to discrimination, injustice and inequality?
Absolutely 100 % it's all or nothing.

Unless, of course, you are trying to say that one group is "more deserving" than another, which is itself descrimination.
How does that stance effect you in your everyday life?

Back
Top Bottom