Pacos Ferreira v Tottenham Hotspur (Euro Conference) Thursday 19 August @ 19.30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I will bet now that there isn’t a 60,000 crowd for this. Love your optimism but I just don’t see it being over 25,000 at best

a 25,000 crowd is still 10 times the size of their average. So a huge draw for them, just like if we play a League 2 side its a big draw.

BTW I am NOT saying Pacos are like a League 2 side or we should treat them as such.

Terribly.

I think Palace has made some good signings (for their level) lately and Viera has shown nothing that he should be a PL manager.

Not sure what that has to do with this game though.
nothing, but you asked a specific question!

Makes you wonder.... How many of these teams have bigger fish to fry (either up or down the table) domestically that they're gonna place much of an emphasis on a 3rd rate European cup run.... Meanwhile; we're like the PSG/City of this competition in terms of wealth and squad depth.
Usually, these small teams in Portugal don't care much about european competitions, staying in the Portuguese top division, is by far, the biggest priority. Europe is a distration and they have zero expectations of going far, anyway.

Depending on what TV contracts they have, a tie with Spurs can make a big difference financially, though.

I'm not sure what approach Paços will go for, because their line-ups have been confusing... For example, even though they rotated a lot against Larne, their star player (Stephen Eustáquio) played the whole 90 minutes in an almost meaningless 2nd leg, and again yesterday, even though they lost 3-0. So will he finally rest Thursday? Makes no sense to me if that's the case, he should be playing this important game... I'd like them to go full strength Thursday, would make for a more balanced game, but hard to predict what they'll do...

Usually, these small teams in Portugal don't care much about european competitions, staying in the Portuguese top division, is by far, the biggest priority. Europe is a distration and they have zero expectations of going far, anyway.

Depending on what TV contracts they have, a tie with Spurs can make a big difference financially, though.

I'm not sure what approach Paços will go for, because their line-ups have been confusing... For example, even though they rotated a lot against Larne, their star player (Stephen Eustáquio) played the whole 90 minutes in an almost meaningless 2nd leg, and again yesterday, even though they lost 3-0. So will he finally rest Thursday? Makes no sense to me if that's the case, he should be playing this important game... I'd like them to go full strength Thursday, would make for a more balanced game, but hard to predict what they'll do...

The money available if they make it to the group stages must be a pretty big incentive for them? Nearly €3m for being in the group stages even before any win/draw payments.

The money available if they make it to the group stages must be a pretty big incentive for them? Nearly €3m for being in the group stages even before any win/draw payments.
Is it really 3 million? I had no idea. Yeah, that would be a small fortune for them! Based on that I think they'll play their best 11.

Back
Top Bottom