Wolves (A) 2pm - The Nuno derby

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It wasn’t enjoyable and we could quite easily improve. There’s a lot to get behind but that is unsustainable with that 11.
Agree on the playing better and losing, but not often
Ultimately it's about results. I'd love us to play like prime barca week in week out but really this season we need results. We'll play well we'll play poorly but if we find a way to nick enough results when playing poorly we'll be in a good position come the end of the season.

We're still short of players that can change the style of play or formation. Don't think bergwyn is very good.and of course without kane for most of the game we lacked a presence to help hold the ball...
I won't sit here and say we've played a perfect game today but we got the perfect result. We're fighting which is something that hasn't been there for 2 seasons now. We will look to shift tanguy now I would think which will surely see a creative midfielder coming in. If kane stays then we know what he adds and it makes us a much better side.

Interesting to read the comments on here. Anyone who says we played poorly or were lucky etc seems to be getting battered - do people really have such short memories? We were top less than a year ago on the back of games just like this one - generally outplayed but defensively solid combined with the opposition either not being able to create good chances, or not being able to finish them. In time, the results regressed to match the performances, and despite being top well into the season, managed to miss out even on Europa League.

Don't get me wrong, it's early in the season and performances can quickly change, whereas no one can remove points already scored, so I'd rather have the 3 points than the good performance - but just like last year, IF we carry on playing like that (both style and quality) we will struggle to improve on last season's final position.

Also, utterly ridiculous the number of people answering the question of 'how on earth did we win that?' with 'we scored and Wolves didn't' - that simply shows a total ignorance of football. Posters asking that question aren't querying the mathematical mechanics of the game, they are looking objectively at the 90 minutes of football and concluding that we were very fortunate not to concede more chances and goals. It's true that Wolves didn't create many really good chances - perhaps just the one - and it's true that we defended well, but anyone who understands football must surely recognise that on average if you have to take on that much pressure in a game, you will concede at least a couple of goals. We actually got away with it several times with Mourinho, and maybe it had some on here thinking we'd found some magic formula, but when 'the percentages' finally kicked in, we all saw the reality.

Hey ho, we got away with it today, 6 points in the bag and hopefully the shape, style and performances improve as Nuno gets everyone and his all systems / tactics all working the way he wants them to. :)
All those words, but the key bit ... "It's true that Wolves didn't create many really good chances - perhaps just the one".
We created at least 6 genuine chances apart from the penalty.

I just hope Wolves are as good as they looked. Very energetic. Good passing. My daughter opined that our shirts were somehow a camouflage that prevented us from accurately passing to each other. Anyway, 3 points.

I have been very positive about this game...
That "positivity about this game"...

The smartest thing about Dele winning that penalty is that it will take the focus away on his terrible first touch.

(Nuno) couldn't fix it when he was at Wolves, not sure why we would think he could fix it here.

We are lucky that Wolves are useless when they get close to goal.

Can we stop with the Dier/Sanchez are good enough even if we sneak this 1-0 score out?

Its so easy for Wolves to get the ball back when they lose it

Yes Winks time!!!

Wolves carved our defense, in MF and the backline, apart.

Glad to get the 3 points but I do not get all the comments about how our defense looked solid. It was a terrible defensive performance.

He had two saves to make because Wolves shot the ball 5 yards over the net or right into defenders, not because our defenders were making good plays or cutting out Wolves chances.

I just hope Wolves are as good as they looked. Very energetic. Good passing. My daughter opined that our shirts were somehow a camouflage that prevented us from accurately passing to each other. Anyway, 3 points.
funny enough my daughter said something similar
" Wow, they'll find it hard to see each other with those shirts on. especially with a crowd in the background.. all those colours, yuk"

@dav

The smartest thing about Dele winning that penalty is that it will take the focus away on his terrible first touch.

(Nuno) couldn't fix it when he was at Wolves, not sure why we would think he could fix it here.

Can we stop with the Dier/Sanchez are good enough even if we sneak this 1-0 score out?

Yes Winks time!!!

Glad to get the 3 points but I do not get all the comments about how our defense looked solid. It was a terrible defensive performance.

He had two saves to make because Wolves shot the ball 5 yards over the net or right into defenders, not because our defenders were making good plays or cutting out Wolves chances.
How the actual fuck does Igula Igula keep getting away with blatant trolling Admin Admin ?
Legit question

Yes Winks time!!!

It’s not negative and taken out of context, especially the Nuno quote which was a comment on Traore not Nuno at all.

I would say every one of those were true comments not negative in anyway.

Sort of odd how none of those who have spent months on end really hating on Eric Dier aren't men enough to acknowledge how good he was today (and last week too).
Outside of the brain fart when he gave away the ball that led to the Traore chance, he was very good. The issue is that he seems to have one of those brain farts in his locker every match as opposed to every 4th or 5th.

But both he and Sanchez have played very well. It seems clear that Nuno has helped them find their confidence again.

Blimey it needs spelling out as it was unclear from watching it to some fans I guess. More possession and that too in our half Vs their own. More shots on goal, corners, crosses etc. No end product thank god for that.
Marginally more possession, exactly the same shots on goal, we had a marginally better xG.

So they won the possession then...

Just...

Yup, pwopa battering...

the naked gun facepalm GIF

Got back from Wolves about an hour ago, plenty of time to reflect on the performance on a slow moving M1…..
We weren’t good, at times we made Wolves look like peak Barcelona in full flow.Much work to be done but let’s just enjoy our six points and hope for a very strong finish to the transfer window.Thought big Dav put in another strong performance,Dele worked tirelessly and Bergwijn is improving,he has come on leaps and bounds. Excellent performance and leadership from Hugo.
Traore is an incredible talent,with slightly improved end product he would be world class.Would love to see him play in our team.
COYS!!!

I don't need to watch it again if already watched it. It's clear to anyone with eyes they battered us first half and it's fortune that kept it at 1-0. Course fans with common sense would make you sick as you haven't a clue what you're watching
Wrong but ok. Have a nice life boy . Blocked

Wolves are not some relegation fodder they are a fucking class side that are well up for this and for all the "domination" they have had they haven't had a single shot on target

They will tire and we will be better second half just stop melting
Good call - this pretty much happened, especially after Lo Celso and Kane came on.

In 180 minutes of Football, Lloris has had a total of what, 3 saves to make. Home against the Champions, and away against Wolves, where we don't have the greatest of track records.

But you crack on with the agenda.

Thank goodness City and Wolves missed the net with their clear chances.

Doesn’t change the fact the defense let them have those chances but it allows people to stick with their narrative about tough saves for Hugo actually meaning something.

Back
Top Bottom