Argentinian internationals and Quarantine

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Probably doesn't help that the Argentina coach is a bit psycho. Always thought he looked a bit amped up on the touchline, but seeing him talking with other players/coaches after the game stoppage last night really drove it home. I've never seen somebody so dangerously expressive with their hands while speaking.

One positive, Gio absence will increase Ndombele minutes. I think he'll get plenty over the next few weeks and Nuno will get a good tune out of him.

FIFA speaks! And says absolutely fuck all, nothing to do with us, guv.

"FIFA regrets...." is right up there with the lamest cop outs of all time, as if what happened has nothing to do with them.

Money-grubbing wankers.

-----------------------------------------------------

In a statement following Sunday’s extraordinary events, Fifa said: “Fifa regrets the scenes preceding the suspension of the match between Brazil and Argentina for the Conmebol qualifiers of the Fifa World Cup 2022 which prevented millions of fans from enjoying a match between two of the most important football nations in the world.

“The first match official reports have been sent to Fifa. This information will be analysed by the competent disciplinary bodies and a decision will be taken in due course.”

Speaking on Monday, the Fifa president, Gianni Infantino, appeared to lament the inflexibility of some governments in not allowing players quarantine exemptions. The UK was among those to reject Fifa’s plea for a lenient approach to footballers in this international break.

“We have been trying since last year to find compromises, to find agreements with clubs, with countries, with governments,” Infantino said. “We have been given assurances by some governments. Some of these assurances were respected. Others were not of course. We are living in a particular situation, so we need to take this into account.”

Referring to events in São Paulo he said: “It’s crazy, but we need to deal with these challenges, we need to deal with these issues which come on top of the Covid crisis.”

Tottenham angry at Lo Celso and Romero for travelling with Argentina

Sounds like our FA/Gov are chief players in this.

If running this club, I would play this against them (ie. support Lo Celso and Romero, meeting had, blaming the hard line officials), try to create a siege 'I'll show you' mentality.

People saying they'd fine them is silly IMO. They just got humiliated on TV worldwide, no need for more upset, just a firm "we did tell you" if the club indeed did try to stop them.

Probably doesn't help that the Argentina coach is a bit psycho. Always thought he looked a bit amped up on the touchline, but seeing him talking with other players/coaches after the game stoppage last night really drove it home. I've never seen somebody so dangerously expressive with their hands while speaking.

One positive, Gio absence will increase Ndombele minutes. I think he'll get plenty over the next few weeks and Nuno will get a good tune out of him.
I do like your positivity

This situation is shit but lets be honest, neither player has contributed much to the team yet this season so it's not the end of the world.

Rodon is fit and Sanchez is on his way back. Ndombele back in the fold.

We'll be fine.

Inherited Maradona's contact list...

I do like your positivity
I couldn't sleep the other night and had one of our games from last season on ... vs Fulham. Ndombele was awesome. I'm a bit sick of his carry-on myself, but people have some kind of collective amnesia regarding his performances. Look forward to seeing him in the 4-3-3.

This situation is shit but lets be honest, neither player has contributed much to the team yet this season so it's not the end of the world.

Rodon is fit and Sanchez is on his way back. Ndombele back in the fold.

We'll be fine.

This is why I don't understand the indignance, both are clearly not first choice (yet) so playing Internationals rather than just Europa C games is no bad thing, who would turn it down in their place if told they are wanted to play are the entry concerns are unfounded.

The mind fuck around COVID is the problem here, for me.

And what irritates me is that one of them just came for a big fee and should be fighting to win a starting spot ASAP. The other is a walking crook that was injured more time than playing in two years but is miraculously always fit to play for Argentina. Fine them well.

Oh lookee - the lunatic fascist dictator Bolsonaro is allegedly planning a military coup.

Anyone who's been even vaguely following events in Brazil knows Bolsonaro thinks "a real man shouldn't be afraid of Covid-19", so the notion his government could care less about double-jabbed athletes entering the country & staying in swanky hotels is absolute nonsense.

As is the notion that Brazilian authorities did not realise that UK-based footballers had been resident in the UK during the last 14 days. The fact GLC, Romero & co flew in from Venezuela is completely irrelevant.

FIFA, the Brazilian FA and the Argentine FA have clearly failed to agree and maintain the Covid protocols that elite athletes have been living in for months. But that is on the money-grubbing authorities, not the players who fundamentally just want to play football for their countries.

It's clear El Loco Bolsonaro saw a chance to exploit populist anger, and in an act of high farce marched the Covid Police onto a football pitch several minutes into one of the great fixtures of world football.

------------------------

Brazil: warning Bolsonaro may be planning military coup amid rallies​

Former world leaders and public figures say nationwide marches are modelled on US Capitol insurrection

Brazil: warning Bolsonaro may be planning military coup amid rallies
He might come up with a "final solution" for all this mayhem.

And what irritates me is that one of them just came for a big fee and should be fighting to win a starting spot ASAP. The other is a walking crook that was injured more time than playing in two years but is miraculously always fit to play for Argentina. Fine them well.
Plus about 40+ hours in a plane over the course of 10 days. F that, it’s gruelling

Sounds like our FA/Gov are chief players in this.

If running this club, I would play this against them (ie. support Lo Celso and Romero, meeting had, blaming the hard line officials), try to create a siege 'I'll show you' mentality.

People saying they'd fine them is silly IMO. They just got humiliated on TV worldwide, no need for more upset, just a firm "we did tell you" if the club indeed did try to stop them.
I agree.

But it's the journalists like Ally Gold who typically get info direct from the club who are saying Spurs will fine GLC, Romero & Davinson.

I do wonder what game Levy thinks he's playing here. Davinson is playing as well as he's ever done for us, we've just signed Romero and GLC should be our creative 8 in Nuno's formation.

Fining the players seems an idiotic decision, side-stepping the fundamental football authority / international Covid regulation issues which are at the heart of this clusterfuck.

Back
Top Bottom