And if you know your history

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Great post. The detachment of players from fans is really bad now. At WHL, even in the latter years, you could get a close up view of the players coming in and out, grab an autograph after the game if you were in the West Stand… now there’s the underground car park, players zoom away in blacked out windows, and the training ground is like Fort Knox. They should have open days and other initiatives to bring fans and players together on a human level. We are The Club.
Like a fair few on here, my old man used to take me and my brother to watch us train over Cheshunt. Just used to stroll in, they aren’t real people now more like super heroes to my kids, always love Tottenham as a club but what it and top flight football has become is horrible

Although I went to my first game in 1969, it wasn't until 1981 that I was going regularly and in 1982, I got my first season ticket on the Shelf, think it was something like £65. Joined the Supporters Club and started going away games. Every spare penny, after paying the bills, went on following Spurs. Didn't miss a game for 5 years, until we broke down on our way to Norwich (Ray Clemence's last game). I couldn't afford all the European away games, but managed a couple.
Such happy times, made so many friends, who I still see to this day. My passion for Spurs has never changed, and doubt it will. But can't say that I get the same feeling of real togetherness between the supporters and the players as those days, apart from odd occasions. The ones that immediately spring to mind - the Man C game two weeks ago, the Inter game in the CL, and Real Madrid at Wembley.
Even away games don't have the same feeling anymore (not that I have been to that many since the turn of the century), I used to come away with no voice, but that's not the case in recent times.
Maybe this hankering for a better, simpler time is just a desire to be 25 again :), but football has been taken over and corrupted by SKY, dodgy owners, social media and obscene amounts of money. The gulf between the haves and have nots gets bigger by the day - reflects life, I suppose - and no, I don't have the answer, unfortunately.
Some may say I'm living in the past, I don't think I do, but I do like to visit occasionally.
Did not get that many women/girls going in those days,times have changed for the better

I can remember being dropped off outside the White Hart pub after away games and going in and getting players autographs. Imagine that now.
Same as at the training ground for us younger ones. Use to talk to Gerry Armstrong on my estate,on a regular basis. Even in the late 80s it wasn't unusual for Gazza to appear in a Hoddesdon pub me and my mates would be in.

Memories...

spursline.jpg

Back
Top Bottom