Steven Bergwijn

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't think that's fair, he had a good game. Won the ball back and set up the penalty foul. Put in the ball that Berghuis nodded back for Depay. Set up a good chance Berghuis should have scored from but air-kicked. His shooting is the one big mark against him, I never have faith he's going to score. Just puts his foot through the ball.
I would never be confident of him scoring in a one on one with the keeper

A snapshot outside the area where he doesn’t have time to think then maybe

He's a decent player and it's hard not to like him, but I've never known a forward player to be less of a goal threat than he is, and that's a big problem as it puts loads of pressure on Kane and Son, even more so when there's barely any goals in our midfield.

He's a decent player and it's hard not to like him, but I've never known a forward player to be less of a goal threat than he is, and that's a big problem as it puts loads of pressure on Kane and Son, even more so when there's barely any goals in our midfield.
Agreed. Likeable guy, works hard, frustrating hints of brilliance, but as each game goes by looks more and more like a shrewd signing for Newcastle or Palace. Not convinced a top4 player. Still time to come good, but if still patchy by Christmas probably not going to happen

Agreed. Likeable guy, works hard, frustrating hints of brilliance, but as each game goes by looks more and more like a shrewd signing for Newcastle or Palace. Not convinced a top4 player. Still time to come good, but if still patchy by Christmas probably not going to happen

As long as he keeps on giving 100% I'll back him. If nothing else he has plenty of energy and helps to create space for the likes of Son and Kane. But 4 goals in over 50 appearances for us really doesn't make good reading however you look at it.

As long as he keeps on giving 100% I'll back him. If nothing else he has plenty of energy and helps to create space for the likes of Son and Kane. But 4 goals in over 50 appearances for us really doesn't make good reading however you look at it.
He needs active coaching training scenarios repeated daily where he is the third man runner played in on the keeper. He can be taught Pep 100% improved Sterling the same can be done to Steven.

I look at Gray for Everton who has really started the season well and I look at our very own Bergwijn with despair. Gray looks confident, fast and composed on the ball. Bergwijn can’t hit a barn door. He’s just not good enough boys it’s as simple as that. 1 goal in his last 30 games is astonishingly abysmal for a forward player.

I look at Gray for Everton who has really started the season well and I look at our very own Bergwijn with despair. Gray looks confident, fast and composed on the ball. Bergwijn can’t hit a barn door. He’s just not good enough boys it’s as simple as that. 1 goal in his last 30 games is astonishingly abysmal for a forward player.
Stats don't paint the full picture though, and I really do think he has improved over the summer and is performing better now.

I do think though that if he doesn't start adding more goals and assists to his game then we will need to start looking at other options next summer.

Srsly?
Gray?
You pick a random lump of wood as comparison?

He was moved on twice for 2 mEUR. Which is roughly what he his worth.
In Leverkusen he also scored 1 goal in a season. And over his whole career he has scored 25 senior goals.

Guy has 0 talent and no outstanding abilities. At some moments we were linked with him and I am so happy we did not get him. I think it might have been before he moved to Leicester. Cause literally he is just a warm body - no significant strength, no real pace, no game reading ability, not a great shooter.

He is enjoying purple patch in the start of the season, this 3 goals for 4 games is very likely to remain as his best run of form in his life.

I would pick Bergwijn over him 24/7.

P.S Townsend also has 2 goals and 2 assists for Everton this season. Maybe you'd like him back as well ? :D

Srsly?
Gray?
You pick a random lump of wood as comparison?

He was moved on twice for 2 mEUR. Which is roughly what he his worth.
In Leverkusen he also scored 1 goal in a season. And over his whole career he has scored 25 senior goals.

Guy has 0 talent and no outstanding abilities. At some moments we were linked with him and I am so happy we did not get him. I think it might have been before he moved to Leicester. Cause literally he is just a warm body - no significant strength, no real pace, no game reading ability, not a great shooter.

He is enjoying purple patch in the start of the season, this 3 goals for 4 games is very likely to remain as his best run of form in his life.

I would pick Bergwijn over him 24/7.

P.S Townsend also has 2 goals and 2 assists for Everton this season. Maybe you'd like him back as well ? :D

Nope. The point isn’t about them being great. The point is we have forward players that offer zero threat upfront. Bergwijn is dog shit, end of story son. Average players like gray and Townsend are scoring and assisting for Everton. We can’t even get a tune out of the hapless Bergwijn.

Nope. The point isn’t about them being great. The point is we have forward players that offer zero threat upfront. Bergwijn is dog shit, end of story son. Average players like gray and Townsend are scoring and assisting for Everton. We can’t even get a tune out of the hapless Bergwijn.
A bit harsh. We win three games with him in the side, he assists (generous) a winner in he first game and misses a 1v1, sets up Kane for a great chance vs Wolves and has a good effort saved, poor vs Watford. He looks a lot fitter this year, and created two goals and a guilt-edged chance in his Netherlands appearance.

He's doing okay this season, and I'd expect all of our forward players to improve when we get Gio and/or Ndombele in the side.

A bit harsh. We win three games with him in the side, he assists (generous) a winner in he first game and misses a 1v1, sets up Kane for a great chance vs Wolves and has a good effort saved, poor vs Watford. He looks a lot fitter this year, and created two goals and a guilt-edged chance in his Netherlands appearance.

He's doing okay this season, and I'd expect all of our forward players to improve when we get Gio and/or Ndombele in the side.

Isn’t good enough for me mate. The fact that you are using that one on one miss as some sort of positive is enough for me. He’s not clinical or confident enough. He isn’t a natural goal scorer. He misses piss easy chances and ones that have cost us games ( Liverpool away ).

Stats don't paint the full picture though, and I really do think he has improved over the summer and is performing better now.

I do think though that if he doesn't start adding more goals and assists to his game then we will need to start looking at other options next summer.
I don't see anything about Bergwijn that suggests to me he's raised his game, and I don't see anywhere in sight the possibility that he's suddenly going to add goals and assists to his repertoire.

Isn’t good enough for me mate. The fact that you are using that one on one miss as some sort of positive is enough for me. He’s not clinical or confident enough. He isn’t a natural goal scorer. He misses piss easy chances and ones that have cost us games ( Liverpool away ).
Yeah, I don't think he'll cut it as a long term starter in our front three, but I'm thinking we'll see a decent season from him all the same. You did call him dogshit.. he mightn't be CL level but dogshit is very harsh.

I agree it is a worry that Bergwijn is not enough of a threat. And unlike some, I am not certain he will manage to become prolific scorer, even though he seems to have a good shot on him.

But your two word evaluation (which I obviously will not repeat) is way too hash. Specially if you compare him to Gray and Townsend.
Cause once more - this season they have both scored more in EPL than Kane as well. I would not say that it makes them better players than Kane is.

I agree it is a worry that Bergwijn is not enough of a threat. And unlike some, I am not certain he will manage to become prolific scorer, even though he seems to have a good shot on him.

But your two word evaluation (which I obviously will not repeat) is way too hash. Specially if you compare him to Gray and Townsend.
Cause once more - this season they have both scored more in EPL than Kane as well. I would not say that it makes them better players than Kane is.

No, but Harry Kane and Son don’t need to prove anything mate. Bergwijn does. My point is, if the likes of Gray can get 3 goals already in 4 games, then why the fuck is Bergwijn still looking like a donkey in attack ? He’s just not good enough for me

Back
Top Bottom