Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think a move to another club would be good for Dele. It could revitalise his career, and at 25 years old he is entering his prime years as a footballer.
For Spurs, he has 3 years left on his contract, his wages might be better spent on another player.
The main issue however is, how many other clubs would really want him, and at what price.

He should retire from football now - and plough his money into developing a range of health food shops/eateries - Dele-Catessens.

:dude:

I find the negativity towards Dele rather strange. In our opening 3 games he was very good, playing outside of his normal position. Made some important defensive contributions and worked non stop.

The whole team didn't perform against Palace, and the turnaround in the 2nd half of the Chelsea game was due to Kante marking Dele out of the game.

Agree that against Woolwich he was woeful - but to be fair; so was the entire squad due to the tactics adopted.

4-2-3-1 seems to be our strongest formation. Son / Kane and Moura seem to be nailed on starters for now and Holjberg/Skipp are proving to be a formidable duo. So that only leaves 1 stop for GCL, Dele and Ndombele to compete. 3 very different players; with 3 different skills sets.

We saw against Villa that Ndombele just doesn't do enough. No tracking back, no showing for the ball - If he popped up with a goal or assist every game this could be forgiven, but for me he doesn't do enough to warrant a start.

Still a big role for Dele to play for us this season.

He was really good against City.

But both - against Watford and Wolves he was our worst CM.
Worst pass accuracy, least passes, least touches, most times dispossessed.

Effectively he put less effort into passing and moving the ball, but on the flipside, did not provide anything that would be better compared to PEH and Skipp. So... yea... he was not "very good". He was poorest of the trio. And our ability to move the ball quickly upfield suffered because of it.

PEH and Skipp don't have some out-of-this-world passing range, let's face it. They need someone with good passing / crossing / long balls ability. Dele does not provide it. It's the biggest issue in the squad right now - and I guess we have to wait and pray that Ndombele and Lo Celso can somehow fulfill this role. Not too confident about it myself though.

I like Dele but his skill set is very specific. He is what the Germans call a raumdeuter (space finder) if you give him total freedom he can make runs dragging defenders, score goals and create assists but outside of this very clear role his limitations are too much.

He isn’t press resistant, he get bullied a bit, he often slows attacks down sitting on the ball and he isn’t very fast. Therefore he cannot run a midfield, he is purely a David Platt type player who supplements the team with goals and assists and that’s about it.

The old Poch system where he operated with freedom behind Kane was the best fit for him.

Dele has rightly lost his place in the PL team but is still an important squad member and will come off the bench and start the European matches. We cannot just weaken the squad and expect the first teamers to play twice a week.

Dele is shocking
I've been saying it for the past year.

He got dropped and we play well.

He slows this team down. This is the problem. He can't pass , he can't dribble well , his shooting is appauling. What does he actually do?

Run about? I'll go down to Watford and ask for Sissoko back if you want someone to run about.

He can't change game and he can't threaten an opposition.

So so poor and anonymous recently and even against NS Mura didn't look great against a really bad team. He doesn't fit into this team. I wish this club and some of our fans (not really people on this forum but people on twitter , some journalists etc..) would stop thinking he'll come back or saying he's good. He's not and he's not coming back. He's been out of form not for weeks but YEARS.

he definitely wasn't "very good" in our first 3 games. He ran around a lot but with zero purpose. He neither helped defensively or contributed in an attacking sense...he just ran...a lot.

I've defended Dele for years on here but sometimes you can't defend the indefensible.

When the running distance stats are used as a defence you know things are on the nose.

I just hope Nuno doesn't try to get cute by keeping Levy or the dressing room happy and sneaking him back into the squad. It could cost him his job.

I don’t think he has a renaissance in any other big 5 league.

Germany too intense because everyone presses.

French too physical, full of great athletes.

Spanish too technical, Dele’s too sloppy on the ball.

Italian league is slow but needs decisiveness from their forwards, he’s far too inefficient.

No idea where he goes from here.
Might get a few games from the bench for Wealdstone.

The Guardian stated that we would find it difficult to get 20M for him at the minute. If a paper is willing to go out on a limb and put that number down it's probably time we accept we ain't getting 30-40M for this player AND HE'S NOT WORTH IT. We already know DL is going to price him out of any realistic market.

The key is moving him out for whatever is on offer just like we should have done with Kane. We need not setup another situation of overinflated expectations and resist doing the right thing for the team going forward.

Third manager in a row sitting him down after providing him an unwarranted starting position. He's just not a good footballer.

I'm personally still waiting for the 60 mill bid for PSG. It's coming. Any day now.

I don’t think he has a renaissance in any other big 5 league.

Germany too intense because everyone presses.

French too physical, full of great athletes.

Spanish too technical, Dele’s too sloppy on the ball.

Italian league is slow but needs decisiveness from their forwards, he’s far too inefficient.

No idea where he goes from here.

It's all good, he can still play fortnite in Scotland. And I hear Hearts are on the rise.

Dele is shocking
I've been saying it for the past year.

He got dropped and we play well.

He slows this team down. This is the problem. He can't pass , he can't dribble well , his shooting is appauling. What does he actually do?

Run about? I'll go down to Watford and ask for Sissoko back if you want someone to run about.

He can't change game and he can't threaten an opposition.

So so poor and anonymous recently and even against NS Mura didn't look great against a really bad team. He doesn't fit into this team. I wish this club and some of our fans (not really people on this forum but people on twitter , some journalists etc..) would stop thinking he'll come back or saying he's good. He's not and he's not coming back. He's been out of form not for weeks but YEARS.
I hate to agree because I am a big fan of his, but he’s no longer good enough to play in meaningful games.

He's finished.

I can't believe Levy gave him such a long contract.

I bet the bald idiot is crying. Alli's value has plummeted by about £100 million.

Back
Top Bottom