Combatting racism in football

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The person who manages the Lazio eagle (an employee) who makes the fascist salute: horrible.
I hope to see from you too, from England, voices of indignation denouncing this serious behavior
cb24b22f79d5a9153f667d059576d63a.jpg

The person who manages the Lazio eagle (an employee) who makes the fascist salute: horrible.
I hope to see from you too, from England, voices of indignation denouncing this serious behavior

Filth... No matter what league it takes place in.

Incredible to me that everyone who isn't a young child is totally aware of the history surrounding that salute and what it represents, yet some people can still do it and not feel like they're a worthless, evil piece of shit human being.

Or maybe they do know that and don't care. I hope on some level he knows that he's utter scum.

Incredible to me that everyone who isn't a young child is totally aware of the history surrounding that salute and what it represents, yet some people can still do it and not feel like they're a worthless, evil piece of shit human being.

Or maybe they do know that and don't care. I hope on some level he knows that he's utter scum.
Something that the 21st century has taught me as an American growing up in the 90’s reading very triumphant history of the Free World’s defeat of totalitarianism in the 20th century is that the story was always a bit more complicated than that and I came of age during a time when it was just dormant.

Something that the 21st century has taught me as an American growing up in the 90’s reading very triumphant history of the Free World’s defeat of totalitarianism in the 20th century is that the story was always a bit more complicated than that and I came of age during a time when it was just dormant.

There are no complicated reasons that somebody in 2021 would proudly perform a fascist salute in front of a crowd, other than that person is a piece of shit, deranged or utterly ignorant to what it actually means.

There are no complicated reasons that somebody in 2021 would proudly perform a fascist salute in front of a crowd, other than that person is a piece of shit, deranged or utterly ignorant to what it actually means.
Italians, at least in my experience, tend to have a much more complicated view of Mussolini and all that than, say, Germans and Hitler.

(To be clear fascism is both morally awful and tremendously stupid, all I’m saying is that its bubbling up from the dustbin of history shouldn’t cause some great shock or confusion)

Italians, at least in my experience, tend to have a much more complicated view of Mussolini and all that than, say, Germans and Hitler.

(To be clear fascism is both morally awful and tremendously stupid, all I’m saying is that its bubbling up from the dustbin of history shouldn’t cause some great shock or confusion)

They shouldn't, and if that is true on a wide scale then education is at fault. Italian fascism may have been softer and less outwardly savage than Nazism, but it was still utterly barbaric and handed people over to Germany like cattle.

There's no room for nuance when it comes to fascism, not as far as I'm concerned. To be a proud supporter of the ideology as that man clearly is, you're put firmly in the 'piece of shit human being' pile. Ignorance isn't an excuse these days.

They shouldn't, and if that is true on a wide scale then education is at fault.
I guess this is what I’m getting at. Education isn’t at fault. People, dissatisfied with modernity, are digging through the bones of the past and some of them are deciding the wrong team won WWII.

In America that’s exclusively for white supremacist reasons, in Italy there’s some nationalist currents that exist there as well, it’s all extremely noxious stuff, but explaining to people that these were murderous tyrants isn’t going to dissuade a certain element of the population.

So what do you do? Well, Lazio banning this doofus is a good start, though unfortunately for them the club seems to have a latent appeal for that kind of viewpoint.

I guess this is what I’m getting at. Education isn’t at fault. People, dissatisfied with modernity, are digging through the bones of the past and some of them are deciding the wrong team won WWII.

In America that’s exclusively for white supremacist reasons, in Italy there’s some nationalist currents that exist there as well, it’s all extremely noxious stuff, but explaining to people that these were murderous tyrants isn’t going to dissuade a certain element of the population.

So what do you do? Well, Lazio banning this doofus is a good start, though unfortunately for them the club seems to have a latent appeal for that kind of viewpoint.

Beyond educating people as best you can and making it clear that these sort of views aren't tolerated in society, I don't think there's much to be done. People who are happy to blame large groups of people for their problems, and subsequently dehumanise them, have existed forever.

Those people will always be attracted to these kind of movements. And as you say, most of the time they aren't interesting in educating themselves, there's very little chance of changing a person's view once they've reached the point of proudly doing a fascist salute in public.

Personally I'd take an individual like this to Auschwitz and have them tour it. Then force them to listen to people who were victims of these regimes. The likelihood is they wouldn't give a fuck, but there's at least a small chance some sort of sense and humanity might come to light.

Back
Top Bottom