Vitesse Arnhem v Tottenham Hotspur 17:45 Thurs October 21st

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This defeat was all down to the Manager. Wrong team selection. I understand the wish to beat Spammers Sunday but whilst I do not know Spammers first 11 many first teamers played yesterday. We will look stupid if we do not win Sunday and should not have put that pressure on the first 11.
The team that played Rennes and got a draw was
  • 22Gollini
  • 2Doherty
  • 25Tanganga
  • 14Rodon
  • 33Davies
  • 28NdombeleSubstituted forAlliat 79'minutes
  • 29Skipp
  • 27Lucas MouraSubstituted forScarlettat 54'minutes
  • 11GilBooked at 82mins
  • 23BergwijnSubstituted forHøjbjerg at 30'minutes
  • 10KaneSubstituted forLeite de Souza Juniorat 54'minutes
4 of the first teamers from Newcastle started and 2 more came on as sub but only Skipp played 90 mins.
Even though we got thrashed the following Sunday by Chelsea I cannot see the efforts against Rennes was the problem.
Collectively the 11 that started are not good enough. Some have played in the first 11 and with support of better colleagues play better including Lo Celso. Changing 11 players does not work and never has and there have been numerous times in the past even at our peak a few years ago with similar toothless performances in cup matches. The difference then was we had subs that came on to rectify it but yesterday we did not.
I said at half time that we could have played all night and not score and apart from 2 mins at the start of the 2nd half nothing changed. Having a striker with even Vinny's skills would have made all the difference.
Now to qualify we will need to put out stronger sides in the remaining matches. We must qualify as we need the Co efficient scores and with our trophy record cannot afford to snub a genuine opportunity to win something and if not as top of the group have to play more matches which is worse.
Nuno hopefully has learned that he has to mix some first teamers into the starting 11 and others on the bench. If the Spammers can afford to play first teamers in Europe so can we.

I don't disagree, but seriously:

Some of the seniour playes from those games need to be booted. No excuses.

This defeat was all down to the Manager. Wrong team selection. I understand the wish to beat Spammers Sunday but whilst I do not know Spammers first 11 many first teamers played yesterday. We will look stupid if we do not win Sunday and should not have put that pressure on the first 11.
  • 22Gollini
  • 2Doherty
  • 25Tanganga
  • 14Rodon
  • 33Davies
  • 29Skipp
  • 11GilBooked at 82mins
4 of the first teamers from Newcastle started and 2 more came on as sub but only Skipp played 90 mins.
Even though we got thrashed the following Sunday by Chelsea I cannot see the efforts against Rennes was the problem.
Collectively the 11 that started are not good enough. Some have played in the first 11 and with support of better colleagues play better including Lo Celso. Changing 11 players does not work and never has and there have been numerous times in the past even at our peak a few years ago with similar toothless performances in cup matches. The difference then was we had subs that came on to rectify it but yesterday we did not.
I said at half time that we could have played all night and not score and apart from 2 mins at the start of the 2nd half nothing changed. Having a striker with even Vinny's skills would have made all the difference.
Now to qualify we will need to put out stronger sides in the remaining matches. We must qualify as we need the Co efficient scores and with our trophy record cannot afford to snub a genuine opportunity to win something and if not as top of the group have to play more matches which is worse.
Nuno hopefully has learned that he has to mix some first teamers into the starting 11 and others on the bench. If the Spammers can afford to play first teamers in Europe so can we.
I think one first teamer would have been enough. Moura off the bench on 60 minutes would have killed their defenders.

• 22Gollini
  • 2Doherty
  • 25Tanganga
  • 14Rodon
  • 33Davies
  • 29Skipp
  • 11GilBooked at 82mins

Most of our players travelled to play International football then played 90 mins against Newcastle.
Then Vitesse
Then Spam
Then Burnley
Then Man U

And the Internationals we sent to Holland should be good enough to win !

The manager doesn't choose the schedule but should be able to rely on INTERNATIONAL players to be better than 6th in Eredivise

I think one first teamer would have been enough. Moura off the bench on 60 minutes would have killed their defenders.

I said before the game:

45 mins from PEH or Skipp (a little MF steel) and 45 mins from one of Kane or Son (quality goal threat) from the start would have made a world of difference.

Vitesse really were nothing last night..... We just failed to muster anything to bother them.

Last edited:
Well I don't think it is - these guys like Scarlett and Markanday will just leave if there's no route to the first team.

We could sign another Vinicius, but long term they won't be good enough.....it's just a waste of money and squad place to feel better about beating Vitesse away
Bergy was supposed to be able to play C.F. if needed. No evidence so far.
We should buy an expensive talented C.F. who can ultimately take over from Harry but play alongside him now. We bought Janssen but he wasn't quality !

All away fans should have been refunded. Absolutely disgraceful to serve that up. The women’s team would have been a better watch, even without Alex Morgan.

I said before the game:

45 mins from PEH or Skipp (a little MF steel) and 45 mins from one of Kane or Son (quality goal threat) from the start would have made a world of difference.

Vitesse really were nothing last night..... We just failed to muster anything to bother them.
Spot on but sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture. Best off giving them a proper rest/recovery and perhaps winning the last two home games in this shitfest. Said pre season we shouldn’t take first 11 to away games, different story for home games

I don't want this guy as manager
But if our senior second 11 players can't get up to play a match (and its not the first time they have shown they are not at it) then that has to be down to them
playing scarlett was/is a mistake we have seen it every time he plays he is not ready and its not fair to him or the team

I don't want this guy as manager
But if our senior second 11 players can't get up to play a match (and its not the first time they have shown they are not at it) then that has to be down to them
playing scarlett was/is a mistake we have seen it every time he plays he is not ready and its not fair to him or the team
Especially not as a line striker - at least play him in pair and force Dele to play with his back to goal

Thing is, that end of things ought not to be a consideration. We have 11 players that ought to be committed to forcing their way into the starting XI, yet the most senior players on the night can't embrace the opportunity to do so.

We had £158m vs £5m on the pitch tonight (with no doubt a similarly astronomical wage difference)..... I don't blame, Nuno, history or ENIC(*) for tonight.

(*even the striker issue should have been at most an inconvenience)......

Whether or not one gives a crap about the ECL trophy itself; the shit we saw tonight is a common occurrence and was just as evident in the Europa league last season.
Devils advocate… citeh should never ever lose a game then?

I would have wanted the manager to have put some first teamers into this team, but i can see he may have been making a point to Levy & co, that many of the second 11 need to get shipped out asap

A number of observations:

Could we not gone in for Edwardo who went to CP for £15m?
Could we have used dele as a false 9 rather than bumbling around in the number 10 role
Surely some of our first trainers could have been on the bench. During the international break moura , ndombele , skipp I think, dier didn’t go anywhere so have only played one game since villa. Kane only played 75 mins during internationals. So these have hardly been over played.
Winning the game would have kept the momentum going of winning games and positive attitude / belief. Now it’s a bit doom and gloom with players and manager all being criticised.
Pressure is now on to beat spam as Nuno has really put his eggs in one basket.
Total lack of coaching for the whole squad. Said it before there is no style of play being developed by Nuno. If Viera and the new wolves manager can completely change style and tactics in a few short months from hodgson and Nuno style of play being new to PL surely Nuno could have done much more with our squad. I believe he is a limited coach with no real zeal , passion and tactical nous very one dimensional. Has he shown any real in game management skills? He just lets it all plod on. Christ even v toon with 10 men we let them have a goal. He didn’t once try to inject some fresh faces thus giving some of starting 11 a breather and may be go for 4th or 5th goals. Bad management !

A number of observations:

Could we not gone in for Edwardo who went to CP for £15m?
Could we have used dele as a false 9 rather than bumbling around in the number 10 role
Surely some of our first trainers could have been on the bench. During the international break moura , ndombele , skipp I think, dier didn’t go anywhere so have only played one game since villa. Kane only played 75 mins during internationals. So these have hardly been over played.
Winning the game would have kept the momentum going of winning games and positive attitude / belief. Now it’s a bit doom and gloom with players and manager all being criticised.
Pressure is now on to beat spam as Nuno has really put his eggs in one basket.
Total lack of coaching for the whole squad. Said it before there is no style of play being developed by Nuno. If Viera and the new wolves manager can completely change style and tactics in a few short months from hodgson and Nuno style of play being new to PL surely Nuno could have done much more with our squad. I believe he is a limited coach with no real zeal , passion and tactical nous very one dimensional. Has he shown any real in game management skills? He just lets it all plod on. Christ even v toon with 10 men we let them have a goal. He didn’t once try to inject some fresh faces thus giving some of starting 11 a breather and may be go for 4th or 5th goals. Bad management !
I think Nuno has decided to rest the first XI and keep the same team for all PL matches as much as possible. I imagine his response will be ''not my fault we don't have a proper second striker''.

• 22Gollini
  • 2Doherty
  • 25Tanganga
  • 14Rodon
  • 33Davies
  • 29Skipp
  • 11GilBooked at 82mins
It’s not as binary as saying PLAY THEM IN EUROPE.

I agree we create a blend in home games, but we’ve got a hectic schedule always coming off the back of International travels. Massive difference in home and away games. Even with a local game like Vittesee, players still go a night without sleep. You may scoff, but that absolutely effects their performance on Sunday. No debate

This was the one game where it made sense to flip all 11

Has rusty got a death wish?
I'm still waiting for an explanation rusty

the grinch waiting GIF

Back
Top Bottom