Vitesse Arnhem v Tottenham Hotspur 17:45 Thurs October 21st

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think you misunderstand my point... Vitesse Arnhem ARE a great club.
Apart from the big 3 in Holland, they are up there with the traditional, well supported clubs, with a proud history - Not dissimilar to us you could say - which is why THEM caring about a trophy we seemingly have disdain for makes them a class above us!

If we DARE take this competition seriously, some would have you believe it makes us small time .. but it's good enough for a club with the history and tradition of Vitesse Arnhem... So why not us? Why are WE so above such a competition?

It was a slur on OUR disdain at virtually having to be forced to lower ourselves to participate in this Comp. ...not Vitesse's obvious delight in taking part!
Totally agree, wasn’t accusing you personally of that viewpoint.

The lack of a sense of fun playing these different teams from different leagues when they are obviously proud and worthy opponents is a shitty attitude, IMO.

The Rennes away leg was a great atmosphere too and unlike this a cracking game.

I think you misunderstand my point... Vitesse Arnhem ARE a great club.
Apart from the big 3 in Holland, they are up there with the traditional, well supported clubs, with a proud history - Not dissimilar to us you could say - which is why THEM caring about a trophy we seemingly have disdain for makes them a class above us!

If we DARE take this competition seriously, some would have you believe it makes us small time .. but it's good enough for a club with the history and tradition of Vitesse Arnhem... So why not us? Why are WE so above such a competition?

It was a slur on OUR disdain at virtually having to be forced to lower ourselves to participate in this Comp. ...not Vitesse's obvious delight in taking part!
The fact that Vitese are taking it seriously really is not a stain on our reputation in any way. The history you speak of is just that the past. The demands of the leagues that Vitesse play in are now so different to ours in regards to squad attrition and finance they can no longer be compared.

This tournament is a bogus afterthought by Uefa in a misguided attempt to hoover up what little cash is left. In terms of prestige it is below us and if Vitesse played in the Premier league because of the finances and media it would be below them.

We were champions league finalists under three years ago whatever our historical parallels we are now on a different trajectory to them. I don't like the way the game has gone, but pretending it isn't so is just denial. I'm delighted we are not seriously commiting our first team to this joke tournament we just can't afford to.

Seriously, this could be a major problem. Things like this could destroy his full confidence and this game time isn't helping him or the team. He needs a loan somewhere with more regular time and not so much of a spotlight on him.
Desperately unfair on the kid to be thrown in against grown men, get no service and depend on dross like Winks. Everytime he gets a game it's a hopeless cause.

Bet he can't wait for the next Europa Conference away game. 90 minutes getting kicked about with zero scoring chances.

Who said all our MFs are so shit? Winks and Dele are.

Not you granted, but there's plenty of strong criticism about for each (Skipp excepted, but he's a veritable newbie!).

Gio's absence was in large part due to the South American fiasco/injuries not about his quality.

He's been no more absent than Romero & Emerson, but they're making inroads as starters and they just arrived (this is Gio's 3rd year!).

He is never a right winger and he shouldn't be stuck out there.

Personally I'd agree, but again, there's a perception out there that he can and has in the past; be that here or at other clubs.

Not saying he's been great for us but when you see what he does regularly for Argentina you should want that at Spurs.

Whether I rate Argentina's national team is a different conversation..... It's about whether Gio deserves sympathy on the basis that he gets to moonlight with Messi's mates once in a while.

This is his day-job and he's looking increasingly un-invested.

He offers better ball progression than Skipp and PEH

In theory he does, but if that's the case in actuality why can't he show it a in lesser competition such as the ECL?

......In the meantime he's being outperformed for goals and assists by PEH. The plot thickens.

but is worse defensively.

Perhaps if he was more reliable and consistent and helped us keep the ball better, we could afford to not play with 2 more defensively inclined MFs.

Nuno is going with a solid two sitting for now and it's working but I see Gio getting in there soon enough.

Not on current form he won't; nor will Nuno change our set-up without good cause.

Last edited:
Didn’t watch. And didn’t even remember we had a game until half time. I think that reflects how low my interest in “our” club has gotten. Damming.

Can’t say the reports and result surprise me at all.

Nuno’s “we are gonna make you Proud” statement seems pretty hollow. But if you only have one senior striker and piss poor squad depth what is he meant to do ?

West Ham away looks like another 3-0 job, based on the attitude of the club it won’t matter.

There is absolutely no reason to wet the bed on this. Yes the squad is in a rebuilding phase and this result is not an indication of where we are on the path.

The fact we threw a team together who haven’t played together and left the best 11 at home is an indication of its importance in the scheme of things. If Nuno wanted a result here he would have loaded the sub bench. West Ham is a much more important game.

More investment in the team is needed.

The fact that Vitese are taking it seriously really is not a stain on our reputation in any way. The history you speak of is just that the past. The demands of the leagues that Vitesse play in are now so different to ours in regards to squad attrition and finance they can no longer be compared.

This tournament is a bogus afterthought by Uefa in a misguided attempt to hoover up what little cash is left. In terms of prestige it is below us and if Vitesse played in the Premier league because of the finances and media it would be below them.

Thing is, that end of things ought not to be a consideration. We have 11 players that ought to be committed to forcing their way into the starting XI, yet the most senior players on the night can't embrace the opportunity to do so.

We were champions league finalists under three years ago whatever our historical parallels we are now on a different trajectory to them. I don't like the way the game has gone, but pretending it isn't so is just denial. I'm delighted we are not seriously commiting our first team to this joke tournament we just can't afford to.

We had £158m vs £5m on the pitch tonight (with no doubt a similarly astronomical wage difference)..... I don't blame, Nuno, history or ENIC(*) for tonight.

(*even the striker issue should have been at most an inconvenience)......

Whether or not one gives a crap about the ECL trophy itself; the shit we saw tonight is a common occurrence and was just as evident in the Europa league last season.

Last edited:
Well if Nuno can't motivate players, can't get them to play together, can't improve them or coach them progressively WTF does he do? Have a nice beard? Getting someone better looking or the bearded lady.

Tell me, what does he do to earn his money?
But Nuno should sit the useless cunt down, play that to him and ask WTF was he thinking of

Thing is, that end of things ought not to be a consideration. We have 11 players that ought to be committed to forcing their way into the starting XI, yet the most senior players on the night can't embrace the opportunity to do so.

We had £158m vs £5m on the pitch tonight (with no doubt a similarly astronomical wage difference)..... I don't blame, Nuno, history or ENIC(*) for tonight.

(*even the striker issue should have been at most an inconvenience)......

Whether or not one gives a crap about the ECL trophy itself; the shit we saw tonight is a common occurrence and was just as evident in the Europa league last season.
Nightmare of Royal Antwerp stiĺl remains

Back
Top Bottom