Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

clubannouncement_antonioconte_1.jpg

"I am safe and being treated very well. As proof I am still alive here is a 2021/22 home shirt."

There hasn’t been a manager yet that had forced Levy to step outside his spending model, I don’t see why Conte will be any different. And to a degree, I don’t want him to be, as we don’t spend money particularly well and I don't believe in "big spending" when what you should be doing is "smart spending" when you are a sustainably run club, which is what all bar a couple of clubs are.

I’d much rather have gone for a head coach who is far more reliant on coaching than buying(although I accept Conte can "coach"). And instead upgraded Paratici and the recruitment and scouting apparatus.

The likeliest case scenario is Conte fucks off in 18 months after much acrimony, having “failed “ because “he wasn’t backed” and inherited a bunch of lazy losers, trying to play a deluxe brand of Moyes-esque football because that’s “winning”.

I would much rather we actually took a longer term view, decided on a top to bottom identity as a club that is achievable and fans can buy into, and recruit coaches and players accordingly. Not keep lurching from one big named totem to another, pretending we can compete with oligarchs and oil states, thinking putting Gordon Ramsey in charge of our diner will fool people into thinking we are a Michelin starred restaurant, when there is actually nothing wrong with great diner food when it's done well.
Again, well said, BC. We are coming closer and closer to simpatico my man. It's taken you some years but I can see you are inching toward the inevitable.

when there is actually nothing wrong with great diner food when it's done well.
Lotta fried food...that have something to do with it?

Since Nicola Berti?
No disrespect to Berti, but Conte is in the top tier of his professional role right now. Will he live up to that billing? We'll see. But we've never appointed a manager this prolific who was still "in his prime". Conte is a pretty massive get for Spurs.

Berti was already well on the way down when he was signed. Like Mourinho. Conte is different all together.

I was assuming we would miss out again this year. Hopefully, I was jumping the gun. Still two trophies since 1991 is bad.
Two measly league cups in more than 30 years is shockingly bad. If you’d told me that in the merry spring time of 1991 I wouldn’t have believed it. This feels big now!

5 titles at his last 3 clubs...time to find out if the Spurs chalice is actually fucking poisoned or not.

Hope people give him more of a chance than they seemed to with our last manager with a track record of trophies.

Also hope the continual abuse about the same fucking players dries up until we actually get an idea of what a top class manager thinks of them through his choices.

I almost hope he plays them all and they turn things around just to fucking annoy the posters that do the most gurning.

How does Conte replicate his midfield 3:

Eriksen -- Barella
Brozovic
Until Jan at the earliest Conte will have to make do with his pound shop version.

I think Hojbjerg showed for Denmark that he can be effective in the Barella role if given license to go forward and he's probably got the best engine.

Ndombele is our most naturally creative outlet, though he's not capable of Eriksen- type numbers. That said he's the one I trust most to find the right passes in the attacking 3rd.

Then we get to the deepest position. Skipp for the tenacity and defensive awareness or Lo Celso for the technical quality and passing range.

Ndombele -- Hojbjerg
Lo Celso
Those that refuse to let Dele die have suggest maybe he can do the Barella role and yes he is nothing if not a runner. I have seen too many false dawns to bank on a Dele resurgence however.

If we can get Brozovic in Jan we are cooking.

Back
Top Bottom