Dec '21 COVID Outbreak

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

List them.
I know you weren't addressing it to me, but i just wanted to add this as i was always baffled by this stat when we could never get a penalty against this entitled lot.

Only one penalty awarded to us against Mancheter United since the beginning of the Premier League era. (Not including Cup games).
That's 59 matches, the first one in all that time was awarded last season.
Completely farcical at times. Not sure before then how far this ridiculous record stretched back.

Last edited:
I can't be bothered to keep going back and fourth
FIXED!

Go and look at the many, many articles at the time and since about what happened and why for yourself.
I have, and they really don't help take away the pain, or answer the REAL questions....

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/lasagnegate-tottenham-Woolwich-food-poisoning-24061126
https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/...ich-champions-league-top-four-west-ham-425425
https://talksport.com/football/8844...am-hotel-lasagne-Woolwich-top-four-final-day/

From Dan Kilp's atricle today

At least half-a-dozen players and two members of Antonio Conte’s coaching staff are thought to have returned positive tests this week, disrupting the build-up to Thursday’s Europa Conference League visit of Rennes.
All players concerned are thought to have been double-vaccinated.
"at least" ... "are thought to have" ... some actual information wouldn't hurt.

I have a small hope that this will be a blessing in disguise. More time for Conte to coach the first teamers who are -ve and will report for training as normal, and a chance for the *real* kids to step up and impress the manager in Europe (win or lose) - not the B Team who have already proven they dont have the cojones
Exactly, was thinking the same after Mura - surely the youth team would play better. Now fate seems to have forced our hand.

I know you weren't addressing it to me, but i just wanted to add this as i was always baffled by this stat when we could never get a penalty against this entitled lot.

Only one penalty awarded to us against Mancheter United since the beginning of the Premier League era. (Not including Cup games).
Completely farcical at times. Not sure before then how far this ridiculous record stretched back.

Ok, well from 1992 until probably 2010? We were pretty shit more often than not and United were the dominant force in football.
If we played a team significantly worse than us 50 times, how many times will they get in our box and we make an error/foul that leads to a penalty? It'll hardly happen,
On the other hand, if we're vastly better than them, we're gonna be in their box (ooh err) for most of ever match and they're going to mess up.

This is as much to do with the skewed penalty stats as anything. Better teams get more than bad teams because they get in positions to win them more often.

THAT said, in addition to that, you had a squad of players clearly drilled in the art of applying pressure to the referee, a coach who questioned the ref before the game even started and 75k baying fans.

What this goes back to again though is that refs are the problem, not the league, They don't tell a ref before a game to make these absurd decisions. If they did, they wouldn't have allowed VAR to show them all up even more.

There have been so many down through the years, and I've also forgotten so many.

Just off the top of my head games I was at.

vs. Man Utd
The infamous Mendes incident
string of soft penalties at OT think we had a string of consecutive games where we conceded penalties (the Gomes on Carrick one where Gomes got clear hands on the ball stands out clearly in my mind)
Another one that sits clearly in my mind as it really fucked me off at the time was a soft late penalty at WHL when it looked like we were on the verge of a point an innocuous coming together of Eric Edman and I think Van Nistelrooy? It was a big deal getting a point from Man Utd back then and we were fucking robbed.

vs Liverpool
Late soft penalty where Michael Owen dived under minimal contact and we went down 2-1 late on at Anfield, that was a fun trip back as our car was also keyed and the back windscreen cracked.
Different game at Anfield Tarricho getting sent off for fuck all when we were winning and we ended up going down 3-2 I think.

vs Chelsea
Soft penalty at the lane in a game we were well in, Graham Poll refereeing, minimal contact. Damian Duff scored or won the penalty I forget which.

You could argue the whys and wherefores, with decisions its often subjective and often biased.

I don't think you can argue that down through the years the bigger club get more decisions.

I think there are penalties won tables and such you can find objective data to support this but I really can't be arsed to get into it.
You missed the one where Gomes f'd up and stopped the ball on the line and it was given as the ball crossed the line against Chelsea.

ay_107130668-e1364913867975.jpg

This was given as a goal.

Ok, well from 1992 until probably 2010? We were pretty shit more often than not and United were the dominant force in football.
If we played a team significantly worse than us 50 times, how many times will they get in our box and we make an error/foul that leads to a penalty? It'll hardly happen,
On the other hand, if we're vastly better than them, we're gonna be in their box (ooh err) for most of ever match and they're going to mess up.

This is as much to do with the skewed penalty stats as anything. Better teams get more than bad teams because they get in positions to win them more often.

THAT said, in addition to that, you had a squad of players clearly drilled in the art of applying pressure to the referee, a coach who questioned the ref before the game even started and 75k baying fans.

What this goes back to again though is that refs are the problem, not the league, They don't tell a ref before a game to make these absurd decisions. If they did, they wouldn't have allowed VAR to show them all up even more.
We are the only club in the Premier League to have a yellow card upgraded to a Red.

FUCK ME! Is this true? and that's during the 6-1 when there was NO fans!! that's insane

If Conte can do his press conferences via Zoom, can’t we just play the matches via Zoom too?

It won't be the first time some of our players have 'phoned in' a performance!!

Bah, beat me to it.

We are the only club in the Premier League to have a yellow card upgraded to a Red.

Where are you getting that from? Mason Holgate had one changed to a red against us a few weeks ago, it's happened shit loads of times.

Back
Top Bottom