Tottenham Hotspur VS Rennes. ECL - Thursday Dec 9th 2021 KO 8PM

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Since when has the champions league ignored the rules to allow their favorites free entry?

Man United, Liverpool and Chelsea have all failed to qualify in recent years.

Juve would have failed without the proper result in week 38 last year.

Barca and Juve might both fail to qualify next year.

Sure they might change FUTURE rules to benefit their favorites but they never ignore existing rules because that’s just ridiculous.

I don’t see Barca in the group stages. Surely, they could have just disqualified Benfica instead of forcing Barca to the Europa?
I don't believe this is about actual qualification. I believe it's to do with seeding and prelim qualification rounds.

But we're going round in circles. to get these supposedly valuable points, we have to commit to a farmers league and almost certainly forfeit CL qualification to get them.
So you're advocating working hard, to win coefficient points, for a tournament, we won't be able to qualify for, because we've burnt ourselves out trying to get the points to help us.

Madness.
A year or two of qualifying by coefficient points could help us build the revenue to improve the team and build a team that could eventually challenge… just like we did in the poch era.

Surely you think qualifying for the CL is better than missing Europe entirely?

A year or two of qualifying by coefficient points could help us build the revenue to improve the team and build a team that could eventually challenge… just like we did in the poch era.

Surely you think qualifying for the CL is better than missing Europe entirely?
Poch year 1 - 10 ropey league games, went out at R32 - finished 5th
Poch year 2 - 10 ropey league games, went out at R16 - finished 3rd

He rarely put a strong side out and went out as soon as it got competitive.
We've done that this year and we deserve to go out tbh.

Poch year 1 - 10 ropey league games, went out at R32 - finished 5th
Poch year 2 - 10 ropey league games, went out at R16 - finished 3rd

He rarely put a strong side out and went out as soon as it got competitive.
We've done that this year and we deserve to go out tbh.
I don’t understand what you’re getting at?

The qualification by coefficient rule is new and not in play back then… in fact I’m pretty sure the CL spot from winning the Europa league only was instituted in the early poch years.

I don't believe this is about actual qualification. I believe it's to do with seeding and prelim qualification rounds.
It is about qualification, that's what you're maybe not up to date on. The competition is being changed, purportedly in response to the Super League plans, to offer a back entrance to the CL for the two highest coefficient ranked teams that haven't qualified.

The qualification by coefficient rule is new and not in play back then… in fact I’m pretty sure the CL spot from winning the Europa league only was instituted in the early poch years.
Are you suggesting we could get in the CL with coefficient points rather than league places?
Even if that was a thing, they'd just change the rules to suit whatever their agenda is.
Be just like the loophole that was closed when we finished 4th but didn't get in.
They do what they want when they want.

But we're going round in circles. to get these supposedly valuable points, we have to commit to a farmers league and almost certainly forfeit CL qualification to get them.
So you're advocating working hard, to win coefficient points, for a tournament, we won't be able to qualify for, because we've burnt ourselves out trying to get the points to help us.

Madness.
Personally I'm up for trying to win it as it's a trophy, and nothing more. It's a lot of games but the teams involved are the weakest of all the comps we're involved in.

Last edited:
Are you suggesting we could get in the CL with coefficient points rather than league places?
Even if that was a thing, they'd just change the rules to suit whatever their agenda is.
Be just like the loophole that was closed when we finished 4th but didn't get in.
I see you're in a glass half-full mood

Yes that’s a rule change coming up in 2 years. The top 2 coefficients that did not qualify through league/Europa will qualify by coefficient. Us and Roma would have qualified this year if the rule was effective for this season.

See page 57-58 of this thread. Also, probably the 20th time I’ve posted it in an ECL thread this year.

Personally I'm up for trying to win it as it's a trophy and nothing more. It's a lot of games but the teams involved are the weakest of all the comps we're involved in.
We would have to play the best 11 we have game after game in it. We're only in the mess we are now because we've played a 2nd string too often and suffered the consequences.

Me personally, I can only see bad things happening if we do that. Poor league form and knowing us, blow it at the final.

It was implemented AFTER we started qualifying for CL under Poch.

Yeah, they played their seasons 2014/15 and 2015/16 in the Ernst Happel Stadion (the main stadium the national team plays in) while the new stadium was built on the same ground the old one stood on before. A situation not unlike ours in 2017/18 (and 2016/17 partially).
I thought it felt familiar!!

FWIW, the derby was nuts... Only a third full, but the Rapid end was fucking crazy!

Full on TIFOSI / Ultras... choreography / obligatory topless bloke with a megaphone facing the crowd, rather than the game... everything you HOPE for in a European derby!!

This was it... Found it on YouTube;

I'm in there somewhere!

Last edited:
Celtic have drawn bodo glint they smoked Jose’s mob couple rounds ago 3rd time lucky for Celtic perhaps made an arse of the change league at the start, fucked up the Europa league now they get a crack at the conference league! It’s a joke 3 separate European competitions in one season, 3!!!!

Celtic have drawn bodo glint they smoked Jose’s mob couple rounds ago 3rd time lucky for Celtic perhaps made an arse of the change league at the start, fucked up the Europa league now they get a crack at the conference league! It’s a joke 3 separate European competitions in one season, 3!!!!
If they get knocked out of this do they enter the Strictly Dance Off or the Dancing On Ice Skate Off?

Can we go in to the Summer 2022 transfer market and say to decent players we want "we finished 14th and we're gonna be playing against Carrierbag FC next season because we won the Paint Trophy" and expect them to pick us over teams that finished nearer the top of the table?

It's a pathetic tournament and no one with any aspiration of bigger things is taking it seriously, including most of our squad.

League position will be irrelevant ultimately for players coming - Newcastle (and previously City) will be proof of that. Besides, we aren't finishing 14th lol, we are in touching distance of the top 4 despite how shocking we've been. You really need to destress and stop being dramatic.

Winning the Conference gets you Europa next year, which is no different to finishing 5th or 6th.

It's moot anyway, because we are highly likely to get kicked out unless the extend the window to play.

I'm not sure I agree with you on a lot of this (though you're arguing your corner well) but it's VERY hard to disagree with this point.
We've been awful, but a win against Rennes sees us finish second, ahead of Vitese. Finishing ahead of Vitese in the group isn't worthy of going out if you ask me.

We qualify second but didn't deserve it? Said no-one ever.

Did we deserve to lose the champions league final? Did we deserve to finish 5th that season because of Lasagne?

Why are our supporters revelling in negative scenarios for the club.

Being out of the Europa is better for our preparations for the remainder of the season in terms of fitness, preparation and so on. But it's a competition we should be aiming to win. And a trophy. A completion we should never intend on being in again, but come on. If we get a reprieve we should be winning the prick.

Back
Top Bottom