Lucas Moura

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ridiculous natural ability, his problem has always been in his head. Conte's system makes a lot of decisions for the player and Lucas is really flourishing. Playing in that wide 10 role suits his game so well.

We aren't playing Harry Kane ball where we'd have Lucas play way out wide almost hugging the touch line. Now he's playing much more centrally and sometimes in more advanced positions than Kane.

Our players including Lucas have much more freedom to attack because the gameplan isn't just to create space for Kane and look for him every opportunity we get. They have freedom to move centrally and fly in and out of the box.

His talent/ability was always there, it's just that he didn't suit Harry Kane ball.

Ridiculous natural ability, his problem has always been in his head. Conte's system makes a lot of decisions for the player and Lucas is really flourishing. Playing in that wide 10 role suits his game so well.

Actually think Lucas was showing a bit more about his game in pre season too (under Nuno), getting an assist or 2, creating things with 1 touch passing - and just generally increasing his overall awareness.

Still, I look at the way he lashed at a couple of chances today and wonder how much further his composure could develop aged 29.

I remember him at Sao Paulo thinking how enjoyable it was to watch such a talented player, wondering how his game would develop, honestly thinking he could one day win world player of the year. Got his move to PSG - but the older I get the more I realise that gifted teenagers don't necessarily improve that much and can often look back at players careers thinking their 'high potential' days are actually their peak.

What concerns me most are his goal returns year by year.
(Forget the half season he signed where he barely got a chance)
18/19 = 10 league goals
19/20 = 4 league goals
20/21 = 3 league goals
21/22 = 2 league goals so far.. so hopefully will end this downward trajectory.

I really like the guy, was delighted when we signed him, and am massively biased towards him - so hope his good form continues!

Actually think Lucas was showing a bit more about his game in pre season too (under Nuno), getting an assist or 2, creating things with 1 touch passing - and just generally increasing his overall awareness.

Still, I look at the way he lashed at a couple of chances today and wonder how much further his composure could develop aged 29.

I remember him at Sao Paulo thinking how enjoyable it was to watch such a talented player, wondering how his game would develop, honestly thinking he could one day win world player of the year. Got his move to PSG - but the older I get the more I realise that gifted teenagers don't necessarily improve that much and can often look back at players careers thinking their 'high potential' days are actually their peak.

What concerns me most are his goal returns year by year.
(Forget the half season he signed where he barely got a chance)
18/19 = 10 league goals
19/20 = 4 league goals
20/21 = 3 league goals
21/22 = 2 league goals so far.. so hopefully will end this downward trajectory.

I really like the guy, was delighted when we signed him, and am massively biased towards him - so hope his good form continues!
The 10 league goals in 18/19 came when Kane was out and when we weren't playing Harry Kane ball

Our style of play was much more in line with how we're playing now

When Kane came back, he inevitably got pushed off way out wide near the touch line where he's far far less effective

Now he's back to playing more centrally and in more advanced positions

I know it's unpopular..
but after those huge performances.. it's the right moment to sell him
Season 3 What GIF by On My Block

We aren't playing Harry Kane ball where we'd have Lucas play way out wide almost hugging the touch line. Now he's playing much more centrally and sometimes in more advanced positions than Kane.

Our players including Lucas have much more freedom to attack because the gameplan isn't just to create space for Kane and look for him every opportunity we get. They have freedom to move centrally and fly in and out of the box.

His talent/ability was always there, it's just that he didn't suit Harry Kane ball.
Could you mention harry kane many more times in a post about moura in the moura thread??

No, he’s more central because we are using wing backs now. You are so biased that you attribute every positive or negative change to any player as an excuse to criticize Kane. Pathetic.

No, he’s more central because we are using wing backs now. You are so biased that you attribute every positive or negative change to any player as an excuse to criticize Kane. Pathetic.
Criticizing Harry Kane ball is not criticizing Kane - it's criticizing the tactic of playing Harry Kane ball

I have criticized this tactic for many many months now

Using wingbacks and putting players (Son / Moura etc) more centrally allows them to be in more threatening/advanced positions and also allows them to raid the opponent's box at a much higher rate.

When we played Harry Kane ball with the objective being to get Kane time/space and ultimately as many shots for him as possible, players like Moura were rarely in positions to score.

In 6 of the 9 games we've played under Conte, Harry has taken 2 shots or less. But we've been winning and our other players, particularly Lucas, are playing off the charts. You can't expect a player to succeed when they're not in a position to thrive.

Back
Top Bottom