Lucas Moura

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In fairness moura getting a massive run at it and the defender backpedaling it doesnt matter how tall you are
angry half baked GIF

I'll allow you cause it's Christmas so the real question here is how many units have you drunk?
that's for sure LOL
but..seriously
29 years.. discontinuity has been his main skill over the years..
with conte he's having good performances, but many other players would do the same or better with conte
I would consider good offers for him (>35M) and use that money for another number 10 with a future, like lautaro martinez

I know it's unpopular..
but after those huge performances.. it's the right moment to sell him

Not in the January but in the summer I think I'd be totally up for it.
Let's not forget he himself recently said that when he came from Brazil to Europe, he intended to stay for 10 years and go back. This has not changed. 10 years runs up in 2023 summer, his contract with Spurs is until summer 2024.

Also he will be 30 by next season, so hardly too many years left in him.

Of course I wouldn't be opposed him staying for longer if he can in fact prove that he can keep such performance levels up in extended period of time. Yesterday he was our man of the match. And he has been one of the best players in recent month or so. I like if Spurs players do well and deliver!

Actually think Lucas was showing a bit more about his game in pre season too (under Nuno), getting an assist or 2, creating things with 1 touch passing - and just generally increasing his overall awareness.

Still, I look at the way he lashed at a couple of chances today and wonder how much further his composure could develop aged 29.

I remember him at Sao Paulo thinking how enjoyable it was to watch such a talented player, wondering how his game would develop, honestly thinking he could one day win world player of the year. Got his move to PSG - but the older I get the more I realise that gifted teenagers don't necessarily improve that much and can often look back at players careers thinking their 'high potential' days are actually their peak.

What concerns me most are his goal returns year by year.
(Forget the half season he signed where he barely got a chance)
18/19 = 10 league goals
19/20 = 4 league goals
20/21 = 3 league goals
21/22 = 2 league goals so far.. so hopefully will end this downward trajectory.

I really like the guy, was delighted when we signed him, and am massively biased towards him - so hope his good form continues!

Exactly this!

You just pointed out league goals, but after his first full season with us, he has not hit double figures even across all competitions.
And as you pointed out, the composure element is still somewhat lacking, though it seems to have improved.

I am happy he is doing well, I very much hope that he could put in games like this on regular basis. In this case the need for 3rd attacking player to contribute (on top of Kane and Son) would not be so urgent. But I am bit sceptical how sustainable such run is.

Though once more - he has been very good recently and he 100% deserves a spot in starting XI. Well done Lucas and keep this up!

Criticizing Harry Kane ball is not criticizing Kane - it's criticizing the tactic of playing Harry Kane ball

I have criticized this tactic for many many months now

Using wingbacks and putting players (Son / Moura etc) more centrally allows them to be in more threatening/advanced positions and also allows them to raid the opponent's box at a much higher rate.

When we played Harry Kane ball with the objective being to get Kane time/space and ultimately as many shots for him as possible, players like Moura were rarely in positions to score.

In 6 of the 9 games we've played under Conte, Harry has taken 2 shots or less. But we've been winning and our other players, particularly Lucas, are playing off the charts. You can't expect a player to succeed when they're not in a position to thrive.
Then you should call it Jose/Nuno ball because it was emblematic of coaches with zero attacking ideas. In fact it's starball because AVB played it with Bale and for two years Barca with Messi. It's basically "Errr...I dunno give it Harry/Gareth/Lionel"

Surely lucas deserves a chant

Though it is from one specific game, I think it is remarkable enough to use the classics on regular basis as well..

"When the ball hits the net
and the duch are upset
it's a-Moura

When you're 6 foot and 4
he'll out jump you and score
it's a-Mouraaa!"

How about such combination; otherwise it would be too short (no pun intended to Moura :D )

Moura has played this well under all of our managers. I’m glad he’s getting some recognition now, but this “because of Conte” stuff just isn’t really true for him.

He’s not Dier or Sanchez, and despite his faults is probably our most consistent player over the last three years.
He is what he is, and is usually at his level.

You don’t get massive peaks and lulls with Moura, just 100% effort and 50/50 whether it comes off or not, he’s always been this player for us.
Thankfully it seems like we have a manager who would never, ever do what we did after Ajax

I’ve been a critic of Moura for a long time but he’s going through a purple patch right now. Not sure if it’s the bounce from a new manager or does the new system suit him but regardless, he needs to keep it up for the rest of the season. Much easier to break down teams if we have a goal/assist threat coming from three, instead of two of our forwards. Lovely chap as well

I feel sorry for you if you’re a Spurs fan and you can’t rate Moura. Loves the club more than any other player, delighted that he’s now in a system where he can be more productive.
He's the kind of cult player that you accept and adore, flaws and all.

If you are hoping or rooting for one of our players to fail then you are just not a fan. Extreme situations like when Kane downed tools non withstanding. But now that he is back in the fold he is once again a player that we should all root for.

Lucas is a faithful servant of the club and will be remembered incredibly fondly once he no longer plays for us.

No, he’s more central because we are using wing backs now. You are so biased that you attribute every positive or negative change to any player as an excuse to criticize Kane. Pathetic.
We were using wingbacks before, too. That's not the critical change. What has changed is that for the first time in 3(?) seasons, our players look like they're receiving and responding to coaching instructions.

Mourinho and Nuno didn't have the players practicing or studying attacking movements, for one thing.

Back
Top Bottom