Southampton Vs Tottenham - 28th Dec - 3pm KO (Live On Amazon Prime)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What really struck me today, as it has for quite some time, is how shockingly technically poor the majority of our players are.
Simple passes, basic first touches, free shots/crosses are constantly fucked up time and time again. Added to that we literally have no one who can take a set piece.

It’s a big reason why the only time we have really looked good the last few years is when we are playing on the back foot and counter attacking at pace. When the onus is on us to actually get on the ball and play, we can’t.

Players like Hojbjerg, Winks, Skipp, Emerson, Reguillon even Son, as much as I love him, are all very poor technically.
A really serious clean out of the team is a must, particularly in midfield.

FHtcEGaXIAsdDVW

Foster wasn't fouled too....

Bent as fuck.

We should really be bringing this up. It’s unbelievable. Who was the VAR today?

What really struck me today, as it has for quite some time, is how shockingly technically poor the majority of our players are.
Simple passes, basic first touches, free shots/crosses are constantly fucked up time and time again. Added to that we literally have no one who can take a set piece.

It’s a big reason why the only time we have really looked good the last few years is when we are playing on the back foot and counter attacking at pace. When the onus is on us to actually get on the ball and play, we can’t.

Players like Hojbjerg, Winks, Skipp, Emerson, Reguillon even Son, as much as I love him, are all very poor technically.
A really serious clean out of the team is a must, particularly in midfield.
In general I get the sentiment but I think today a lot of the poor touches might be because a lot of them played 48 hours ago. Muscle fatigue can cause otherwise technical players to be a lot more sloppy on the ball. When you're well rested physically and mentally, you take better touches.

I'm not saying we have the most technically gifted squad in the league, but today was below our normal level of technical ability and I think fatigue is potentially why.

Did you watch the game? Kane did score a brilliant 'real' goal.
VAR decided that the top of his left arm was offside by the width of a gnats foreskin.
Sure, but it ultimately didn't count. I'd like our much touted 'world class' player to score a deciding one that actually counts. That said, we still walk away with only 1 point against 10 men, mid-table Soton. Surely we'd expect out big players to be more decisive in contests like this...especially a player that wanted to leave us because we are no longer a champions league club. And much of that blame can be placed at his feet. He's paid well to do just that.

Totally agree! Ok some posters might give people with this view pellets. However Conte is not above criticism. Ok we don’t have the best players but then don’t compound it by playing square pegs on round holes eg Doh at LWB who is crap at ten. Then bring on Gil at ten who may be did one or two things but generally lost the ball.
Why oh why do we need to keep playing 5 at the back when we have shite WBs? Especially v 10 men. We need to get round the back so play back 4 with wide players in front for over lap. I though Lucas and Kane basically disappeared in last 20
Mins. Offered nothing. Conte has got to be more flexible. Also does he think the 2 in CM done anything in the whole 90 mins to keep both on? Winks was ok but PEH should have been subbed with tanguy. Like I said the Doh sun was a complete waste. Just go to back 4 with davies out left and royal on right. Bring extra man in CM. The subs today should have been dele > Lucas, Reg > skipp and PEH > tanguy. Play 4 3 3.
Such a disappointment. We now have to beat Watford after spam
Beat them 4-1. No more bloody excuses from posters about this that and the other. Ffs let’s take a game by the scruff of the next , impose ourselves and go for it. Too many games we are just so slow, no real
Press and we twaddle about with the ball. Strange soton go down to 10 men it still keep shape and basically keep us at arms length. Whereas we can’t do the same with 11. Basically the first half where they completely out played us and played in our half.
I thought conte would instill some fire in our team so they go out on the front foot? To much sitting back hoping for a counter. Tbh this is not different from Jose’s initial start.
Subs weren’t great but…

We don’t have a 2nd fit LB (perhaps bring Davies out and put Japhet in for Reggie as CB); the Saints box was absolutely rammed with their 10 behind the ball - as it was with Lucas - needed movement out wide. Putting Tanguy in would have just been another central layer running into no space - I’m guessing Conte really really doesn’t rate him if Dele is getting a game as RCM ahead of him?

We play better 11v11. We can’t break down a low block to save our life. Surprised we didn’t see N’dombele today. Thought that’s what we needed in the second half.

Back
Top Bottom