Southampton Vs Tottenham - 28th Dec - 3pm KO (Live On Amazon Prime)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There was more contact between Doherty and Forster than either tackle Salisu got booked for, and they were both correct.

I don't agree with there being more contact, but, hypothetically speaking, if there was more contact, then the difference is that it wasn't unfair contact. Football is a contact sport. The only time contact is deemed unfair is when it has prevented a player from continuing the move, usually deliberate. In this case, the keeper jumped into Doherty's back. Doherty has done absolutely nothing. He didn't even commit to the jump. The keeper, under no pressure from Doherty failed to catch the ball, dropped it, then kicked it in his own net. How neither the bent ref nor the bent cunts in the VAR box felt the need to really take a long hard look at that is beyond me. The fact they didn't tells me all I need to know - they were looking for chances to disallow goals.

Offsides in general are clear and obvious. They draw the two lines and then its clear if its offside or not because we can see the two lines. Just like goalline technology, even the smallest fraction of the ball is still on the line , its clear and obvious that the ball hasnt crossed.

You cant do that with a foul which might be determined if someone used enough force to push someone . You cant measure that , so those kind of decisions are not clear and obvious.

Offside isn't yes or no Especially with replays being used. In this case, we can't even see what part of Kane they're claiming is offside. Worse still, is there is no way they can free the frame on the video at the exact point that the ball was kicked. They just can't do it. So when a player is millimetres on or offside, there's too much room for error as to when the ball was kicked to say for sure either way.
In those cases, you HAVE to default to the eyes on the ground and call it as it was. This should take as long as it takes for the keeper to pick the ball out of the net.

I think out of those only Stambouli and Janssen were worse.

I don't think Stambouli was given much of a chance.

Janssen was a massive disappointment, but another player that wasn't handled particularly well (admittedly he didn't help himself either when refusing the loan to Brighton).

I think you could make a fair defense for everyone on that list.

For an EPL proven player who was hand-picked by the manager as his previous team's "biggest threat"; Doherty is simply a shadow of what was rightfully expected of him.

What SHOULD happen, is that no lines are drawn.
Without the lines, Kane looks onside. Give the goal. That's how it should work. Cursory 5 second glance. The grass stripes should be the only reference point.
Look at the still imagine, without the red and blue lines, and look at the players relative to the stripes. Looks onside.

I agree, we are using this computerised trigonometry shit for offside when no human linesman down on the grass could ever see that 0.5cm of Kane's shirt is slightly beyond the line. The tech should be used to assist the on-field officials in making decisions not absolve them from making decisions at all.

Offside should be the same as everything else with VAR, was it a clear and obvious error? Don't use these made up lines where somebody guesses where a striker's shoulder begins and draws a line down. Just show the image as it is and let the referee decide whether the linesman has made a clear and obvious error.

I don't think anyone in the world of football would look at that goal and say that the linesman has made a clear and obvious error in not flagging for offside. They should be looking to stick with the on-field decision as much as possible not letting a computer tell them what to do. The linesman is the one who should be relied on for offside decisions and only when an attacking team has scored from a clear and obvious error should he be overruled by VAR (via the referee).

The annoying thing is these people are not called to task to explain their decision making and just continue getting paid to make inept calls

It'll never happen, but wouldn't it be good if VAR was manned by refs from different leagues so that there was no mates protecting each other's rep.

Last edited:
I don't think it's corruption. I think they're just shit at making consistent decisions. Technically they're meant to give the advantage to the attacker now, but this looked like they were working from last season's rules.
There's no corruption. However, there's massive incompetence.

There was more contact between Doherty and Forster than either tackle Salisu got booked for, and they were both correct.
What’s your point? There’s more contact on most contested headers than other tripping plays that are fouls.

Doherty didn’t initiate the contact… both players did. Both jumped at an angle. Forster didn’t have control of the ball before the contact. With most fairly contested crosses the keeper either has to punch it away or catch it high. Forster fucked up and tried to catch it low and was saved by a ref guessing and VAR sleeping.

Offside isn't yes or no Especially with replays being used. In this case, we can't even see what part of Kane they're claiming is offside. Worse still, is there is no way they can free the frame on the video at the exact point that the ball was kicked. They just can't do it. So when a player is millimetres on or offside, there's too much room for error as to when the ball was kicked to say for sure either way.
In those cases, you HAVE to default to the eyes on the ground and call it as it was. This should take as long as it takes for the keeper to pick the ball out of the net.
While you might feel like it, the offside is a yes or no thing. Either someone is offside or not. It all depends on how happy everyone is with bad offside calls from linesmen. Would we all be okay again if linesmen get them wrong (which they used to consistently) and just shrug our shoulders.

At the end of almost every game there used to be managers /fans from the losing side complaining about refs and linesmen. That has reduced quite a bit. If anything now the complaint is about a milimeter offside or not call.

Main problem is how long it takes that players cant even celebrate goals properly.

At the moment we are always going to struggle to break down teams who get players behind the ball because you need that player who can spot and deliver that splitting pass and the only one in the squad who can do this can’t be arsed with all the other necessities required to play PL football. Over to you Mr Levy.

While you might feel like it, the offside is a yes or no thing. Either someone is offside or not. It all depends on how happy everyone is with bad offside calls from linesmen. Would we all be okay again if linesmen get them wrong (which they used to consistently) and just shrug our shoulders.

At the end of almost every game there used to be managers /fans from the losing side complaining about refs and linesmen. That has reduced quite a bit. If anything now the complaint is about a milimeter offside or not call.

Main problem is how long it takes that players cant even celebrate goals properly.
No, it's not. Because of the exact reasons I stated. They cannot prove that any part of Harry Kane was offside at the exact moment the ball was kicked. It's not about whether or not a hand is offside, it's about the inability to prove whether it was, accurately. It cannot be done. They need to be recording this stuff in mega high frame rates, 120fps+ with a resolution so high that they can see the passers toe at the exact moment that it makes contact with the ball. Then they need a way of showing, conclusively from multiple angles, that a part of a player is offside.
On top of all that, they need to make their mind up what the rule is and stick to it. It was stated THIS season that these wouldn't be given offside anymore. And initially they weren't. But gradually they have crept back in again.

Back
Top Bottom