Other Team Transfers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Wood and Trippier were never at Burnley at the same time. Trips joined us in 2015 and Wood joined Burnley in 2017.

Are you perhaps thinking of Ashley Barnes? I think that Trips pinged a fair few crosses to him at Turf Moor.
Ahh, cheers mate yes I had got the two of them mixed up (they had an old school relationship in the Cahmpionship). In any event, I think the plan would be the same, Tripps isn't a possession team player, it's hoof-ball with him (no building from the back that's for sure), get him up the wing and have him deliver a hefty volume of crosses to an old fashioned number 9 to head into the goal (set-pieces too).

That's because our recruitment is a mess and we tend to sign the wrong players. For instance Bergwijn over the much more talented and physically more suited Bowen. He was fantastic in the Championship and obviously ready for a big step up.
The biggest issue affecting transfers has been player profile. We went from possession football to low-block counter-attacking. Two polar opposite styles.

Our fix would be to ensure that our recruit reflects the profile of players required to execute the style of play of the manager. Flip-flopping between managers with opposing ways to play has completely fucked us. (doesn't mean all new requirements would have succeeded but would have ensured that some would have performed better and maybe blossomed as the system got the best out of their individual attributes.

This is such a clever signing (not a player I would rate or want at Spurs).
1. They have a brilliant ball progressor is Saint Maximum, who unlike Traore has an end product (can keep the ball whilst others join the attack, can pick out passes and can score), with Wood they now have a threat from the air (unlike Wilson, so they have different options).
2. Reuniting him with Frodo where at Burnley he just lobbed in cross after cross after cross for him and some of that shit stuck.
2. He'll improve their set-piece (attacking and defensive where I think they are the league's worst)
3. They have severely weekend a relegation rival, especially as it looks as they've literally nabbed him against their wishes not allowing Burnley to have a replacement lined up.
4. If they do go down, he's a player that isn't going to fuck off.

I said before, Wood would have been a perfect back-up and alternative to Kane. He's a good player, not great, but also has a super attitude. Either we sell Kane and bring in a top quality replacement or we need to find someone good enough to still offer something when Kane is out or given a rest, but won't be too upset not to be starting every game.

Looking at his stats, Wood has a better record than I was aware of. Average around a goal every three games for plodders like Burnley is more than decent, while has also has close to a goal every other game for New Zealand. Seems to look after himself too so isn't such a big deal that he's now the wrong side of 30. Solid signing for the Geordies.

I said before, Wood would have been a perfect back-up and alternative to Kane. He's a good player, not great, but also has a super attitude. Either we sell Kane and bring in a top quality replacement or we need to find someone good enough to still offer something when Kane is out or given a rest, but won't be too upset not to be starting every game.

Sell Kane + bringing in a replacement = no back-up still.

I don't get your point here.

I can't agree, he's NOT a backup to Kane as he doesn't do anything that Kane does.

Basically, we shouldn't need to change our style of play (we haven't fully developed one yet under Conte) to accommodate a backup for a position. We should be looking for someone that
a) enables us to play the same way
b) that pushes/challenges Kane

It hasn't worked out with Janssen or Vinícius for these reasons. We didn't look great when we had Llorente, a better player than both the two I've mentioned but we became a route one team, hoofing the ball up to him, if he was truly any good he would have got far more mins than he every achieved at Spurs. It's great that we all have fond memories of him in our CL run but that style of football will not see us progressing as a team.

Kane has to feel under pressure for his place, maybe Conte has plans to get a younger more mobile CF, that can play with Kane, have him permanently drop deeper into the 10 hole and have a younger, higher- presser and someone who has the ability to run behind defences as a solution???? But having an old fashioned number 9 we hoof balls to in my eyes will do fuck all to improving the squad.

(as soon as Newcastle are free of a relegation scrapping club they'll ditch a Wood style CF faster than you can shake a stick at him).

Sell Kane + bringing in a replacement = no back-up still.

I don't get your point here.

My point is, I can't see us spending massive money for someone to play alongside Kane and Son. We'll only spend that kind of money if we sold Kane and replaced him. But surely we are in a position where we can sign another option up top, someone that isn't going to cost too much but will strengthen the squad and fill in for Harry. Someone like Wood, basically.

My point is, I can't see us spending massive money for someone to play alongside Kane and Son. We'll only spend that kind of money if we sold Kane and replaced him. But surely we are in a position where we can sign another option up top, someone that isn't going to cost too much but will strengthen the squad and fill in for Harry. Someone like Wood, basically.

Gotcha.....

Err, what?
He crosses the ball some x3 more often than most FB's yet doesn't get the same level of assists or chance creation, his delivery is a fucking myth as a direct consequence of this. He's like Cresswell now for West Ham, s super high volume of crosses results in assists for Antonio or whoever as some of those come off. BUT the % that do is way, way, way down of other FB's/WB's/Wingers because he's not that great. It's why I'd have him in my fantasy team (as I have numerous times and Cresswell too) fantasy football only scores the assist, doesn't give a shit that he got it from his 20th cross of the game!!! (in fact for Spurs I believe he didn't get more than 2 assists from crosses in a season, the others were made up from throw-ins and through balls (the only thing I really liked about him was his ability to play the odd through ball around the corner of the defensive line, he didn't do this enough IMO).

I could go on about from where he crosses from too, usually very deep (40yrs out from goal at least), so very early, this was a massive issue for us as it meant we lost the ball almost every time he did it and would mean we were sitting ducks for counterattacks as he and forwards were now out of position high up the pitch.

He crosses the ball some x3 more often than most FB's yet doesn't get the same level of assists or chance creation, his delivery is a fucking myth as a direct consequence of this. He's like Cresswell now for West Ham, s super high volume of crosses results in assists for Antonio or whoever as some of those come off. BUT the % that do is way, way, way down of other FB's/WB's/Wingers because he's not that great. It's why I'd have him in my fantasy team (as I have numerous times and Cresswell too) fantasy football only scores the assist, doesn't give a shit that he got it from his 20th cross of the game!!! (in fact for Spurs I believe he didn't get more than 2 assists from crosses in a season, the others were made up from throw-ins and through balls (the only thing I really liked about him was his ability to play the odd through ball around the corner of the defensive line, he didn't do this enough IMO).

I could go on about from where he crosses from too, usually very deep (40yrs out from goal at least), so very early, this was a massive issue for us as it meant we lost the ball almost every time he did it and would mean we were sitting ducks for counterattacks as he and forwards were now out of position high up the pitch.

He's not Alexander-Arnold but his crossing is more than decent, as are his set-pieces.

Looking at his stats, Wood has a better record than I was aware of. Average around a goal every three games for plodders like Burnley is more than decent, while has also has close to a goal every other game for New Zealand. Seems to look after himself too so isn't such a big deal that he's now the wrong side of 30. Solid signing for the Geordies.
I know the age profile isn't really what we're looking for but I would have liked him at Spurs.

It's a very solid deal and he would have been a nice rotation option for us.

We're, of course, going to claim we were after some 60 million euro youngster but we ended up "just missing out." Give me Wood over that any day.

Guido, you gotta stop peddling this nonsense mate. He's not the strongest all rounder, not brilliant defensively, physical limitations. but this notion that he creates fuck all and just humps lots of aimless shit has never been true.

In his last two full seasons at AM, Trippier's XA90 was 19/20 (0.22) and 20/21 (0.14). For Comparison TAA was 19/20 (0.32) 20/21 (0.25). Walker 19/20 (0.07) and 20/21 (0.02). Cancello 21/22 (0.17). Hakimi 19/20 (0.18) 20/21 (0.22). Pavard 19/20 (0.11) 20/21 (0.07)

So in terms of creative quantity and quality metric, comparing him to those generally playing RB for very top European sides (and I've chucked in Cancelo's this year too), he compares very favourably in terms of what he actually creates.

I can't agree, he's NOT a backup to Kane as he doesn't do anything that Kane does.

Basically, we shouldn't need to change our style of play (we haven't fully developed one yet under Conte) to accommodate a backup for a position. We should be looking for someone that
a) enables us to play the same way
b) that pushes/challenges Kane

It hasn't worked out with Janssen or Vinícius for these reasons. We didn't look great when we had Llorente, a better player than both the two I've mentioned but we became a route one team, hoofing the ball up to him, if he was truly any good he would have got far more mins than he every achieved at Spurs. It's great that we all have fond memories of him in our CL run but that style of football will not see us progressing as a team.

Kane has to feel under pressure for his place, maybe Conte has plans to get a younger more mobile CF, that can play with Kane, have him permanently drop deeper into the 10 hole and have a younger, higher- presser and someone who has the ability to run behind defences as a solution???? But having an old fashioned number 9 we hoof balls to in my eyes will do fuck all to improving the squad.

(as soon as Newcastle are free of a relegation scrapping club they'll ditch a Wood style CF faster than you can shake a stick at him).
I tend to disagree with this. Attackers should be different not the same mould. Having the option of pinging crosses in to chase games or bringing a big man on to defend set pieces is not to be sniffed at. Also since Poch we have become very long ball focused and don’t play through the midfield. I wouldn’t want to start games with a Wood type but would be good for a plan B, just like I think we should have wing backs and full backs for different approaches

Guido, you gotta stop peddling this nonsense mate. He's not the strongest all rounder, not brilliant defensively, physical limitations. but this notion that he creates fuck all and just humps lots of aimless shit has never been true.

In his last two full seasons at AM, Trippier's XA90 was 19/20 (0.22) and 20/21 (0.14). For Comparison TAA was 19/20 (0.32) 20/21 (0.25). Walker 19/20 (0.07) and 20/21 (0.02). Cancello 21/22 (0.17). Hakimi 19/20 (0.18) 20/21 (0.22). Pavard 19/20 (0.11) 20/21 (0.07)

So in terms of creative quantity and quality metric, comparing him to those generally playing RB for very top European sides (and I've chucked in Cancelo's this year too), he compares very favourably in terms of what he actually creates.
Because he was lumping in aimless ball after aimless ball into the box! Walker is usually the last man when playing for City, his role is to cover the ball over the top of their highline, he's not relied largely on attacking phases (Pep does mix this up a bit but when Walker is asked to join attacks he dose this through the middle, not from out wide and therefore HE DOESN'T find himself out wide in crossing positions, he's in midfield). Emerson is currently pissing all over Cancello's stats!!!

He didn't fit our style, Poch is a possession manager, he builds attacks from playing out from the back. Tripps can't do this, it's one of the biggest reasons that made us shit (not a sole reason).

When he crossed we lost possession of the ball and were counter-attacked repeatedly with players out of position up the pitch.

He disrupted the balance of the team, simply unable to do all the things that Poch wanted, it's why he was literally the first out of the door when Poch got the chance.

I'm glad you've now come around to the notion that he can't defend, something that you repeated said in the past that he could. He was so shit he was constantly targeted and probed as our weak link, didn't have the recovery to get back when a ball played behind him, and if he was in defensive positions he was usually dribbled past whilst holding his face, rolling around on the grass whilst the oppo was scoring goals for fun.

The only team he's looked comfortable playing in has been England. Slow, passive England before they upgraded to more athletic powerful and dominant FB's that we have now.

If we go 352 then we would need a Klinsmann to go with Kane's Sheringham.

I tend to disagree with this. Attackers should be different not the same mould. Having the option of pinging crosses in to chase games or bringing a big man on to defend set pieces is not to be sniffed at. Also since Poch we have become very long ball focused and don’t play through the midfield. I wouldn’t want to start games with a Wood type but would be good for a plan B, just like I think we should have wing backs and full backs for different approaches
That's what we had with Llorente, did it work? No.

I'd rather have a good enough striker that would threaten Kane's position in the team and require him to raise his level as a response.

I want a good enough striker that can come into the team on a regular basis, on rotation with Kane to keep him fresh and/or as above challenge his position. Having an old school target route one man will mean to accommodate him we would have to change our way of playing. Like all of the best managers in the World Conte doesn't really do this, they play their way regardless of who the personnel is (they are all stubborn).

I want us to have won most games by the 70th min, with us managing the game by then. If we are chasing the game in the last 20 and our only route has become a desperate hoof into the box then we are fucked. City, Liverpool & Bayern don't play this way because they trust their plan A will deliver with the players they have. When they make late subs they don't change how they play, they continue with plan A because this is what is winning them games at a ridiculous pace.

City, Liverpool and Bayern don't have backups for their CF's. They just have fantastic quality attackers that allow them to continue to play the way they do. (We did this under peak Poch when Kane was out, played the same and continued to score and win games when he was out, we didn't really miss a beat).

To have a quality CF/Attacker to push and/or compliment Kane is who we should be going after IMO. Conte had Martinez AND Lukaku for example both able to cover one or the other if injured, both often played and complimented each other when played together, both providing each other the competition. A good example is he also brought Alexis Sanchez, that old clogger from the disastrous spell at Utd (he wasn't great at Woolwich in his last couple of seasons there too), but rather than he be the classic plan B striker, when brought into the team Inter played the same.

I think route one Plan B lumping it up the pitch in desperation is not what the elite teams do, if this is what we are building towards then why would we entertain doing anything other.

Back
Top Bottom