Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I know I called him a cunt (which on the face of it WAS a bit harsh, and merely born out of frustration with his form over the last couple of years so apologies for that), but it is really weird seeing him at Everton.

I hope he can rediscover form to reignite his career. Just not against us or to our detriment!

I'll certainly pay more attention to Everton highlights on match of the day.

He had it all...but now he doesn't. Well he still has a load of grown men behaving as if their dog died so there's that...

I hope he manages to find his way back because football is a colder place without players like him.
Well football is an emotional game!!!
I'll miss the 2016-19 Dele like an old favourite jumper that I now have to give away to Charity...
But in the last few years, the holes were beginning to show, and the musty smell was too much to ignore!

I know I called him a cunt (which on the face of it WAS a bit harsh, and merely born out of frustration with his form over the last couple of years so apologies for that), but it is really weird seeing him at Everton.

I hope he can rediscover form to reignite his career. Just not against us or to our detriment!

I'll certainly pay more attention to Everton highlights on match of the day.
Three of my mates are staunch Evertonians, so I'll be sure to keep abreast of all things 'Toffee' with them!

Just realised, we're playing them the beginning of March ain't we...?
That'll be fun!

bus-conductor bus-conductor you were right. Such an odd way to structure the deal.
Even the whole getting paid 10mil this year if he plays 20 games, when there are only 18 left to play.
Wonder if it was Spurs just trying to get it done at near all costs.
It's simply to get around FFP, Everton can't spend a bean but by purposely saying 20 games it means it would be into next season before the first payment is due and Everton will be allowed to spend by then. It suits all parties, Everton get a player without having to pay anything up front, Dele gets his change of scenery and we get rid of a player that doesn't play

I can actually see him doing well under Frank. Gotta lot to learn from him and by being the shiny new thing he will flourish.

Just wasn't going to happen with us, a combination of him being disenfranchised and distracted by other things were terminal.

All things considered it's a good deal for everyone, had dragged on way too long...

Best of luck at Everton, Dele.

It was just time for both parties to move on. I think that a change of environment will help him find his form again.

Evertonian in peace here!

Hi guys. Before I go any further, after reading the comments I just wanted to say how refreshing it is to see such a good, activite forum where people seem so genuine - I've been on plenty forums and this one definitely stands out. There are countless comments wishing Dele all the best which makes me sad on your part for you losing a player so close to your hearts, despite his form over the past few years.

I just wanted to ask a couple of questions about Dele and get the opinion of some of the fans on here.

Dele had a quite unbelievable few years when he broke on the scene. His returns indicated he was about to be the next best thing. At what stage and why do people think his decline happened?

I know Dele has been implemented as a number 10 for the most part at Spurs, but has he ever been played as more of an 8, or in the wider positions? Also, I'm expecting more of a 'shadow striker' than a creator, but how capable is he at playing those intricate passes and playing in those half spaces linking play?

Finally his attitude. I see some people questioned his attitude off the pitch, suggesting he's a bit of a jack the lad. Do people know if he trains hard and does be work hard when on the pitch?

Thanks in advance Spurs fans, and I wish you all the best for the remainder of the season (except when you play us!).

You’ve mentioned something interesting there. I feel like it’s genuinely been years since the Dele/Dier friendship has been discussed or hyped up.

Dier seems like kind of a unique character for a footballer. Apparently somewhat bookish, really interested and talented in speaking different languages, and has a lot of interests outside of football. Seems like Dier now hangs out with the older and more mature and settled with a family types at the club like Kane and Doherty. He was on vacation last summer with Vertonghen. Whereas Dele seems to be a cliche of a footballer, spends a lot in Dubai and the like with chavvy characters like James Maddison and Ben Chilwell.

I reckon the seeming decline in his friendship with Dier, not that they have beef or anything, probably says something about his career decline. It just seems to me like he’s fallen out of love with football, would love to see him playing with joy again.

It’s easy to understand though, I know if at age 19 or 20 I became a nationally adored millionaire I might have let my commitment slip.
Didn't I read somewhere on here that they're still good mate's but they got annoyed by the bromance attention it got so shyed away from that aspect?

Him and Dier do seem chalk and cheese now but don't think it ever really became a massive issue for them.

Bros for life innit!

Hi guys. Before I go any further, after reading the comments I just wanted to say how refreshing it is to see such a good, activite forum where people seem so genuine - I've been on plenty forums and this one definitely stands out. There are countless comments wishing Dele all the best which makes me sad on your part for you losing a player so close to your hearts, despite his form over the past few years.

I just wanted to ask a couple of questions about Dele and get the opinion of some of the fans on here.

Dele had a quite unbelievable few years when he broke on the scene. His returns indicated he was about to be the next best thing. At what stage and why do people think his decline happened?

I know Dele has been implemented as a number 10 for the most part at Spurs, but has he ever been played as more of an 8, or in the wider positions? Also, I'm expecting more of a 'shadow striker' than a creator, but how capable is he at playing those intricate passes and playing in those half spaces linking play?

Finally his attitude. I see some people questioned his attitude off the pitch, suggesting he's a bit of a jack the lad. Do people know if he trains hard and does be work hard when on the pitch?

Thanks in advance Spurs fans, and I wish you all the best for the remainder of the season (except when you play us!).
Think he needs to play just behind the striker to really get the best out of him and he did have a Rep for not being the best trainer.
Think he's lost the spark (Nasty Side) which really made him who he was, needs to get that back.

He’s been played in pretty much every midfield position but where he had success was as either a number 10 in a 4231 where he had licence to roam or as an inside forward in a 343. He’s got to have some freedom to roam around and try things. He likes to make runs in behind for balls over the top or make late runs into the box for crosses, he has always been poor in holding up the ball and playing with his back to goal. He’s also got a pass in him and likes to play through balls, but this is something we haven’t seen for a long time because his form has been so poor.

He’s played many times as an 8 but the defensive responsibility that comes with it tends to blunt his game. He puts himself about but he’s lost a lot of mobility from his early days and can’t really play the role anymore.

With regard to his attitude, it’s hard to really say. When he first arrived he was supposedly the fittest player at the club and really worked hard in training. But after he exploded he seems to have become a lazy trainer, this is something Mourinho mentioned in the documentary. I don’t think he’s a bad apple but he probably hasn’t put in the level of work that’s required to get back to his best. His physique has changed a lot after some serious hamstring injuries and he’s lost a lot of athleticism. If he can get that back, he can become effective again. In his current condition he wasn’t even able to make a dent against Morecambe.

hi mate and welcome to the site. I'll try to answer you questions in stages:

Firstly regarding his decline..

Most people would agree early to mid 2018 was the start of the decline and that coincided with reaccuring hamstring and thigh injuries. I think that was definitely the contributing factor and the stuff about his attitude is an absolute myth.
In the 2019/20 season when Mourinho initially came in he started to play like tge Dele of old (maybe not play like prime Dele but definitely did in terms of goalscoring contribution). Started scoring quite regularly and Mourinho counted on him but eventually that relationship soured. Still managed around 8 league goals that season which isn't bad at all (bearing in mind he didn't play that many games due to injuries again).

question regarding positions
Clear as day 10 is his best position and his ghosting runs were absolutely deadly. To my recollection he's not played in a wider position and I would advise strongly against it. As a number 8 he's played some games but again would advise against it. Him playing off DCL would work well imo. 'linking' play is not his game and doesn't do it very well tbh. Passing ....yeh he's ok but nothing to write home about. As a shadow striker he can be exceptional.

Regarding his aritude...total myth imo. His fashion sense is questionable but who cares. On the pitch he runs all day long (usually proven by the distance covered stats) and his effort can never be questioned, ever. He's not seen as a "jack the lad"...I think more the suggestion is that he's a bit immature because he jokes and likes playing fortnite but honestly he seems like a really nice guy....and on the pitch he gives his all so who cares anyway.

Edit
Actually I forgot when Eriksen was here Dele started out wide and ghosted in....was very good at it. Hasn't done that for a while though.

Welcome mate,

What I would start off by saying is that the large majority of Spurs fans don't question his attitude, work ethic or general character (we leave that to the media). He seems to be an extremely liked member of the squad and has largely always had a great relationship with the fans.

I'd say our 'concerns' are more focussed around his mental wellbeing from a point of care than condemnation. He genuinely looks like someone struggling with the weight of expectation and the scrutiny of fame rather than someone who doesn't care about football.

It's worth emphasising in the second half of the 18/19 season most of the team started performing badly and then Poch leaving and Mourinho's public 'tough love' approach really seemed to effect him.

As for his best position….

Dele actually broke into the team playing in a 2 with Eric Dier with Dembele in the 10 role. Although not a tempo player, his pressures, box-to-box running and ability to arrive in the box made him one hell of a player.

After scoring a few goals, Poch swapped Dele and Moussa over. But he never became a #10 as such, which always remained Eriksen's role - but more of a dynamic box-to-box player.

I remember when he first arrived there were some stories about how he broke all kinds of bleep test records in training. When a player has a knack for scoring there's a tendency to just "put them closer to the goal." Most Spurs fans would have him as a 10, but personally I would say Dele’s best position would be as an 8 ironically doing a similar thing to Frank Lampard or today maybe a Souček? I actually like the idea of him roaming in a 3 with VDB doing the controlling role and Allen sitting.

Don't you dare play him wide....

On his ability to link the play

…he most certainly can. I wouldn’t say he’s a technically brilliant and fluid player like a Grealish or a Foden, but he's more than capable of inventive through balls, first time passes round the corner and intricate bits of skill. It's just a shame it hasn't been coming off recently.

Rather than being a technician, he’s a player with extraordinary imagination and bravery.... hence why I think a positive environment is so conducive to him playing good football. It's this which enables him to produce so many wonderfully skilful moments whilst simultaneously also looking so bang average.

Look after him and I think he'll look after you.

Last edited:
40M after 80 matches
Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield
Half a mill a game.

Back
Top Bottom