Tottenham Hotspur vs Southampton | Wednesday 9 Feb | 19:45 KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As many others have said my reflections after a good nights kip;

It all seemed very chaotic. If there’s a plan it goes out of the window (for the players at least) as soon as we encounter some pressure.
The usual suspects remind us they just aren’t good enough.
January was a very poor window for us.
Most worryingly we got played of the park by Southampton.

All a bit depressing.

First off, it has to be said, Southampton are a fucking tough side to play against. Outside of ManC they are the hardest pressing team in the PL - at least for the first 45 minutes of games. Outside of City they are the side I least enjoy playing against right now.

They do tend to run out of puff a bit second halves, but they are still are really tricky opponent, and if they had better quality footballers all over the pitch they would be duking it out up the 3-6th place IMO.

Everyone's bitching and whining about our defenders (me included), but tactically we should expect better from Conte than that first half - it's not like they didn't do exactly the same in the away game before they lost a man.

Generally speaking Conte's has improved what we are doing without the ball, but tonight we were shoddy and his selections and tactics didn't help. He should have started us in the 352, given us more ability to play out and pressure them when trying to play through us, he could then switch to 343 later of needed.

Second half they ran out puff, as the tend to do, and we got on top, scored a great goal, and then pissed it away with some really fucking lazy play, allowing JWP time and space twice to chuck in decent balls into our box, but we should be able to defend "crosses" better - generally we have been under Conte. All three goals our defenders - all of them - were fucking about.

I think on the balance of the chances/game a draw would have been fair (the X/G's agree 1.74 us v 1.73 them) but I can't grumble at losing either, the manner in which we lost control after taking the lead was piss poor.

Romero's great at charging out but I was less than impressed by some of his defending in our box. Davies, Sanchez, Emerson and Reguilon all did plenty of sloppy shit. So many times I see our defenders marking "space" not people in dangerous situations (and Dier's even worse for this). but make no mistake this is not just about defenders - it's about how we defended as a team.
Good post in general. Although I would say Southampton deserved the result. They did more to try and win.

Some points which may solve our problems.

I sit in the upper tier about near halfway line, from this angle you can see clearly how deep our defensive line is. Worse yet we have the midfield line practically sitting 5 yards away from the defence, which makes it impossible to pass through midfield.
A team like Southampton who press will gobble up that. Its too easy for them when there is no distance between the defensive and midfield lines.
You can't see it on TV camera, but from where I sit of you look up the pitch to Kane who is 40 yards up, surrounded by 3 defenders.
So when we get the ball, we can't pass through midfield because they are too close to the defenders and being blanketed by the Southampton press. So we pump it long to Kane, but he can't hold it as he had 3 defenders around him. So we turnover possession and its relentless pattern like this.

Conte needs to either fuck this 5 at the back off, or ditch one of the wingers for an extra CM.

We need to stop inviting every team onto us by playing so deep. Just stepping up the line by 10 yards, then the midfield up to the halfway line and Kane in the opposition half would help us to pass through as there is now space between players.
We totally played into their hands tactically.

It was pissing down yesterday, but I noticed loads of our players slipping. Wrong studs I don't know but I don't recall many Southampton players slipping. Fucking home pitch and you don't have correct footwear. And this isn't the first game I've seen our players lose footing at home.

The marking space is spot on too. Playing with so many defenders you just buck responsibility and think another defender will deal with it.
We have deficient defenders and Conte has tried to hide this by playing 5 with 2 DMs. But the loss of the extra man in midfield is costing us possession and any attacking threat or control in games.

Once Dier is fit, we could play 4 and use Romero and Dier at CB. Move the extra man into midfield.

I think the reason I'm SO pissed off, is that all the goodwill and feelgood factor of the Leicester win, went out the window last night.

Southampton basically did to us what we did to Leiecster... (Albeit 10 minutes earlier!)

...and no, I don't care that the dissallowed goal WAS offside. it felt like a kick in the bollocks THAT late on, salvaging SOMETHING from a lost cause, only to be denied by VARce!

Where was fucking VAR when Roy Carrol bundled Mendes' long range punt into the net??
Where was VAR at Wembley when Gomes cleared the (Drogba? I forget, and don't care any more) goal bound ball in the Cup, but they gave it anyway....

Fucking VAR... 10 YEARS TOO LATE!

(I'm conveniently forgetting the CL Qtr. Final vs. Man City, OBVIOUSLY!!)

Me after the Leicester game...
bugs-bunny-skipping.gif

Me this morning....
angry-mad.gif

Football eh?

I honestly can’t think of one manager past or present that would get a tune out of this shower

Conte has performed miracles getting us where we are

I agree. Poch did a Great Job too. He built a squad from unknowns. He even managed to get Deli 1 firing. He got us to within a spitting distance of winning the League and he got us to a Champions League final. What did he get when he asked for players? Almost 2 seasons without a single transfer.

Jose had us top of the league at one stage. We had the Golden Boot player, with the most assists. We had another top 5 striker only 4 goals away from the Golden Boot. What did when he asked for players? He got Doherty.

Now Conté asks for 4 players. One of players he wanted jumped into his first La Liga game and tore Athletico apart. The other jumps into his first English fixture and plays a blinder. What did he get. One player who shows promise in a midfield position we are well overstocked in. And another who really doesn't look fit or good enough for counter attacking football.

Where does our problem lay. I Agree with you. It lies in the fact that we are a Real Estate Company sponsoring a Football team and Not a Football team owning some Real Estate.

Anyone remember the old saying "beware the wounded bear", back in the old days, when Soccer Saturday was half way watchable, the rambling old boys like Rodney Marsh would always roll out the phrase when discussing a team in shite form or off the back of a good pasting (that was often us tbf...).

Well we're basically the opposite of that phrase, something like "don't worry about the fully fit, well fed bear...", is there any other side in world football so prone to a spectacular capitulation in moments where all seems to be going swimmingly?

Tell you what though, thank fuck we didn't go for Coutinho on loan eh, useless cunt wasn't good enough for Barcelona so definitely not good enough for us. A goal and 2 assists last night, we can do without behaviour like that from our creative midfielders thank you very much...

Kulusevski looks way off the pace to me. Like he hasn't played football for 12 months.

Winks and PEH were awful, as for Royale I've no idea why he's even in the squad.

Not looking forward to Sunday

The Lucas sub was a real strange one...... He'd been all over the place, was the main one breaking through their lines and just got the assist for us to take the lead......
Problem is, whatever he does, Lucas will always be a marmite player - he was slated by many on here throughout last night's game, despite always being the one who looked like he might make something happen, and playing the key pass in both of our goals, yet I bet many of them applauded when he was subbed. That said, of course Conte must see what Lucas brings, even if so many on here don't. But yes even without considering that we eventually lost the game it looks a poor decision - removing a lively player and bringing in a newbie when we were very far from coasting to a victory. The other sub was completely different, Bentancur injected necessary energy when he came on at the weekend, it was clear last night that we were never going to lose any energy by injecting him into the mix. But Lucas for Kulu was a strange one for sure. :/

Fully agree apart the salary for eriksen. He was offered higher wages but he turned them down...

Two years before Eriksens contract expired, when first asked too extend, he made requests. Levy didn't want to grant those requests so he kept haggling for another year. By then Eriksen had publicly announced his intentions to move to another club.

Clubs, agents and players are tired of Levy's Bullshit. The same can be seen for Traore and Diaz.

It took Barca one Day to agree to demands. We took (Just in the January Window), three weeks of back and forth to get nothing from Traore.

Would it have happened if Daniel went, "Wolves you want 20 Million, send your bank details". Adama Conte wants you as a RWB or RW. You want 140000 a week. Done, here's the contract and the pen, let's sign".

Porto you want 37 Million plus 13 Million in add-ons. Done, let make this happen. Diaz, you want....( I know he is below 200000). Done, let's sign.

Both the clubs and players were not asking for more than what they are worth. Diaz at 37 plus add-ons is well worth it. Looking at Traore at Barca, Conté knew what he would do for Spurs under him. For 20 Million, it's a steal.

The behaviour by some here and on the various fan channels before the game was absolutely cringeworthy stuff.

As soon as I started hearing "We're going to destroy Southampton," "We'll be in the top 4" or " We're going to put 3 or 4 past them" you knew how it would play out.

We never learn it seems.

The Lucas sub was a real strange one...... He'd been all over the place, was the main one breaking through their lines and just got the assist for us to take the lead......

And then a minute later Conte subs him for Premier league debutant Kulusevski - a player who's not even been with us for a fortnight?

We needed to keep on the front foot and consolidate - that sub killed our momentum.

And Kulu looked awfully slow.......
Lucas also played a really important pass for the first

seems to me he was punished for not protecting Emerson, who in reality you need Iron Man and the Hulk to baby sit for him

Tell you what though, thank fuck we didn't go for Coutinho on loan eh, useless cunt wasn't good enough for Barcelona so definitely not good enough for us. A goal and 2 assists last night, we can do without behaviour like that from our creative midfielders thank you very much...

Even worse. We saw it coming, said No to a loan but put in an option to buy clause. WTF.

The behaviour by some here and on the various fan channels before the game was absolutely cringeworthy stuff.

As soon as I started hearing "We're going to destroy Southampton," "We'll be in the top 4" or " We're going to put 3 or 4 past them" you knew how it would play out.

We never learn it seems.
To be fair we did put 3 past them...
Edit: 4!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom