Germany vs England

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fantastic draw tonight. Another notch on Southgate’s bed. Fucking spectacular achievement to draw 1-1 against mighty Germany. That’ll surely be enough to see him stay on as England manager for another two years.

kirk douglas wood GIF

Chilwell/Tomori/Stones/Walker/James on paper looks a really balanced back 5. I think we need to squeeze Walker in simply because he's one of the best defensive players in the world IMO. That recovery pace is silly.

The back 5 route works, it's just let's go a bit more offensive in midfield and give the wing backs some more license to go forward, as we see with Conte.

Yep, 3/5 at the back isn't the problem and I accept that it might be the best way to combat the concerns about our CBs...... It's how we line up in front of that and the tactical intent that'll make or break us.

Even if we persist with 2 x DMs a la Rice & Phillips for fucks sake stop playing Mason fucking Mount!

Pickford
Walker / Stones / Tamori
James / Rice / Phillips / Chillwell
[insert 2 or Sterling / Grealish / Foden / Bowen]
Kane

or

Pickford
Walker / Stones / Tamori
Rice
James / Bellingham / Foden / Chillwell
Bowen / Kane​

Don't get how those who want Southgate to play more attacking football and go after teams more are wanting us to play 5 at the back.

2016/2017 Spurs should be able to tell you everything you need to know.

........It would also help if your go-to take on what people have been posting wasn't as ignorant and simplistic as "attack moooooore".

Last edited:
Yep, 3/5 at the back isn't the problem and I accept that it might be the best way to combat the concerns about our CBs...... It's how we line up in front of that and the tactical intent that'll make or break us.

Even if we persist with 2 x DMs a la Rice & Phillips for fucks sake stop playing Mason fucking Mount!

Pickford
Walker / Stones / Tamori
James / Rice / Phillips / Chillwell
[insert 2 or Sterling / Grealish / Foden / Bowen]
Kane

or

Pickford
Walker / Stones / Tamori
Rice
James / Bellingham / Foden / Chillwell
Bowen / Kane​

Baffles me how awful he is for England. Consistently seems to be up there with Chelsea's best players yet for his country he is entirely anonymous. I get that Tuchel is a top coach and that helps (he was good under Lampard ffs!) but his driving runs & energy just aren't there in internationals.

Him & Saka were really pathetic vs Germany. Their replacements both did more in a matter of minutes than they'd managed all game.

I wonder if Mount can play as one of the 2 CM's? Southgate clearly loves him but if he could drop back in there it would allow another attacking player onto the pitch.

Don't get how those who want Southgate to play more attacking football and go after teams more are wanting us to play 5 at the back.

5 at the back does not equal defensive when in reality it becomes a 3-5-2/3/4/3. Look at how many goals we've scored in this setup under Conte. Formations aren't what decides attacking intent, I remember a while back Van Gaal scolded a journalist for suggesting 5 at the back was defensive.

Push the wing backs up high & play Bellingham ahead of another safety first CM.

Baffles me how awful he is for England. Consistently seems to be up there with Chelsea's best players yet for his country he is entirely anonymous. I get that Tuchel is a top coach and that helps (he was good under Lampard ffs!) but his driving runs & energy just aren't there in internationals.

Him & Saka were really pathetic vs Germany. Their replacements both did more in a matter of minutes than they'd managed all game.

Fuck knows, but SG really ought to be able to see it doesn't work and stop clinging to his MOTD highlight reel. For England he's lightweight and prone to ghosting.

Past England form keeps McGuire in the starting XI
Chav form keeps Mount in the starting XI......

Completely contradictory selection philosophy which simply translates as 'Southgate has faves despite all the meticulously media-managed warblings'.

5 at the back does not equal defensive when in reality it becomes a 3-5-2/3/4/3. Look at how many goals we've scored in this setup under Conte. Formations aren't what decides attacking intent, I remember a while back Van Gaal scolded a journalist for suggesting 5 at the back was defensive.

Blows my mind that Spurs fans think this way considering 16/17 and our rebirth under Conte.

Do you trust Southgate to push the wing backs up high? No? Well there you go.

Do you trust Southgate to push the wing backs up high? No? Well there you go.

No, but I also don't think we'll drop Maguire under Southgate, but my ideal lineup still wouldn't include him in it.

This is all just hypothetical shit that we have zero control over.

No, but I also don't think we'll drop Maguire under Southgate, but my ideal lineup still wouldn't include him in it.

This is all just hypothetical shit that we have zero control over.

I don't either, but we have played 4-3-3 before with Maguire and Stones as the two CB's. We can certainly play that way against Wales, Iran and the USA later this year. At the end of the day you should always play to your strengths. England's are pace out wide and the fact that we have a world-class, elite striker. Rice doesn't play in a midfield two for his club and neither does Phillips or Bellingham, so England shouldn't be forcing any of them to either.

Think he's injured in fairness. I can't really say much about him other than I know he's been starting all season for a team who won a league title, so he's got to at least be a better option than someone like Coady.

bus-conductor bus-conductor You're a Serie A watcher, how is Tomori?

He's had good season. I don't think he's the next VVD, but he's got a decent mix of physicality, reasonable mobility, quite aggressive good on pressing/ 1 v1 defending, reads OK. I think for the money Milan paid he's been good value.

And most of all, move and pass with a bit of zip. The slow build up where everyone is looking for one more touch, one more short pass, is absolutely killing the attack.

In defence it ends going to pickford for a punt up to Kane.

Fantastic draw tonight. Another notch on Southgate’s bed. Fucking spectacular achievement to draw 1-1 against mighty Germany. That’ll surely be enough to see him stay on as England manager for another two years.

kirk douglas wood GIF

Are you alright? Germany haven't lost under Flick yet and although they might not be as strong as they have been, still have a number of top players. A point away to Germany is a good result no matter who you are for fuck sake. Even more so on the back of a loss and a dodgy performance.

Pickford worries me
Mount worries me
Sterling worries me
Saka worries me
Slabhead worries everyone

Why would Sterling worry you? Are players not allowed the odd bad performance? He's arguably been England's best player over the last couple of years. Same with Pickford.

Pickford made a few very good saves in that game.

No he didn't. Don't make things up to suit your argument, you're better than that. He made a couple of routine saves any decent keeper should be making. He barely did anything for 90 minutes and had even less to do in extra -time. As always, people get dizzy when a team has a lot of possession. Italy created barely anything for all of their pretty passing in midfield. It's just that we created even less despite being at home and having a stronger attack on paper.

Italy deserved to win but it was a pretty poor final and there was barely a good chance created by either team over 120 minutes.

Last edited:
So is Gary.

There’s probably something in that. The two obviously have a problem or else Grealish would start because everyone can see he is superior to Mount in every way. But if Southgate plays him then he has to admit he was wrong, especially if Grealish produces, which it looks like he has based on his England performances in the last 12 months. More than Mount anyway.

There’s probably something in that. The two obviously have a problem or else Grealish would start because everyone can see he is superior to Mount in every way. But if Southgate plays him then he has to admit he was wrong, especially if Grealish produces, which it looks like he has based on his England performances in the last 12 months. More than Mount anyway.

Mount presses well and runs about a lot more than Grealish. Completely different type of player, but he's definitely not performed for England yet as he often does for Chelsea. Clear to see he's given much more of a license to get forward for his club though. Grealish is better coming off the bench probably, but we definitely have other alternatives to Mount. Conor Gallagher would offer more right now.

Back
Top Bottom