Germany vs England

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think Southgate is creating a problem and he'll lose the dressing room very quickly if he continues. He picked people on form at the start,gave people opportunities that deserved them and that was getting the best out of the side. Now he's reverted to favourites and it will cost him his job if he continues. Mount doesn't do it for England still plays. Maguire horrible season still selected and started ahead of other defenders that have had much better seasons. Right backs playing left back to name but a few.

Clearly grealish should be starting on that left hand side and going off form bowen starts ahead of saka. If he carries on like this I think we'll have a horrible tournament and he'll leave his position after it. He needs to get back to rewarding players for good form and creating competition within the squad.

I think Southgate is creating a problem and he'll lose the dressing room very quickly if he continues. He picked people on form at the start,gave people opportunities that deserved them and that was getting the best out of the side. Now he's reverted to favourites and it will cost him his job if he continues. Mount doesn't do it for England still plays. Maguire horrible season still selected and started ahead of other defenders that have had much better seasons. Right backs playing left back to name but a few.

Clearly grealish should be starting on that left hand side and going off form bowen starts ahead of saka. If he carries on like this I think we'll have a horrible tournament and he'll leave his position after it. He needs to get back to rewarding players for good form and creating competition within the squad.

Don't see that at all. The team spirit seems to be better than ever. Every single manager on the planet will have his favourites he always turns to.

Don't see that at all. The team spirit seems to be better than ever. Every single manager on the planet will have his favourites he always turns to.
I've watched a squad of players look disinterested that would rather be on holiday. They haven't looked together at all to me. It's been disjointed at best imo.

I've watched a squad of players look disinterested that would rather be on holiday. They haven't looked together at all to me. It's been disjointed at best imo.

Most probably because the seasons finished and they most probably want to be on holiday.

Why would Sterling worry you? Are players not allowed the odd bad performance? He's arguably been England's best player over the last couple of years. Same with Pickford.
Sterling hasnt been a regular starter for Man City and it shows and Pickford is a decent shot stopper but he hadn't got a football brain... infact I'd be surprised if he actually has a brain.

We're they also playing players that didn't deserve to be there and picked off previous year's?

Don't think so, not that it should make a difference, the players look shattered - De Bruyne and Van Dijk already came out and said it was a hindrance playing these matches.

They ought to be on holiday by now, it's madness that they are playing 2 weeks after the season finished.

That's why I can't take and drop in performances right now as anything other than physical and mental fatigue related.

I replied to a post about "identity".

There was no identity tonight and there was even less of one on Saturday.

Mate..... No point just taking 1 word out of context and rattling out a "Yeh, but we're were good and I won't hear any different" reply.

You're bi-polar when it comes to SG and England.... You called for SGs head on Saturday night and now you're back to white-knighting for him and mocking others for being miserable.
I just don’t think it’s fair to claim that Southgate hasn’t fashioned an identity.

Firstly, I don’t really think international managers do that. Certain countries default to their traditional approach (being hard to beat has worked very well for Italy). Beyond that, other international managers are occasionally lucky enough to take on the overall style of a stellar domestic club (Barcelona and Spain).

Southgate is a steady eddy that’s building the team around Rice and Philips. We then look t counterattack. Perhaps we’re not very well coached in the final third but, fuck it, there’s nothing wrong with going into a tournament and saying we will be very, very hard to actually beat.

That’s an identity. Not an exciting one, but it works.

Don't think so, not that it should make a difference, the players look shattered - De Bruyne and Van Dijk already came out and said it was a hindrance playing these matches.

They ought to be on holiday by now, it's madness that they are playing 2 weeks after the season finished.

That's why I can't take and drop in performances right now as anything other than physical and mental fatigue related.
I get it to a point but let's not forget it's a world Cup year and they should be getting ready to play in one now. I'm sure the same players wouldn't be using the same excuses or playing with the same intensity that they are playing with now. It should always be a privilege to play for your country and something that should never be taken for granted.

Nothing wrong at all with the team spirit though. We didn't deserve to lose against Hungary, albeit we did, and despite Germany having so much possession last night we had enough chances and half chances to win two games of football. We deserved the point we got in the end. We're in a group where all the teams have and will drop points to each other.

I just don’t think it’s fair to claim that Southgate hasn’t fashioned an identity.

Firstly, I don’t really think international managers do that. Certain countries default to their traditional approach (being hard to beat has worked very well for Italy). Beyond that, other international managers are occasionally lucky enough to take on the overall style of a stellar domestic club (Barcelona and Spain).

Southgate is a steady eddy that’s building the team around Rice and Philips. We then look t counterattack. Perhaps we’re not very well coached in the final third but, fuck it, there’s nothing wrong with going into a tournament and saying we will be very, very hard to actually beat.

That’s an identity. Not an exciting one, but it works.

People expect us to blow everyone away it seems. We're a solid, difficult to beat side that plays on the counter and generally perform better against sides that attack us and don't just sit back. People should be absolutely fine with that. Despite us being sloppy with the ball yesterday, we created more chances and came closer to scoring more than the Germans did. Those are facts. Of course we can play better, but if we're dissapointed that we only drew away from home against an in-form Germany side then that can only be a good thing.

Nothing wrong at all with the team spirit though. We didn't deserve to lose against Hungary, albeit we did, and despite Germany having so much possession last night we had enough chances and half chances to win two games of football. We deserved the point we got in the end. We're in a group where all the teams have and will drop points to each other.
Fair play to you for to be able to enjoy the absolute shit they've played the last 2 games and take positives from it. Hungary and Germany both played far better than we did and we was lucky to come away with 1 point from 6.

Mount presses well and runs about a lot more than Grealish. Completely different type of player, but he's definitely not performed for England yet as he often does for Chelsea. Clear to see he's given much more of a license to get forward for his club though. Grealish is better coming off the bench probably, but we definitely have other alternatives to Mount. Conor Gallagher would offer more right now.

Liam Gallagher would offer more right now!

Fair play to you for to be able to enjoy the absolute shit they've played the last 2 games and take positives from it. Hungary and Germany both played far better than we did and we was lucky to come away with 1 point from 6.

That's not true though, is it? The fact that you think Hungary played much better than us is complete nonsense. Match stats show that. Your own eyes should show you that. England were poor by what they can and should be capable of but let's not pretend that Hungary dominated the game. They wouldn't have scored without us and/or the referee helping them if they were still playing that game now.

And while Germany did dominate the ball yesterday, they certainly didn't dominate chances created, and for me that's far more important that knocking the ball around in defence and midfield. England created more in the last 15 minutes than Germany did all game.

Pickford is a massive problem

Would be nowhere near a top 4 side. Jumpy, immature and erratic, as per Hart Guradiola would show him the door and so would everyone else

I get it to a point but let's not forget it's a world Cup year and they should be getting ready to play in one now. I'm sure the same players wouldn't be using the same excuses or playing with the same intensity that they are playing with now. It should always be a privilege to play for your country and something that should never be taken for granted.

But that's a mental thing, a lot of players normally check out towards the end of their seasons in a WC year and get prepared to play for their countries, the Nations League is very different to the WC or a EURO tournament because it means nothing.

Back
Top Bottom