Unpopular football opinions

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The title did request unpopular opinions, after all.

But it's true. Much rather have offsides fixed and shite decisions not stand.
I wouldn't . Popular or unpopular it's just wrong. The biggest simple flaw is that 'soccer ' great gift it's, theatrical catharsis is the goal. The power of the spontaneous explosion that can after nearly two hours of attrition be decisive. They shit on this because why?.... a bloke is 1.1 nano mm the other side...nah its clear the custodians of the game don't even understand why its good. The immediate release has been ruined.

Off-sides is the best thing about it.....

It's the subjective stuff where it fails and leaves us no better off.
I do agree with this. Instant replay in all forms throughout sport excel at binary decisions, and not wanting them around is just bizarre to me. In/out, on/off, right/wrong distance, etc. are all great uses of technology.

Anything that's a matter of judgement it generally leads to a proliferation/escalation of fouls. Everything looks egregious and intentional in slow motion

I do agree with this. Instant replay in all forms throughout sport excel at binary decisions, and not wanting them around is just bizarre to me. In/out, on/off, right/wrong distance, etc. are all great uses of technology.

Anything that's a matter of judgement it generally leads to a proliferation/escalation of fouls. Everything looks egregious and intentional in slow motion

I don't have a problem with the tech (Look at Hawkeye... Why would anyone ever want to go back?)... It's the boys-club that operates out of the VAR-room that's an issue.

I wouldn't . Popular or unpopular it's just wrong. The biggest simple flaw is that 'soccer ' great gift it's, theatrical catharsis is the goal. The power of the spontaneous explosion that can after nearly two hours of attrition be decisive. They shit on this because why?.... a bloke is 1.1 nano mm the other side...nah its clear the custodians of the game don't even understand why its good. The immediate release has been ruined.
Plenty of goals or potential goals were called off before by errant offsides calls. The reality now is that because the technology is there to fix the call if it's wrong in-the-moment, anything even close to 50/50 is allowed to play on, and if necessary they'll call it off. This actually leads to more goals being scored.

Here's mine;

TV/Media secretly LOVE football violence and pitch invasions.... even though they are contractually obliged to condemn it... they know it makes great telly, and so will never stop televising it!

Which is why they always bang on about 'uniquely English, hostile atmospheres' when televising the most incendiary, volatile, ill-feeling fixtures on prime time Sky Sports Super Sunday, and then pretending to be aghast and shocked when it all kicks off!

Here's mine;

TV/Media secretly LOVE football violence and pitch invasions.... even though they are contractually obliged to condemn it... they know it makes great telly, and so will never stop televising it!

Which is why they always bang on about 'uniquely English, hostile atmospheres' when televising the most incendiary, volatile, ill-feeling fixtures on prime time Sky Sports Super Sunday, and then pretending to be aghast and shocked when it all kicks off!
That's just a general indictment of the media, though, isn't it? Nothing garners views like "bad" events and the vitriolic condemnation.

That's just a general indictment of the media, though, isn't it? Nothing garners views like "bad" events and the vitriolic condemnation.
Oh absolutely....
Which is why whenever the news are about to show something graphic or harrowing, they are obliged to give warning:
"some viewers might find the following images distressing"
But I can guarantee you there isn't one single viewer who will turn off at that point... They tune in JOYOUSLY to watch the graphic images unfold!

TV knows that... The viewers know that...
Which is why at the scene of any violentl crime or serious accident, there will be more people with phones, filming the horror, than there will be people offering to help!

Plenty of goals or potential goals were called off before by errant offsides calls. The reality now is that because the technology is there to fix the call if it's wrong in-the-moment, anything even close to 50/50 is allowed to play on, and if necessary they'll call it off. This actually leads to more goals being scored.
You know they are making the same guesses they used to right? They do want to go there but the lauded technology on them offside is not at all definitive. The ball sensor is not part of the technology and its a binary that works and biggest is the spoiling the spontaneous celebration. Ridiculous.

This might not be so unpopular but I think Messi and Ronaldo are not comparable. Nothing against Ronnie, he's world class but Messi is on a different level altogether.
Meh, he hasn’t exactly pulled up trees in a poor league. 6 goals in 26?
Ronaldo got 18 in 30 for a gammy united team in a harder league

Meh, he hasn’t exactly pulled up trees in a poor league. 6 goals in 26?
Ronaldo got 18 in 30 for a gammy united team in a harder league

Firstly I'd imagine he's talking about their respective primes, not their current level. And secondly, Messi may have only scored 6 goals but he was playing a different role for PSG and got 14 assists, the most in the league.

It was obviously a poor season (by his standards) but there is quite a bit of context..

Here's mine;

It's funny Victim FC destroyed the Man City bus in the champions League afew years ago and everyone at the time was saying "this is what Liverpool's about"

Yet any slight injustice against them specifically and it's everybody else's fault

Imagine what would be said if a team celebrated their trophies on the anniversary of Hillsborough?

Yet nothing was said about them celebrating on the anniversary of the Heysel Stadium disaster which was their fans fault

Man City & Chelsea's Titles and trophies are worthless 'cos they simply threw more money at making sure theywon them than the rest of football....

(and you can 'whatever the opposite of retrospectively' throw Newcastle into the mix in 5 years' time!)

There. I said it!

It's funny Victim FC destroyed the Man City bus in the champions League afew years ago and everyone at the time was saying "this is what Liverpool's about"

Yet any slight injustice against them specifically and it's everybody else's fault

Imagine what would be said if a team celebrated their trophies on the anniversary of Hillsborough?

Yet nothing was said about them celebrating on the anniversary of the Heysel Stadium disaster which was their fans fault

Tbh I think that is a popular opinion but the media suggest the opposite because they are shit scared of getting The Sun treatment.

Back
Top Bottom