Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Couple of things from posts above:
1. Sess definitely a better defender than Reg. Surprised me at how adept he was, actually. The tools are absolutely there for him to be very good going forward, but his confidence is still not there. An offseason with Conte and being understudy to Perisic will do him wonders towards fulfilling his potential.

2. Winks is a solid PL player. His "sin" is that he isn't quite to the level that Spurs need him to be for us to move forward. If he were a problem from a chemistry perspective, I'd more understand the stick he gets on here. Whenever I've seen him play, its not lack of effort or desire. He just lacks that next level to his play that we need.

I think all you are saying is that its only in England where clubs don't develop enough HG players (hence we have issues with price/availability), whereas in rest of europe they develop more of their own players (as HG in their own countries) so don't run into the problems of price/availability.

What I'm saying is that it's not an even playing field for clubs at home or playing teams abroad. Other countries don't charge absurd money for HG players when trading between each other. So a smaller team can afford to buy a useful HG player to actually bolster their squad. It's getting to the stage in this country that even wealthy clubs like us are going to struggle to buy anyone HG. Grealish at £100m, how much today for JWP or Rice or Bowen. They'd all be hugely over priced and their clubs would rather not sell to another PL at all. I don't think that' s anywhere near as prevalent overseas.

This makes me laugh. The 'majority ' of fans despise any player that don't play for them Matt is really projecting his dislike of Richarlison on to whetherthis is a good or bad deal. Lots of fans hate Kane. It has zero bearing on what coaches think of him. I'm indifferent to the Everton striker but I don't care what we pay thats bookkeeping FC's problem and Levy's problem. Looking at the length he has remaining on his deal, Everton's situation and the players clear intrest in the move if Conte wants him it will happen. As most hated Kulu on first sight I'm happy to go with whatever Conte decides.

Look at the end of the day there are players we all rate and don’t rate.
It's more than that. There are people we just don't like. That's often far more irrational and unexplainable than not rating them.

God our fans moan at tight arse Levy and Lewis’s who are historically tight arses then we finally get £150m investment plus player sales plus CL money to produce a giant war chest of £250-300m and our fans becomes the Levy tight arses themselves.

Spurs fans: SPEND MONEY!!!!

Lewis: ok I will stop being a tight cunt, here you go.

Conte: Get me Richarlison, Bastoni, Eriksen, Bissouma, Paqueta, Spence, Bremer, Forster, Perisic, another RB. Cost about £250m, back me and let’s go again next season.

Spurs fans: NO, NO, NO don’t do that, Richarlison is only worth 50p, Bissouma £40m is way to much £25m no more. Plenty of players out of contract or nearly out of contract look there.

Liverpool just spent 80m on a guy far less proven than Richarlison yet we think £60m is too much. This is the mentality of a small club that hasn’t got the balls to make it big.

I don't get what you mean.

Even if we have 250 mil£, I still don't think we should party like there is no tomorrow.
Nor should we ship out any kind of money other teams request. It is still possible to operate in smart fashion.

Liverpool and Spurs are WORLDS apart in our top scouting. Our top player recruitment has been criminal. Literally - someone should be sent to jail for the shit we have done.

For comparison reason top 10 transfers in Spurs and in Pool -

SPURS:
1. Ndombele - 60 mEUR
2. Lo Celso - 48 mEUR
3. Sanchez - 42 m
4. Sissoko - 35 m
5. Bergwijn - 30 m
6. Soldado - 30 m
7. Regulion - 30 m
8. Lamela - 30 m
9. Son - 30 m
10. Moura - 28.4 mEUR

POOL:
1. VVD - 84.65 m
2. Alisson - 75 m
3. Keita - 60 m
4. Diaz - 47 m
5. Benteke - 46.5 m
6. Fabinho - 45 m
7. Jota - 44.7 m
8. Salah - 42 m
9. Mane 41.2 m
10. Firminho 41 m

From our top 10 there has been ONE obvious star and constant starter. ONE (!!). Sanchez has never (even once) been our best defender during one season, let alone across longer time. Regullion has been at best decent LB. Lamela and Moura have been at times acceptable squad players but never starters / stars of the show.
From Liverpool top 10.... well... Benteke was awful flop and Keita has been squad player, not superstar. But VVD, Alisson, Fabinho, Salah, Mane, Firminho, Jota - they have become undisputed superstars.

So take it down a notch - I rather see us signing clever deals like Kulusevski then just stupidly pay over the odds for likes of Richalidson.

Article refers to him as a 48 year old ex-Man Utd midfielder, so not our very own Simon Davies.
Cheers.

The article mentions that Steinsson left Everton alongside Brands. So he was probably in conflict with the owners over there just like Brands. The Everton owner apparently butted in on a lot of their work.

Ex-Everton head of recruitment?

Cringe Hangover GIF

What I'm saying is that it's not an even playing field for clubs at home or playing teams abroad. Other countries don't charge absurd money for HG players when trading between each other. So a smaller team can afford to buy a useful HG player to actually bolster their squad. It's getting to the stage in this country that even wealthy clubs like us are going to struggle to buy anyone HG. Grealish at £100m, how much today for JWP or Rice or Bowen. They'd all be hugely over priced and their clubs would rather not sell to another PL at all. I don't think that' s anywhere near as prevalent overseas.

It's more than that. There are people we just don't like. That's often far more irrational and unexplainable than not rating them.

The prices for HG players in England reflect the shortage/availability of HG players in this country ....... which comes back to PL clubs being very poor at bringing HG players through - and seeing Skipp do well on loan at a Championship club being looking good at Spurs shows its certainly possible.

If most PL clubs brought through one HG player a year for a couple of years, prices for HG players would drop for sure ..... even if half those brought through were sold on after a year or two.

Its a straight forward supply and demand issue

I don't get what you mean.

Even if we have 250 mil£, I still don't think we should party like there is no tomorrow.
Nor should we ship out any kind of money other teams request. It is still possible to operate in smart fashion.

Liverpool and Spurs are WORLDS apart in our top scouting. Our top player recruitment has been criminal. Literally - someone should be sent to jail for the shit we have done.

For comparison reason top 10 transfers in Spurs and in Pool -

SPURS:
1. Ndombele - 60 mEUR
2. Lo Celso - 48 mEUR
3. Sanchez - 42 m
4. Sissoko - 35 m
5. Bergwijn - 30 m
6. Soldado - 30 m
7. Regulion - 30 m
8. Lamela - 30 m
9. Son - 30 m
10. Moura - 28.4 mEUR

POOL:
1. VVD - 84.65 m
2. Alisson - 75 m
3. Keita - 60 m
4. Diaz - 47 m
5. Benteke - 46.5 m
6. Fabinho - 45 m
7. Jota - 44.7 m
8. Salah - 42 m
9. Mane 41.2 m
10. Firminho 41 m

From our top 10 there has been ONE obvious star and constant starter. ONE (!!). Sanchez has never (even once) been our best defender during one season, let alone across longer time. Regullion has been at best decent LB. Lamela and Moura have been at times acceptable squad players but never starters / stars of the show.
From Liverpool top 10.... well... Benteke was awful flop and Keita has been squad player, not superstar. But VVD, Alisson, Fabinho, Salah, Mane, Firminho, Jota - they have become undisputed superstars.

So take it down a notch - I rather see us signing clever deals like Kulusevski then just stupidly pay over the odds for likes of Richalidson.

That’s not my point. My point is if Conte and the club want Richarlison as their number one attacking target and he is £60m then why the fuss, it’s not your money if Lewis is bankrolling it.

We have asked for years for two things as fans, investment and backing the manager and now we are doing and yet Richarlison causes uproar. There are players we are linked to who I am not a great fan of but if Conte/Paratici want them and we have more than enough cash then I understand it.

We cannot become a Liverpool with just a good first 11 getting just cheap second/third choice signings as backup, doesn’t work. There are times the club will have to bite the bullet and that is what they seem to be doing now anyway.

Going round in circles here
Richarlison is not a player who is going to change clubs to sit on the bench.
Jota obviously is. He comes across as a team player and a good, mature person.
Richarlison will be trouble. It would be a bad decision to sign him and use him as a squad player.
His attitude may change once he's not a big fish in a small pool. He is able to behave as he likes at Everton but if he comes to a much bigger and better team, he's only going to succeed if he drops the attitude and acknowledges the fact that he's playing alongside real stars. It will be the making or the breaking of him. It's going to be an expensive experiment but Conte knows what he's doing.

Back
Top Bottom