England v Hungary

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

God I moan at some of the managers Spurs have had but fuck me England really have had dross. At some point the FA are going to have to be lined up against a wall and shot.
The media are in full defend Southgate mode as they’re aware of the situation. A bad World Cup and they’ll turn.

I don’t think the squad would back the sacking, they seem to all be behind Southgate. They’d have understood why Allardyce went. Destabilising the dressing room before a WC isn’t a great idea.

I honestly think if you sack Southgate now nobody decent goes near the job. Sacked for some poor nations league results, after a World Cup semi and European final? With England? The justification isn’t there.
Southgate is just the Regional Manager of a failing business.... He's paid to toe the party line, and keep things ticking along.

He doesn't inspire, or cajoule... and in another life would probably be an annonymous (non)working member of the extended Royal Family....
Somewhere between Edward, and Mark Phillips (but not the rapey paedo one!)

Last edited:
I think that International football comes a distant second to club football for so many players who are being paid an average lifetime's earnings every week!

I think Southgate is a dead man walking...
But I hear Pochettino is gonna be looking for work soon....!

No they aren't. They got to a semi final and a final whilst many players weren't in their prime. That's not a disappointment. Unless you're basing them being a disappointment on some nations league games, in which case, how's the bottom of that barrel you're scraping?
Can't speak to the Euro run but the WC run was ludicrous, right? How many went to pens? It was alucky run with favorable opponents and to characterize it as anything else is nonsense. That's context not discredit.
And yeah we get it, you don't like English fans, or players, or English anything I'd assume. Apart from this English football club.
Oh would you stop it with the ad homs...now it's my "anti-English" bias at work, huh? It could just be the players are overrated but that can't be so can it? The first GG failed because of X, Y, or Z but never because they were overrated and had outsized expectations beyond their capabilities, right? Nope, it's bc FF and Gerrard can't play together or some other nonsense. It's never just "we're not good enough". Guess what? You're not good enough. There's no threat in your attack, the MF is merely functional, and Macguire is a mainstay in your backline. That's not good enough Deuterz and nothing to do with Refs being bent or me or anyone else having an anti-English bias you bad faith merchant.

Can't speak to the Euro run but the WC run was ludicrous, right? How many went to pens? It was alucky run with favorable opponents and to characterize it as anything else is nonsense. That's context not discredit.

Oh would you stop it with the ad homs...now it's my "anti-English" bias at work, huh? It could just be the players are overrated but that can't be so can it? The first GG failed because of X, Y, or Z but never because they were overrated and had outsized expectations beyond their capabilities, right? Nope, it's bc FF and Gerrard can't play together or some other nonsense. It's never just "we're not good enough". Guess what? You're not good enough. There's no threat in your attack, the MF is merely functional, and Macguire is a mainstay in your backline. That's not good enough Deuterz and nothing to do with Refs being bent or me or anyone else having an anti-English bias you bad faith merchant.

One game went to penalties. One.

I didn’t call you anti English because you have a laughably negative view on the English NT. I said it because you came in to the thread after fans were pissed off after a loss just to let them know how funny the defeat was and got in a golden generation vibe. I don’t give a fuck if you think Bellingham, James or Foden are secretly crap footballers.

The intent was to rile people up. And fair enough, I bit. But you’ve got an axe to grind with the English fans & NT & have made it clear both in the past and present. Not sure what you felt you had to gain. Congrats on the US making the tournament btw, I know that’s often a struggle for you.

I think that International football comes a distant second to club football for so many players who are being paid an average lifetime's earnings every week!

I think Southgate is a dead man walking...
But I hear Pochettino is gonna be looking for work soon....!

I think players absolutely love the Euros/World Cup/AFCON etc & view it as the pinnacle of their careers, but outside of those big tournaments sometimes struggle for motivation.

I think players absolutely love the Euros/World Cup/AFCON etc & view it as the pinnacle of their careers, but outside of those big tournaments sometimes struggle for motivation.
I do think certain players struggle to adapt to the unique pressure that comes from playing for the country.

I'm not entirely sure why that is. I think, with club football, it's so continuous, there's always another game next weekend. There's always a chance to turn things around and improve.

The pressure that comes from the four year wait and knowing that it will come down to knockout football is not necessarily something they enjoy or look forward to. It takes a different type of mindset, and one that's maybe not cultivated in normal domestic football. I bet there's a fair few of them sat there thinking 'Christ, I hope it doesn't go down to penalties'. Hardly surprising, but I can see why they might not be looking forward to the tournament.

England fans after losing 4-0 at home to Hungary...
Eovc1n1W8AITpCf.jpg

I didn’t call you anti English because you have a laughably negative view on the English NT.
Hell of a charge to make with no evidence. But it shouldn't surprise from the guy that often blames referee conspiracies.
I don’t give a fuck if you think Bellingham, James or Foden are secretly crap footballers.
I don't. In fact I think they are all very promising players with many of the things previous generations of overrated English players did not have.
The intent was to rile people up.
Nope, but good to know you're so thin skinned.
Congrats on the US making the tournament btw, I know that’s often a struggle for you.
Jesus Deuterz, how low can you go with your deflections while never actually addressing my point about overrated players. Perhaps expectations are a little too high and have always been. Remember my points about no threat in the attack...functional MF...Macguire? Nope, I jsut hate the English says Deuterz (just you and HK if it makes you feel better). Even if this is a nothing cup in their eyes surely they'd want revenge after the first Hungary game? And to go out 4-0...wow, no wonder your ass is chapped.

Hell of a charge to make with no evidence. But it shouldn't surprise from the guy that often blames referee conspiracies.

I don't. In fact I think they are all very promising players with many of the things previous generations of overrated English players did not have.

Nope, but good to know you're so thin skinned.

Jesus Deuterz, how low can you go with your deflections while never actually addressing my point about overrated players. Perhaps expectations are a little too high and have always been. Remember my points about no threat in the attack...functional MF...Macguire? Nope, I jsut hate the English says Deuterz (just you and HK if it makes you feel better). Even if this is a nothing cup in their eyes surely they'd want revenge after the first Hungary game? And to go out 4-0...wow, no wonder your ass is chapped.

Statements aren't points.

We didn't go out of anything. Hungary did though, when we beat them 4-0 in Hungary in a match of actual importance (world cup qualifying). They got so angry at it that they racially abused our players. They can have their little victory in a glorified friendly.

Statements aren't points.
What the shit? Statements are points you numbnuts! I'm stating the fucking points as to why y'all keep disappointing.

We didn't go out of anything. Hungary did though, when we beat them 4-0 in Hungary in a match of actual importance (world cup qualifying). They got so angry at it that they racially abused our players. They can have their little victory in a glorified friendly.
What's that got to do with them doing the double over you in the last week or your players being overrated and expectations being too great? You trying to deflect again, Deuterz?

What the shit? Statements are points you numbnuts! I'm stating the fucking points as to why y'all keep disappointing.

What's that got to do with them doing the double over you in the last week or your players being overrated and expectations being too great? You trying to deflect again, Deuterz?

And they’re wrong. You’re just saying dumb things and expecting it to mean something to me. Maguire plays so the defensive options suck? He plays because he was in the team of the tournament for both the WC & Euros so the manager likes him. There are better options.

The attack isn’t threatening? Yeah Kane, Foden, Sterling, Saka, Grealish, Mount, Bowen etc are poor. Not to mention wing backs who out-produce most attacking players at club level. I’m sure this poor attack is nothing to do with the manager.

I don’t really give much of a fuck that they did ‘the double’ over us in the latest pointless competition. About as much of a fuck as I give about an American thinking English footballers are overrated. Go whack one out over Pulisic.

I'm not English but I still have a chuckle about Southgate's management in the Euro 2020 final. Brought on two subs to take penalties who both missed. Then had an 18 year old take a crucial one.

One of the more successful England managers but at the same time a total prat.

I’m not talking about you when I mentioned pitchforks. I'm talking about the people who are full on demanding his exit, chanting he doesn't know what he's doing, etc etc.

You're denying the ticket-buying fans in attendance their voice?

Maybe you didn't mean it in such a way, but of all people they deserve to have their discontent heard if that's how they feel...

In the past we've seen media-manufactured undermining of England managers by all sorts of mean (stings, scandals and exposés of various descriptions), but this isn't it..... It's grass-roots..... Why should GS be spared such legitimate pressure. He works for us; not the cunts at the FA.
Having a discussion about whether he's good enough is a different thing.

Which brings me back to my earlier point... Such discussion IS getting shut down.

(I'm not suggesting a deeper conspiracy; but it's happening none-the-less.......)

Right here right now, England fans may as well get behind the team & coach. Nothing is changing.

Once the dust settles; by means of resignation, dimming belief and a resurgent sense of apathy they more than likely will.... The ticket-buying England fans are damn committed bunch who are not unfamiliar with having their resolve tested.

My suspicion however is that GS could very well shit the bed at the WC and still the FA would be reluctant to pull the trigger.

Last edited:

Then they're suffering from the same ignorance that those who exhibit Europa League syndrome only to also moan about wanting to win things suffer from. Winners don't pick and choose..... Winners want to win any and every challenge put in front of them.

Then they're suffering from the same ignorance that those who exhibit Europa League syndrome only to also moan about wanting to win things suffer from. Winners don't pick and choose..... Winners want to win any and every challenge put in front of them.

The EL is a proper competition. The nations league is a money making operation designs to make friendlies more profitable.

It is crap. These games were more important for testing players out than anything else. That bit was a monumental failure .. couldn’t give a singular shit if we get ‘relegated’ or not from the nations league.

Back
Top Bottom