England v Hungary

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I’ve no dog in the fight but I think also some of these nations league games are a mismatch where some players for example (England and Scotland) aren’t at it for what ever reason and the opposition are up for it ( Ireland and Hungary)
Whereas in the traditional friendly service both teams don’t give a fuck and nothing matters.
I’m not sure Scotland being ‘at it’ makes a difference to their chance of winning.

I'm not accepting anything, I don't think Southgate is good enough.

The problem is there's 2 games before a world cup starts & the FA aren't going to sack him. He's also not going to step down. So it's pointless the fans/media chanting Southgate out and running around panicking about it.

I'm fully prepared for a disappointing World Cup. But I understand why he's being given it.
I'd imagine you're right on that front, but hypothetically, International management is probably the only situation in which you could replace the manager even with 0 games to go before the WC and it have negligible detriment to your chances.

Each round of fixtures is like starting a fresh almost anyway, different group of players, there's never any real consistency anyway that you would be sacrificing by a change at the top, and WC/Euros are really the only occasions where the group spends a real sustained period of time together to build fluidity and work on becoming a functioning unit.

When the only consistency you've got is turgid, disjointed, garbage, it's not worth clinging onto merely for the reasoning that the WC is so close.

I saw a quote from him the other day, that he would "block out the criticism" and continue to do his thing, that's fucking mental, just bury your head in the sand then Gary and pretend everything is fine and nothing needs changing, that will definitely help. He's either fucking stupid, or incredibly arrogant, I realise that he's not going to reveal to the press that it's a complete shit show and he doesn't have a clue what to do to sort it out, but the criticism is there for a valid reason, he should've acknowledged it and said that the team will continue to work hard and look for ways to do better.

Of course, words are pretty inconsequential anyway when you go on to get tonked 4-0 at home to Hungary.

But still, you're right, the FA won't rock the boat.

If they have any intention at all of winning the World Cup then they’ll sack Southgate and bring Pochettino in. The issue is that the FA are more interested in playing politics than football. So you’re right. Southgate will manage England at the World Cup. We’ll get knocked out at group stage and end up with Dean Smith or Sean Dyche as manager after he gets sacked.

Or if they were intelligent, they’d Carpe the fucking Diem and grab Pochettino now, the best manager that they will ever be able to get for England and set the team up for years to come.
sorry don't agree. Whilst GS definitely has his faults; I can't see how a manager like Poch whose success is down to working his players into the ground will do anything at international level.

Any new manager only has 2 friendlies to work with. Expect GS to revert back to conservative tournament format for Qater and we will progress to QF or SF. After Qater I would get shot

The thing about the Nations League is that it is only really beneficial to the lesser teams in terms of improving their Fifa ranking and giving them a shot at a play off for the Euros or World Cup.

For top tier teams it's a big inconvenience and winning it has almost no prestige

I can't see the point of going to the world cup with him in charge. Sack him. What've we got to lose?

Nah that's dumb, pointless sacking him now, he deserves the WC based on the past two tournaments, plus who you gonna replace him with now anyway?

But IMO that should be his last tournament, it's pretty clear he's taken the team as far as he can and they are starting to stagnate and go backwards, was always gonna be the case as he's a limited coach and his niceness was always going to get him so far.

He's basically the English OGS, the players and his bosses clearly like him which buys him a lot of time but he's been found out now, that style of management only gets you so far until you're found wanting.

There's not much point in applying pressure on him currently. There's two games and then it's the World Cup, he's going nowhere. Personally I'm happy if the media are keeping the knives away for now, it won't help the team at all if the media are all over their back.

Get to the World Cup, if he fucks that then the push for a replacement can start.
agree with everything you have said here

60929-36b15bcf-a08b-46f7-a2fb-66365d516a0d.jpg

Nah that's dumb, pointless sacking him now, he deserves the WC based on the past two tournaments, plus who you gonna replace him with now anyway?

But IMO that should be his last tournament, it's pretty clear he's taken the team as far as he can and they are starting to stagnate and go backwards, was always gonna be the case as he's a limited coach and his niceness was always going to get him so far.

He's basically the English OGS, the players and his bosses clearly like him which buys him a lot of time but he's been found out now, that style of management only gets you so far until you're found wanting.

Agree with this.

Absolutely zero point in changing things now - and actually would be unfair on whoever replaced Gareth at this point - to have that expectation of having to implement their changes with two games to go before the WC.

As you say 'it's pretty clear he's taken the team as far as he can and they are starting to stagnate and go backwards'. My concern is that going into the world cup with a lame duck manager is a lot more risky than going in with a new manager. Neither scenario is ideal but one more or less guarantees failure and the other one at least gives us a chance.

What happens if we get slaughtered in the two warm up games do we sack him then? Seems like a waste of a world cup to me. Get rid of him now and give the new bloke a fighting chance.

I have no clue who it should be but I reckon we have got a better chance without GS than with.

Whatever happened to that Mike Bassett bloke he seemed good. :contesmell:

I'd imagine you're right on that front, but hypothetically, International management is probably the only situation in which you could replace the manager even with 0 games to go before the WC and it have negligible detriment to your chances.

Each round of fixtures is like starting a fresh almost anyway, different group of players, there's never any real consistency anyway that you would be sacrificing by a change at the top, and WC/Euros are really the only occasions where the group spends a real sustained period of time together to build fluidity and work on becoming a functioning unit.

When the only consistency you've got is turgid, disjointed, garbage, it's not worth clinging onto merely for the reasoning that the WC is so close.

I saw a quote from him the other day, that he would "block out the criticism" and continue to do his thing, that's fucking mental, just bury your head in the sand then Gary and pretend everything is fine and nothing needs changing, that will definitely help. He's either fucking stupid, or incredibly arrogant, I realise that he's not going to reveal to the press that it's a complete shit show and he doesn't have a clue what to do to sort it out, but the criticism is there for a valid reason, he should've acknowledged it and said that the team will continue to work hard and look for ways to do better.

Of course, words are pretty inconsequential anyway when you go on to get tonked 4-0 at home to Hungary.

But still, you're right, the FA won't rock the boat.

Arrogance: 100%

He thinks we're some kind of goalscoring machine but - as per my last post - aside from battering the likes of Sam Marino our attackers rarely score.

sorry don't agree. Whilst GS definitely has his faults; I can't see how a manager like Poch whose success is down to working his players into the ground will do anything at international level.

Any new manager only has 2 friendlies to work with. Expect GS to revert back to conservative tournament format for Qater and we will progress to QF or SF. After Qater I would get shot

Revert back????

Lol..... What is this we're currently getting then?

Agree with this.

Absolutely zero point in changing things now - and actually would be unfair on whoever replaced Gareth at this point - to have that expectation of having to implement their changes with two games to go before the WC.

Or it alleviates all pressure?

.......Peeps have forgotten the basis on which GS himself took over.

I think to say that Southgate should be doing better with an exceptionally talented group of players is kind of overrating the players a bit. Players looked knackered too, it's a harsh period to judge a manager on.

With Chilwell out, I don't think there's a high level left back. Not sure if any of the centre backs are top level in a back four, maybe Stones when he's in form. Lots of 8/10 midfielders, no creative tempo passer.

Your best bet for the world cup is keeping it tight like you have in previous tournaments, but you need more from those wingbacks. Grealish is England's best sub and should probably be used as such.
I'd like to see him try:

Pickford
James - Dier/Maguire - Stones
TAA - Rice - Phillips - Chilwell/Saka
Sterling - Kane - Foden

As you say 'it's pretty clear he's taken the team as far as he can and they are starting to stagnate and go backwards'. My concern is that going into the world cup with a lame duck manager is a lot more risky than going in with a new manager. Neither scenario is ideal but one more or less guarantees failure and the other one at least gives us a chance.

What happens if we get slaughtered in the two warm up games do we sack him then? Seems like a waste of a world cup to me. Get rid of him now and give the new bloke a fighting chance.

I have no clue who it should be but I reckon we have got a better chance without GS than with.

Whatever happened to that Mike Bassett bloke he seemed good. :contesmell:

Agree

Get rid now

That was both shocking and embarrassing last night

Give Poch the Summer and a couple of games to turn it round

Can’t get any worse ffs

If England sacked him now and hired a proper manager then their chances at the WC wouldn't be diminished in the slightest, despite there being only two fixtures to go, honestly I think he could be replaced at any point up until announcing the squad and it would be fine.

International football is always disjointed, due to different squads picked for different sets of fixtures, lack of time spent together outside of tournaments and lengthy (arguably not lengthy enough...) gaps between get togethers. A new man coming in and getting the squad together in the build up to the tournament wouldn't be at a huge disadvantage IMO, and if he were actually a competent manager then the slight disadvantage would be offset by having a fucking clue what he's doing.

Southgate seems to me to be the type of guy that sees another manager doing something, e.g Conte and 343, so adopts the 3 atb system but without the actual coaching and tactics that go with it, then beats a few minnows, maybe a win against a former superpower now a shadow of it's former self, and gets lauded as some kind of genius. Then sticks to that setup for better or worse. He's an imposter.

Problem as far as finding a successor goes, is that club football wages are now so high I don't think the FA can compete, they either have to go second rate like Southgate, someone down on their luck, or find someone patriotic enough to take the job over better/more lucrative options at club level.

There's absolutely no chance Poch takes this job.

I think players absolutely love the Euros/World Cup/AFCON etc & view it as the pinnacle of their careers, but outside of those big tournaments sometimes struggle for motivation.
I kinda feel sorry for the Nations League....

It's never gonna have the prestige or importance of a WC or Euros.... people have ridiculed it as pointless... yet plenty complain at 'meaningless Friendlies' whenever they're played....

So what you have is essentially a 'meanigful' friendly tournament, bookending the close season...
I think we treat it as just that, a friendly with a bit more meaning... but not to get all riled if we don't win or progress in the thing.

I doubt it will have much, if any bearing on how we approach the WC...

The only positives that came out of last night was that the two Gooners didn't do themselves ANY favours, and that Kane stayed uninjured!

Time for a break I think....

Back
Top Bottom