England v Hungary

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Turgid, boring out of date football. Southgate is an absolute dinosaur of a manager. He is clueless and has no plan B.
Name me one Premier league club that would give him a job?
That's an insult to dinosaur manager's though, when used about someone like Mourinho the term refers to the fact that he was successful in a bygone era and has remained stuck in that time whilst football's moved on.

That in no way applies to Gareth Southgate, who isn't a has been, he's a never was, he's an alternate dimension Ryan Mason who won the LC in his first game and went on to win 8/8 in the league, and was given a long term contract to manage Spurs on the back of it despite it all just being a series of fortunate accidents.

I hate the term fraud in relation to modern football, it's used way too often to slag off a player for simply not being as perfect as you'd like to see on the pitch, but it sums up Southgate precisely, most of the posters on here could probably match his performance as England manager...

I hate the term fraud in relation to modern football, it's used way too often to slag off a player for simply not being as perfect as you'd like to see on the pitch, but it sums up Southgate precisely, most of the posters on here could probably match his performance as England manager...
Yeah I don’t know if you’re new round here but that’s not the case. Some of these guys would struggle to do up their boots.

so many gifted managers post on here. Really clued up people who could take any half decent team to the last 4 of the CL - no problems! They have all the answers

The real answer is that the players should have been on the beach two weeks ago

so many gifted managers post on here. Really clued up people who could take any half decent team to the last 4 of the CL - no problems! They have all the answers

The real answer is that the players should have been on the beach two weeks ago

Yeah, people are being very, very harsh. Crediting pure luck for us getting to the Euros final makes no sense. We drew Germany in the first knockout round, most England teams of the past go out there. And yes, that German team wasn't vintage, but they still battered Portugal & outplayed France in the group stages. They also had Neuer, Kroos, Goretza, Kimmich, Muller, Rudiger, Havertz etc. We beat them 2-0 comfortably but Southgate doesn't deserve any kind of recognition for that?

Right now we're in a bad spot. The football & results are both poor. But there seems to be a desire to rewrite history & pretend he's always been crap and somehow our team is so mega talented beyond everybody else that the players have just got through games anyway.

We were also the highest scoring team in the entirety of WC qualifying & scored 11 in the Euros despite playing two defensive midfielders under a conservative manager in a back 5. But hey, that wouldn't match the 'England's attacking players are crap & overrated' narrative, would it?

You wanna judge our attacking players off a handful of glorified friendlies? Go ahead. How many have France scored with their embarrassment of attacking riches? I guess they're all overrated as well. That or they play under a boring manager & probably aren't that bothered by these games either ... hm, I wonder which!

We were also the highest scoring team in the entirety of WC qualifying & scored 11 in the Euros despite playing two defensive midfielders under a conservative manager in a back 5. But hey, that wouldn't match the 'England's attacking players are crap & overrated' narrative, would it?

You wanna judge our attacking players off a handful of glorified friendlies? Go ahead. How many have France scored with their embarrassment of attacking riches? I guess they're all overrated as well. That or they play under a boring manager & probably aren't that bothered by these games either ... hm, I wonder which!
All of those things (including mine) could be true, Herr RD. Who was played in those qualifiers, RD? Since you are out here blowing the trumpet I can only assume Brazil, Italy, and Argentina*, right? You know, to add weight to the 11 goals argument.

Also, never said your attack is "crap". What I said was they have no "threat". Do you understand that, RD? Sterling is scary until you realize he needs it 1yd out in order to not sky it. And it is similar to all your attacking players. There is NO threat. At the club level there are foreigners to add the threat that the HG players don't possess...you know, like Sonny here at Spurs. Instead, England have Harry leading the line who prefers them on a plate as well. There is not inherent threat beyond boring folks to death. And the reason there is no threat is because the players are overrated due to their exploits aided by top shelf foreign players on their clubs. Left to their own devices you get what you got.

And you know exactly what I'm saying because it was part and parcel of your (very accurate and articulate) critique of Kulu when he came. But your happy clappy nature won't allow you to besmirch the good name of the English national team with accurate criticism.

*just making a point.

All of those things (including mine) could be true, Herr RD. Who was played in those qualifiers, RD? Since you are out here blowing the trumpet I can only assume Brazil, Italy, and Argentina*, right? You know, to add weight to the 11 goals argument.

Also, never said your attack is "crap". What I said was they have no "threat". Do you understand that, RD? Sterling is scary until you realize he needs it 1yd out in order to not sky it. And it is similar to all your attacking players. There is NO threat. At the club level there are foreigners to add the threat that the HG players don't possess...you know, like Sonny here at Spurs. Instead, England have Harry leading the line who prefers them on a plate as well. There is not inherent threat beyond boring folks to death. And the reason there is no threat is because the players are overrated due to their exploits aided by top shelf foreign players on their clubs. Left to their own devices you get what you got.

And you know exactly what I'm saying because it was part and parcel of your (very accurate and articulate) critique of Kulu when he came. But your happy clappy nature won't allow you to besmirch the good name of the English national team with accurate criticism.

*just making a point.

Here is a helpful list of teams you can support which are based in a country where you don't hate the fans or players.

(Just FYI, your shitey little rant about how English players only do well because of foreigners is both offensive & ludicrous in equal measure. Many of these players won their clubs player of the season award and were individually excellent. I never realised why you had such an axe to grind with Kane but now I know .. his nationality.)

Kane is not overrated. He just decides not to show off his KDB esque playmaking ability when he plays for England. It's intentional. Isn't that right Deuterz Deuterz ?

Kane is part of the English national team. And given we're in a thread about England, it's not trolling. We are talking about an English player's world class playmaking ability when he plays for the English national team.

I refer to a previous post where I despair at not being able to do it twice.

No interest in the tag team England hating pair. Go support clubs in countries you don't hate.

I refer to a previous post where I despair at not being able to do it twice.

No interest in the tag team England hating pair. Go support clubs in countries you don't hate.
You don't think todd1882 todd1882 is making any valid points about SOME English players being possibly overrated?

Kane looks like a world class playmaker whilst playing for Spurs - why not for England? He looks very bang average when playing for England, even if he is scoring in bunches against Albania and San Marino. Looked like shit against very mediocre opposition like Hungary.

Same point made re the other players.

You don't think todd1882 todd1882 is making any valid points about SOME English players being possibly overrated?

Kane looks like a world class playmaker whilst playing for Spurs - why not for England?

No. He said the English attackers have 'no threat'. I have zero interest in seriously engaging with such a dumb statement.

Because England play differently & don't have a player in the Son mould, more ball to feet wide players who like to dribble. The last time we had a player in this mould was Rashford but he's fallen off a cliff, see Kane playmaking in a 3-2 victory over Spain years back where Rashford performed a Son role brilliantly.

Go look at what posted in the Son thread. Korean fans are apparently desperate for a Kane type in their team who can actually find Son.

Because England play differently & don't have a player in the Son mould, more ball to feet wide players who like to dribble. The last time we had a player in this mould was Rashford but he's fallen off a cliff, see Kane playmaking in a 3-2 victory over Spain years back where Rashford performed a Son role brilliantly.
So now you admit Son gets the best out Kane.

Go look at what posted in the Son thread. Korean fans are apparently desperate for a Kane type in their team who can actually find Son.
Just watched the vid - I think it's obviously showing how night and day Son is relative to the English players Kane's got beside him.

You could probably do a vid for Sterling and KDB + City's other foreign players showing how the foreign players make Sterling look realllly good.

No. He said the English attackers have 'no threat'. I have zero interest in seriously engaging with such a dumb statement.

Yup, they even made a comparison video with the Saka miss side to side with Son's goal vs Leeds from very similar long balls. 80k+ views in one day suggests that this is a popular sentiment.

BTW, on the Rashford performance against Spain, I said at the time it might just be a fluke, but if it isn't, Southgate has finally figured out how to use his forwards... sadly it was a bit of a fluke.

Back
Top Bottom