England v Hungary

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Mount is an extremely good footballer with some huge moments already in his career. Extremely productive & his off the ball work is fantastic. He's been loved by every manager he's played under. I have no idea if he'd make a 22 man squad, he's still a very good footballer.

Tammy Abraham, who Roma fans loved last season & who had an excellent season. Who are other countries back up strikers? Brazil's starting one is Richarlison. Germany play Timo Werner. What is this reality you refer to?

What reality? European finalists who went out on penalties? Or is reality a 4-0 loss in a nations league friendly where the players aren't focused & are knackered? Is it really?

Okay but I don't see the quality in Mount that you do and don't see him making the kind of difference or impact that is needed.

I have always liked Abraham, but he ain't leading England to glory as a first or back-up striker in my opinion.

Okay but I don't see the quality in Mount that you do and don't see him making the kind of difference or impact that is needs.

I have always liked Abraham, but he ain't leading England go glory as a first or back-up striker in my opinion.

That's fine. There's plenty more promising players other than Mount.

He's a back up CF, and a better one I'd argue than many top nations possess.

The fact is that England are far from the only NT with deficiencies. Have a look at all the other top nations and you'll see a good few mediocre names in their XI's. You don't like England's strikers? Spain's are Morata & Gerard Moreno.

This isn't the golden era of NT's where the top countries had a good handful of bonafide world class stars in their lineups.

Walker, Trent, Chilwell, Rice, Henderson, Mount, Foden, Grealish, Sterling & Kane would all get in to pretty much any teams in the world.

The only funny one is that Grealish barely makes the City side - but to see people arguing about the England squad lacking quality is ridiculous.

As Notabadsquad has said above, England have virtually zero top top players and real difference makers that can make something happen out of nothing or grab the game by the scruff of the neck. They have a lot of good to very good players, but no one that stands out. I can't think of one single English player that's hands down their best player for their club. MAYBE Rice for a shit West Ham squad?
Er.

Kane?

Airfixx Airfixx Out of interest, if you had all the power, would you sack Southgate? Then if so, who would you (realistically) appoint?

You may have already answered this in which case sorry. Just interested to know what people think should be done.

Will we sack him? Nope.
Does he deserve it? Based on the last 12 months as a whole... If we are committed to the idea of winning the WC; arguably yes.
Should we? Without a likely candidate; no.

(Late reply..... You look to have been a bit busy in the meantime.)

Of course the manager has to take the blame. Look at us under Nuno, we looked like we couldn’t open a can of tuna even if given a chainsaw.

No one can tell me that a team of Kane, Maddison, Grealish, Mount, Saka, Bowen, Abrahams, Trent, James, Chilwell, Foden who are some of the best players for their teams including some of the best club sides in world football can’t score. Give those players to Pep or Klopp and you would open up pretty much anyone.

You would think we would know, look at AVB Spurs vs Poch Spurs or Nuno Spurs vs Conte Spurs. Night and day using mostly the same players. If you don’t have an attacking philosophy and straight jacket players in possession you can make any player boring, even prime Messi.

You haven't got the thread of what I responded to at all..... And I made no suggestion as to whether i expect to win every game or not either.

You're entirely wide of the mark in terms of what my take is......

Cranston Cranston

(Thanks for the condescending 'LOL' rating, but your retort was just a failed attempt to strawman a bunch of generic 'leave Gary alone' shit onto me.)

I've said numerous time that the win/loss aspect of the last 2 weeks does not concern me.

I've said on numerous occasion I'm concerned on the basis of the last 12 months that GS is failing to get our wealth of attacking talent firing against anyone but dregs (and have categorically evidenced this).

The post I replied made the threat of a "return to a conservative style of play" when we have not moved away from it in the first place... Hence my reply. GS hasn't become and attacking manager in the interim and it's bullshit to suggest otherwise. (Look no further than bringing on Phillips as a sub to try and save the 1-0 loss to Hungary when we had a ST on the bench..... If it's #OnlyAFriendly then roll the dice when you have nothing to lose; you may just learn something!)

Blooming squad quality and previous improvements (credit to Southgate where due there) have resulted in expecations being raised. In 2018 he had a free hit, but now it's big boy pants time.

The man's public analysis of these games has been a fucking joke.

Will we sack him? Nope.
Does he deserve it? Based on the last 12 months as a whole... If we are committed to the idea of winning the WC; arguably yes.
Should we? Without a likely candidate; no.

(Late reply..... You look to have been a bit busy in the meantime.)

Fair.

I think the lack of a candidate is a huge obstacle. The FA will stick to English candidates after the relative success of Southgate, I think.

And the options just aren’t there. I like Potter but a) would he come and b) is a system oriented young(ish) coach the right mould for international football?

We’re really bad in this country at producing top tier coaches. Had we done so then an older one with real coaching nous (like Enrique, Mancini or Flick) might have taken the reigns & combined the good stuff we’ve seen under Southgate with canny management in big games. We may well have won a trophy.

We noticed something was wrong with coaching young players in this country & took action, I think it’s now time we also recognised an issue with training coaches. It’s much cheaper in Germany for example to go and get your badges. As with many things in this country we’ve made it prohibitive and then wonder why there’s a shortage of talent.

Fair.

I think the lack of a candidate is a huge obstacle. The FA will stick to English candidates after the relative success of Southgate, I think.

And the options just aren’t there. I like Potter but a) would he come and b) is a system oriented young(ish) coach the right mould for international football?

We’re really bad in this country at producing top tier coaches. Had we done so then an older one with real coaching nous (like Enrique, Mancini or Flick) might have taken the reigns & combined the good stuff we’ve seen under Southgate with canny management in big games. We may well have won a trophy.

We noticed something was wrong with coaching young players in this country, I think it’s time we also recognised an issue with training coaches. It’s much cheaper in Germany for example to go and get your badges. As with many things in this country we’ve made it prohibitive and then wonder why there’s a shortage of talent.

FA is the biggest obstacle......

If the 'up through the ranks' mantra was to be followed then Aidy Boothroid was in line to succeed Gary........How fucking scary is that!?!?!?!?!

I'd make do with GS taking on an attacking coach as consultant in the meantime, but I suspect his ego and dedication to 'his' people won't let him.

Foreign coaches:

Crap choices (particularly Copplello) has tainted the FA's outlook on that front.

FA is the biggest obstacle......

If the 'up through the ranks' mantra was to be followed then Aidy Boothroid was in line to succeed Gary........How fucking scary is that!?!?!?!?!

I'd make do with GS taking on an attacking coach as consultant in the meantime, but I suspect his ego and dedication to 'his' people won't let him.

Foreign coaches:

Crap choices (particularly Copplello) has tainted the FA's outlook on that front.

It's something which will haunt us going forward. Conte was Italy manager at one point, he had a bang average squad and reached a final, only losing to arguably the best NT ever. That's the difference an elite coach can make. When was the last time England produced even one elite manager? Our best currently are probably Howe & Potter. I mean christ, I like them but compare them to the German coaches.

I think the FA have to really question whether sticking with English coaches is feasible in the future. Work on making attaining coaching badges cheaper & more accessible and in the meantime rely on foreign coaches because the talent just isn't there. And that's not just managers, but the whole coaching staff for the England team: how do they compare to most other top nations?

It's something which will haunt us going forward. Conte was Italy manager at one point, he had a bang average squad and reached a final, only losing to arguably the best NT ever. That's the difference an elite coach can make. When was the last time England produced even one elite manager? Our best currently are probably Howe & Potter. I mean christ, I like them but compare them to the German coaches.

I think the FA have to really question whether sticking with English coaches is feasible in the future. Work on making attaining coaching badges cheaper & more accessible and in the meantime rely on foreign coaches because the talent just isn't there. And that's not just managers, but the whole coaching staff for the England team: how do they compare to most other top nations?

Howe, Potter, Parker, Gerrard (?), Cooper.... In another 10 years things might look different, but there's a distinct likelyhood we'll have pissed away Golden Gen 2.0 by then.

What we do need is to stop with the foreign journeymen managers in the champo & EPL..... Elite like Conte etc. sure; the cream rises, but how many of these lesser guys offer any more than the best of the English crop?

.....Then again we had this debate over players a couple of decades ago.

Our player production/international development improved when the FA finally stopped being pig-headed about heeding the example of other nations. So far they don't seem to be prepared to follow suit in terms of manager qualifications/training. Unless I'm mistaken FA coaching badges are still significantly more expensive than anywhere else in the world.

Seriously Beech Beech falling on your sword over a fucking nations league game is dumb, nobody fucking cares if you go back on your word ya nipple.

Haha. Well I only said that because I planned to take a break from here for a while anyway. I post too much. But I'll just whinge less which will ultimately cut down my posts by about 50%! 😆

As Notabadsquad has said above, England have virtually zero top top players and real difference makers that can make something happen out of nothing or grab the game by the scruff of the neck. They have a lot of good to very good players, but no one that stands out. I can't think of one single English player that's hands down their best player for their club. MAYBE Rice for a shit West Ham squad?
Mad Max Reaction GIF

Walker, Trent, Chilwell, Rice, Henderson, Mount, Foden, Grealish, Sterling & Kane would all get in to pretty much any teams in the world.

The only funny one is that Grealish barely makes the City side - but to see people arguing about the England squad lacking quality is ridiculous.

I can understand the argument we lack a world class goalkeeper or a world class possession midfielder like Modric which is obvious so we do lack in certain areas.

But to say we lack in attack is crazy, other than Brazil and France we have on paper probably the strongest attackers of any country in depth. The idea that Pep couldn’t use Kane, Foden, Maddison, Mount, Grealish, Saka etc is laughlable. I mean one of them is a key player in his team and 2 others he is or was trying to buy.

Look at Nuno Spurs vs Conte Spurs, two totally different teams, an attacking manager would have alot to work with.

I'm glad you left out Saka

Back
Top Bottom