England v Hungary

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Quite simply the players have had a long season and couldn't give a rats arse about this competition. It seems to be the case amongst a lot of the top European teams and I get the feeling that behind closed doors they are sabotaging the comp on purpose out of spite at being forced to play in it.

This may well prove to be a mistake. England's confidence will be rock bottom and the fans will turn on them by the time the world cup comes around. I see England exiting in the group stages and taking an early bath.

The EL is a proper competition.

You've forgotten how rank some of our EL performances (collectively and individually) have been?

The nations league is a money making operation designs to make friendlies more profitable.

International equivalent of the Caraboa or Europa Conference plenty seem to argue.....

It is crap. These games were more important for testing players out than anything else. That bit was a monumental failure .. couldn’t give a singular shit if we get ‘relegated’ or not from the nations league.

You may recall I said numerous times over the last 2 weeks that I care little about the results themselves in these games......

This doesn't mean that as games (let's call them semi-competetive if it suits your take) they don't still have a roll to play in honing a) the team/squad/tactics etc. and b) the competitive mentality of the aforementioned team/squad/tactics.....

You stand to learn/develop/evolve a whole lot more from these than battering Andora 10-0 in the qualifiers or the previous bonafide friendlies..... Wasn't the whole pitch behind it from an FA, Southgate & player point of view that we at least get to play more games against bigger teams like Germany etc.

Maybe if we'd battered the tougher teams in the WC qualifiers one might be able to rationalise us taking our foot off the pedal a bit; but we were far from convincing in 3/4 of the remotely challenging WCQ fixtures too.

England 2 - Poland 1 (Kane Pen 19m + late winner Mcguire)
Poland 1 - England 1 (Kane 71m > Conceeded a late equalizer)
England 1 - Hungary 1 (Stones equalizer at 37m after an early pen.)

(Slight tangent now, but check this shit out)

Also see (since Sep 19) :

Czech Republic 2 - England 1 (Kane Pen)
England 2 - Switzerland 1 (Shaw 45m. Won thanks to a late Kane pen)
Denmark 0 - England 0
England 1 - Iceland 0 (Sterling Late Pen)
England 2 - Belgium 1 (1 x Pen, 1 x Mount)
England 0 - Denmark 1
Belgium 2 - England 0
England 1 - Romania 0 (1 x Pen)
England 1 - Austria 0 (Saka)
England 1 - Croatia 0 (Sterling)
England 0 - Scotland 0
England 1 - Czech Rep. 0 (Sterling)
England 2 - Denmark 1 (OG + Kane 104)
England 1 - Italy 1 (Shaw)
+ Current NL dross (= 1 x pen)

(Germany & Ukraine omitted as acknowledged commendable performances )

4 goals from MF/Attack in open play (See highlighted).....

......GS simply can't get our wealth of attacking players scoring or our creative players creating.

Shocking.

Last edited:
I met him once in a tapas bar in Surrey during the 90's when he was the Palace Captain.
Certainly grounded , polite , decent not your stereo typical brain fart footballer but maybe a little bland . Very pleasant , he seemed friends with the owner .
Unfortunately he mirrors his character , conservative and sacrifices flair for safety .
I don't think we will have any creative Renaissance under his management.

Last edited:
These games are totally unnecessary at this time of year, it will probably do England the world of good to be omitted from them next year.... however,we will still have to play friendlies anyway.

Belgium should be a warning. Their most talented collection of players probably ever. Won nothing with Roberto Martinez.
Now their players are either finished or right at the top of their hill they may regret having him oversee that opportunity. IMO, that squad could/should have won something at either of the last 2 tournaments.

Amazing performance by England yesterday. I heard it all on the radio and was totally captivated. Obviously Jonny Bairstow was MOTM.

I’ve no dog in the fight but I think also some of these nations league games are a mismatch where some players for example (England and Scotland) aren’t at it for what ever reason and the opposition are up for it ( Ireland and Hungary)
Whereas in the traditional friendly service both teams don’t give a fuck and nothing matters.

Bad night for all…

5afc2d85fa6f68c2542933b3ed68bfc3.jpg

Hey Deuterz Deuterz , maybe they're just a bogey team and I'm reading too much into it...

I'm pretty sure that 1953 Hungary were ranked #1 at the time, and Puskás played up front for them....

Last night was nothing of the kind!
England were either just shit, tired, lazy, couldn't be arsed, or all 4... one for each goal!

Agree 100%. The big thing for me is that you can predict how he will line up and how we'll lose. The pattern is there, failure can be attributed to him.
We will beat Iran 1 nil

We will draw with USA 0-0

We will draw with Wales 0-0

If we get anyone half decent in the last 16 we will go out.

Unless something drastically changes in Southgate*s approach.

Belgium should be a warning. Their most talented collection of players probably ever. Won nothing with Roberto Martinez.
Now their players are either finished or right at the top of their hill they may regret having him oversee that opportunity. IMO, that squad could/should have won something at either of the last 2 tournaments.
In fairness to marinez they won nothing before him either. And they were younger

We will beat Iran 1 nil

We will draw with USA 0-0

We will draw with Wales 0-0

If we get anyone half decent in the last 16 we will go out.

Unless something drastically changes in Southgate*s approach.
Wouldn't count on that Wales 0-0 too much either, We're a Bale worldie or Walker/Maguire howler from losing that one too.

As usual expect the last 16 game to start well for 10 mins before we're smothered by the opposition for 80 mins, while gary just stands and watches. Meanwhile Sterling once against refuses to pass, as Grealish, Foden, Bowen sit on the bench.

Then they're suffering from the same ignorance that those who exhibit Europa League syndrome only to also moan about wanting to win things suffer from. Winners don't pick and choose..... Winners want to win any and every challenge put in front of them.
Broadly speaking I agree, but the Nations League is totally and utterly fucking pointless.

They can call it what they want, but they’re friendlies.

Back
Top Bottom