Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Perisic and Spence are the right wing backs if this happens...
Don't rule out Doherty. He's very good at getting into the box and scoring. He's got a striker's instinct in the box, if not all the quality.

could be a very good wingback. Different from Sess in that he could hang back a bit and spam crosses.

Granted it was for Burnley, but 38 games last season with no goals, one assist, and 6 big chances created. Not very impressive I have to say and, oddly enough for a winger, his best stats were defensive ones.

Again, it was for Burnley so that might change perspective.

36 games?

Conte managed 28 unless you're including cups as well, if you're trying to analyse and draw a comparison then I'm not sure if it's wise to include those matches against the likes of Morecombe.

tottcontekane - Weren't you just getting all indignant and insisting that EPL is different to cup football?

Errrr...... yup. :harrysmile:

could be a very good wingback. Different from Sess in that he could hang back a bit and spam crosses.

Perhaps what you mean in this instance is different to what the phrase typically implies, but I hate the idea of us just "spamming crosses"....... Same reason why I was put off Kositc.

Last edited:
That can just as easily happen after year 3/5 as it can yr 2/4.......

If some petro-fucker comes calling our options are limited regardless..... City/Kane could have just as likely happened this summer instead of last and we'd still have a similar battle on our hands.... As we've seen from Haaland; they were never gonna wait around forever.
Personally I’d have preferred 5 years and hope there is the option

According to 90min, sharing news in the last 24 hours, there has been some movement at Tottenham Hotspur involving Burnley forward Dwight McNeil.

Spurs head coach Antonio Conte is not stopping after locking up a deal for Premier League star Yves Bissouma, according to reports.

Fabrizio Romano backs that the Lilywhites have their eyes on even more signings before the start of 2022/2023 as links continue to emerge for players across Europe.

The likes of Christian Eriksen and Djed Spence have reportedly been targeted by the north Londoners, but according to 90min, it appears there is another new target on Fabio Paratici’s mind.

Tottenham and their sporting director have allegedly entered the mix for McNeil after Burnley’s relegation to the Championship.

It is believed they have already made contact and ‘asked’ the Lancashire side about a potential deal, but their star man is in-demand, with Newcastle, Everton, Brentford, West Ham and Fulham also lurking.

THE VERDICT: MOVE FURTHER?
Called a ‘sensational player‘ by journalist Andy Jones of The Athletic, it’s safe to say McNeil has lived up to this tag over 2021/2022.

According to WhoScored, the 22-year-old was a Turf Moor untouchable last season with only goalkeeper Nick Pope playing more league minutes than Burnley’s starlet.
He also averaged more key passes and successful take-ons per 90 than any regular in the side and finished last season as Burnley’s second-best performer by average match rating (WhoScored).

The fact McNeil is homegrown may be another incentive to move given Tottenham’s troubling quota issues, and depending on his valuation, this move could be a shrewd one.
LWB? Can’t say I’m scrambling for him to compete for the front 3 options

Granted it was for Burnley, but 38 games last season with no goals, one assist, and 6 big chances created. Not very impressive I have to say and, oddly enough for a winger, his best stats were defensive ones.

Again, it was for Burnley so that might change perspective.
Last season was poor, but he was better before that.

2021 2g + 5a
2020 2g + 6a
2019 3g + 5a

From watching him play, I did notice that he's a bit like Regui in front of goal, so I wouldn't expect him to score loads for us.

What I remember of him is that he'd often be isolated, hugging the left touchline, and if the ball broke to him he'd have to carry it forward on his own 2v1, or 3v1 without any support and try to get a cross away. Often he'd run out of puff after getting past the first 2.

For a modest fee he could be another Trippier type signing.

That is a first for us. Normally we are haggling into the final day and end up creating issues for the manager in pre-season. If our business or vast majority of it is done early this is really big for us, Conte with his team and a proper pre-season.

Back
Top Bottom