Steven Bergwijn

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He was a funny one, obviously a pretty decent player, but never reached his full potential. I thought it was because he was shackled by an overly defensive role by Mourinho and would kick on under Conte but despite the odd flash of class he just never did it on a consistent basis.

Wish the guy all the best because he did have some marvellous moments, I just wish he had a few more.

Last edited:
Suppose I need a new avatar now...

Really liked the player and thought he could do more for us but it really can't be denied he didn't take advantage of his opportunities under Jose. Think he'll do very well for Ajax and wouldn't be surprised to see him move to another big club in a couple years.

And for all his lack of consistency, he's delivered some of my favorite moments of the past few seasons.

He'll absolutely thrive at Ajax, and we'll wonder what we let go....

He'll always have a place in my heart 'cos of Leiectser...
and as and when Moura leaves, we'll be reminiscing about Ajax away....

As it is, Bergwijn was a fantastic player, just not able to thrive in the current set up.

All the best Stevie, thanks for Leiectser.... That was fucking awesome!!!

Good luck to him. Liked him as a player… Just isn’t a good enough finisher for the top level.

He almost always gave his best when he played. He wanted to leave and we got a fair fee. Can’t ask for much more.

He'll absolutely thrive at Ajax, and we'll wonder what we let go....

He'll always have a place in my heart 'cos of Leiectser...
and as and when Moura leaves, we'll be reminiscing about Ajax away....

As it is, Bergwijn was a fantastic player, just not able to thrive in the current set up.

All the best Stevie, thanks for Leiectser.... That was fucking awesome!!!

Will be foolish to let ourselves fall into that trap:

Other recent Ajax stars in that position: Ziyech & Tadic..... Despite CL exploits; at EPL level, neither proved to be desirable.

I actually thought the opposite tbh. Kane looked pretty lean after Conte, but Bergwijn seems just as tubby as usual. He also seemed to breathe heavy even as a late substitute.

I always believed that it was partly why he never gained Conte's trust over Moura.
Kane .. agreed you could see the difference... But Bergwijn u/i could see it .. And yeah he panted.. but that's prob the difference between being fit and being match fit . moura was MATCH FIT... Which he got starting quite a few games and in gen got more minutes... Bergy was imo never match fit... you can put as many trainin hours in as u want but the ONLY way of gettin match fit ... Is to get minutes but hey ... He's history so no biggie

"So if you can go back to Ajax it’s quite tempting. They always do well in the league and the Champions League. So, it’s a step up for me".

Steven Bergwijn aims dig at his former club Tottenham
Dr Evil Whatever GIF

The 'step up' for him will be that he'll most likely start the majority of matches now...

It's as much a step up in expectation and fitness/stamina needed than a step up in clubs as such.

Although, to anybody Dutch, Ajax ARE a bigger club than Spurs, so in his mind, he probably feels he's justified.

He should have had more game time. I can understand his feelings - he’s right. Aside from the last six months he was here during some of our shittest periods in almost a decade. Mourinho and Nuno? Urgh.

Good luck to the lad. He’s a player

Can understand why he feels how he does but the guy should show a bit of respect and keep his mouth shut in public.

Absolutely........

Was very supportive of him when he was here, but he's getting on my tits..... Seems oblivious to the fact that he's leveled-down by going back to the Eridivise. This is not what vindication looks like.

He should have had more game time. I can understand his feelings - he’s right. Aside from the last six months he was here during some of our shittest periods in almost a decade. Mourinho and Nuno? Urgh.

Good luck to the lad. He’s a player

He failed to nail a starting spot ahead of Lucas...... That's on him.

Absolutely........

Was very supportive of him when he was here, but he's getting on my tits..... Seems oblivious to the fact that he's leveled-down by going back to the Eridivise. This is not what vindication looks like.

He failed to nail a starting spot ahead of Lucas...... That's on him.
Same, under Mourinho, I was of the view that he basically was a good player except for his poor finishing, better than Son in some respects too.

When he got less minutes than he "deserved" under Conte, I agreed that he should have been ahead of Moura, but I also felt that Bergwijn had no right to complain because until that point he was getting more minutes than he deserved.

The ever increasing whining fully turned me against him.

Same, under Mourinho, I was of the view that he basically was a good player except for his poor finishing, better than Son in some respects too.

When he got less minutes than he "deserved" under Conte, I agreed that he should have been ahead of Moura, but I also felt that Bergwijn had no right to complain because until that point he was getting more minutes than he deserved.

The ever increasing whining fully turned me against him.

I even felt for him after the Leicester heroics, but lets not lose sight of the fact that the arrival (and subsequent productivity) of Kulu was what proved the death-knell for his succession of chances to shine; nothing more sinister than that.

On reflection; he should have at least smashed it up in the Europa League under Jose (& the ECL this season), but we repeatedly had to bring on Kane & Son to save the day.

I’m sure he will have taken a pay cut to go to Ajax. They’re not lavish spenders ( the money isn’t in the Dutch game). Which is why they develop so many talented players only to see them leave for bigger pay packets elsewhere.

So in an era when you have players seemingly happy to collect their wages and not play (Bale, Ndombele, almost all of the Woolwich squad etc) I actually think it is refreshing that Stevie was frustrated by a lack of game time, and has (probably) taken a drop in wages to go somewhere where he’ll feature more. Fair play to the lad; it didn’t quite work out for him here despite the occasional glimpse of the player he could become.

Back
Top Bottom